The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 1, 2018, 05:37 PM   #1
stagpanther

My second rossi 92 44mag carbine

I was just recently talking to another forum member about how much I like this gun--my SS one that I bought about 8 years ago became one of my favorite guns--not because it's well made--not because it's especially accurate--but because at 4.8 lbs and the perfect size for my LOP comfort, and the way it tames screaming hot 44 mag loads. So today I saw the blued version, used--but the bore looked immaculate and except for a few dings on the stock it looked hardly used. I probably overpaid at $500; but they tossed in the padded scabbard and some targets so I'm good with that.

Took her out and immediately put a bunch of cartridges through her--shoots a bit left and much too high--even with the elevation at the lowest setting on the rear buckhorn. I'll probably end up putting the same irons on this that I did on my other Rossi 92. This one is just as much full bore fun as the other one; I love these things.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rossi44mag.jpg (194.7 KB, 697 views)
Old September 1, 2018, 06:27 PM   #2
stagpanther

Dang it--don't know how I miss posted this to semiautomatic--I though I clicked on bolt guns etc.

admin please move to proper category--thank you (sorry again).
Old September 1, 2018, 08:47 PM   #3
PatientWolf

Congratulations! I’m really glad you were able to find one.

Levers are a lot of fun and I think those Rossi’s are very under-rated.
Old September 1, 2018, 11:06 PM   #4
Chainsaw.

I was just waxing reminiscent of my old rossi lever in 44 mag. Back before they put the 90° safety on the bolt. Loooooove that thing. Absolute tac driver!
Old September 2, 2018, 02:28 AM   #5
stagpanther

Quote:
I was just waxing reminiscent of my old rossi lever in 44 mag. Back before they put the 90° safety on the bolt. Loooooove that thing. Absolute tac driver!
I think it's one of the few guns that I have--and I have lots--that is "just right." Meaning, for me, the light weight, easy to handle in thick brush and ease of shooting freehand--plus capable of putting out a powerful load at modest ranges--makes it so much fun to shoot.

I discovered the stock has actually been dinged up more than I saw at first glance--I'm pretty sure it's made of the same Brazalian soft balsa wood density type wood my other 44 mag Rossi is. The previous owner had also drifted the windage settings for both the front and rear sights way to the left for some reason.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2rossis.jpg (175.7 KB, 615 views)

Last edited by stagpanther; September 2, 2018 at 03:11 AM.
Old September 2, 2018, 10:34 AM   #6
stagpanther

Decided to "operate" for the elevation issue--it was during that I discovered what a masterful job the previous owner had done to conceal the dings and damage to the gun from bashing around the sights. LOL--that's what I get for not bring a microscope with me to examine the gun more closely.

Put a dot of white paint on the front bead to make it more visible--will put a smaller black one in it when the white is dry. I also dremeled down the notch in the rear buckhorn to give it a bit more elevation for the bead--but had to file down the top of the elevator ladder adjuster in order to get the extra elevation and not have an obstructed view. Will test today and finish (hopefully) zeroing the sights)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg sight-job-rossi.jpg (157.7 KB, 603 views)
Old September 2, 2018, 11:40 AM   #7
COSteve

To help you with avoiding more dings in the soft wood as well as giving it a more rich color, you might want to apply a couple of coats of WATCO Danish Oil, Medium Walnut to your stocks. I applied it right over the stock finish after I just cleaned it thoroughly but didn't sand anything. The finish takes about a week to cure and it gives a durable finish that resists dings and gives the Brazilian mystery wood a rich color. You can adjust the sheen by how you rub it into the wood. I've done both of my Rossi 357mag leverguns, a 20" carbine and a 24" rifle and the difference is significant.

From this dull, lifeless factory finish on my carbine:

To this deep, rich colored finish now:

If anything, the difference is actually more than the 2 photos suggest and now some 9 years later, they both have survived bumps and scrapes with their much harder and more durable finish.

Old September 2, 2018, 11:53 AM   #8
stagpanther

Fantastic work Steve! I noticed also the bottom photo that you added a rear tang peep and what looks like the the Lyman's front cylinder iron with swap-out reticles--I have one of those also but the fit is a bit awkward due to the proximity of the front magazine barrel band.
Old September 2, 2018, 12:15 PM   #9
COSteve

Yep, the tang sight is a Marbles and the front is a Lyman 17A with Lee Shaver Globe Inserts which are much better than Lyman's as they are finer. In addition, I've re-installed the Marbles folding rear sight I got first for it sometime after this pic was taken.

