The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old May 23, 2005, 11:20 AM   #1
cqbshooter

H&K P7M8 or USP.45 TACTICAL are they competitive in IDPA?

Hello,
I am brand new to this forum, so if I'm asking questions that have been answered let me know
I will be buying a new pistol for IDPA. I am very interested in using a H&K P7M8, or possibly the H&K USP45 TACTICAL ( if its legal).

Would these be competitive or would I suffer time wse due to reloading?
I have read various CoF's and feel like I'd be ok on about 70% of them but others I'd be reloading while others can finish a string because of their mag size.
Holster ideas are welcom also.

Don Curtis
cqbshooter

Last edited by cqbshooter; May 23, 2005 at 11:57 AM.
Old May 24, 2005, 09:58 PM   #2
tvdilbert

Two questions:

1. Why are you shooting in IDPA -- to practice with your carry piece, to "play the game," just to have fun?

2. Is competition your main reason for buying the gun?

If your main goal is to compete, then IMO you'd be better served by getting a gun more suited for competition. If you want to practice with your carry piece, get a gun suited for carry (the P7 would fit in here) and then shoot it in matches. If you just want to have fun, get whatever you want.

- Jon -
Old May 24, 2005, 10:21 PM   #3
outlier

Good post by tvdilbert....

For what it's worth I use a P7M8 for IDPA and everyday carry. My father does the same with his P7M13. Practice is my priority, but if I happen to beat him, that's okay too.
Old May 24, 2005, 11:00 PM   #4
Jim Watson

Questions for CQB etc.

Have you shot IDPA?
Do you already have a pistol even somewhat suitable?

If No and Yes then I suggest you give it a try before buying guns for the sole purpose.

I have seen good shooting done with a P7M8. You will occasionally have to make an extra reload versus 10 shot pistols. How about an M13?

According to catalog dimensions, the USP Tactical will fit The Box and be acceptable. It will leave you in better shape on reloads.
Whether carry guns on the range or match guns, H&Ks are darned scarce in IDPA. I know one guy shooting a USP Compact because it is his carry gun and that is about it. P7s are slightly more common but still way out in left field.
Old May 25, 2005, 03:36 PM   #5
cqbshooter

I have not shot a IDPA match yet....

I wish to shoot IDPA to become the best shooter I can. I can go out and shoot at the range 7' to 25' and hit what I'm shooting at, but I have never had to fire on the move or from cover. My desire is to be very good at this "game" as one reply called it.
Is this desire "to compete to win" not looked upon favorably in IDPA?
I think I'll ask this in another thread.....

Just wanted to shoot H&K's...to see if I could get good enough to compete with the GLOCK LORDS

Don Curtis
Old May 25, 2005, 08:41 PM   #6
Chris W

If you have it in mind to be highly competitive, realize that others do, too, and that you can't afford to be giving things up from the start. That means not giving up an extra shot in your mag, with the P7M8, or not giving up the full weight of a .45 for CDP (and the arguable advantage of a 1911 trigger). Lots of the people who are already competing are serious about it, and have landed on their overwhelming majority choices for good reasons: Glocks and 1911's, for the most part.

Even in the doublestack configuration, the P7 has a shorter sight radius than guns you'd be running against, I believe.

I'm with Jim; if you have or can borrow a gun that's remotely suitable, go out and give it a couple tries, and see what others are doing and ask them why, before you make an expensive decision.
Old May 26, 2005, 10:18 PM   #7
Handy

I found my M8 to be a near ideal IDPA gun. No one changed mags as fast as I could with that gun, and double taps were practically unconcious.
Old May 29, 2005, 11:15 AM   #8
ted murphy

I love the M8 very much. Ideal carry gun for guys who love the 9's. I should have bought a couple when they were unloading the NJSP guns for $700.00's.

I have several friends who use them in IDPA. You get boned a bit on the 18 shot stages because you have to reload them twice, but other than that, they are an exceptional gun.

Gun is small enough, I bet one could make a 9 shot extended mag and still have it fit in the box.

Ted
Old June 26, 2005, 10:14 AM   #9
HKGuns

I've been shooting my M8 in IDPA for a couple of months. The double taps are quite nice. The gun is faster than any of the others to bring into action.

I'm going to stop shooting my M8 as I don't want the wear and tear on such an expensive pistol. Which is where I am at now, I'm looking for a suitable replacement. Thus far, I'm having a difficult time finding one.
Old June 26, 2005, 04:31 PM   #10
Jim Watson

I would not - DO not - worry about wear and tear on an expensive pistol that I can shoot well. It is there to serve me, not me it. In your fix, I would be looking for a spare P7, not a "replacement." Two ought to be a lifetime supply.
Old June 28, 2005, 01:27 AM   #11
HKGuns

You know, you're right Jim. After thinking about it I don't know if I'd find a replacement I shoot and like as much. However, there's always that 8 round magazine handicap......Hmmmm, maybe an M13 in my future.