The tang and globe sights give me a 30" sight radius and with the .042" dia target aperture so close to my eye, I get a Depth of Field that allows me to see both the front sight and target (no matter how far away) clear as a bell!! It's why I can use it to shoot at steel plates at 300yds with a 158grn pistol bullet.
Old September 2, 2018, 03:48 PM   #10
stagpanther

Went out and shot some of my pet loads that I developed for my other Rossi--they seem to shoot pretty well out of the "new used" gun as well. Even with the buckhorn notch deepened, and the bead all the way at the bottom of the cut-out I had to cover the POA in order to get the elevation right at 50 yds. Putting a taller front blade on isn't easy because Rossi puts the barrel band directly in front of the dovetail slot.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 44mag-50yds.jpg (237.7 KB, 582 views)
Old September 2, 2018, 11:56 PM   #11
Rifletom

stagpanther, you may want to check out Skinner sights for your Rossi.
BTW, congrats on the find. Good looking rifle. Enjoy.
Old September 3, 2018, 04:52 AM   #12
stagpanther

Quote:
stagpanther, you may want to check out Skinner sights for your Rossi.
BTW, congrats on the find. Good looking rifle. Enjoy.
Thanks--I did check skinner out--bought them and put them on my SS Rossi--just didn't like them. The elevation adjustment by aperture rotation drove me nuts.
Old September 3, 2018, 02:57 PM   #13
stagpanther

Tried going out to 100 yds--did not go well. Among other things--the rear sight bridge with the notches would fail on recoil and jump back to the lower setting--took me about 20 shots to realize that.

I'll get the marble's bullseye soon and Williams front foresight--that's what I have on the SS Rossi and they work great for me.
Old September 4, 2018, 06:20 AM   #14
jersurf101

Nice new addition! I have had a Rossi 92 in. 357 mag for about 7 years and after some smoothing of some rough internals she runs very well.

COsteve: I noticed the stock appeared stained but unfinished on my 92. After a lot of sanding I found a light greenish mystery Brazilian wood. I stained the stock back with American walnut minwax and finished with spar varnish. I hunt about 15 miles from the Pamlico sound and it's a salty/humid environment and the stock has held up well and looks good. I really like your method as well. The stock looks great.
Old September 4, 2018, 11:16 AM   #15
the possum

Quote:
Among other things--the rear sight bridge with the notches would fail on recoil and jump back to the lower setting--took me about 20 shots to realize that.
I had the same issue with my .454 version. So I flipped it around and installed it backwards. It looks funny that way, but at least it can't slip under recoil now.
Old September 4, 2018, 12:21 PM   #16
stagpanther

Quote:
I had the same issue with my .454 version. So I flipped it around and installed it backwards. It looks funny that way, but at least it can't slip under recoil now.
interesting!
Old September 4, 2018, 01:18 PM   #17
4V50 Gary
Staff

That tang sight and color finished receiver.
Old September 19, 2018, 09:49 PM   #18
ifithitu

I want to put a peep sight on my Rossi 92 .44 Magnum. Any suggestion on what name brand would be a big help thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 42218089_1879806952098038_313423576273256448_n.jpg (37.1 KB, 25 views)
Old September 19, 2018, 11:39 PM   #19
stagpanther

Quote:
I want to put a peep sight on my Rossi 92 .44 Magnum. Any suggestion on what name brand would be a big help thanks.
The skinner aperture sight is quite popular--but you will also need to replace the front sight in order to get the right height. The problem for me with the Rossi 92 is that the rear sight is pretty far out on the barrel, so the sight radius between the front and back is pretty short compared to a receiver or tang mounted sight. You may need some drilling and tapping to get peeps further back than the dovetail on the barrel. I've found for my bad eyes that the marbles bullseye ghost sight works very well as an easy replacement for the stock Rossi buckhorn. But again you will need a replacement higher front--I'd highly recommend a higher firesight type front sight to go with it since the small beads tend to be very hard to focus on for me. Another issue with the front is that Rossi puts the dovetail right next to the front barrel band, so you may need to grind down the front base a bit if it's a longer sight typically made to fit other rifles like marlins. It's easy to do and well worth it IMO.
Old September 20, 2018, 05:57 AM   #20
jetinteriorguy

I totally get how you feel about having the little lever. This is exactly how I feel about both of my Henry Big Boy Steel rifles. They fit me perfectly and are just a blast to shoot, the .357 for fun and the .41 if things get more serious. Every time I have ever let my friends shoot them they always say they want one.
Old September 25, 2018, 06:48 AM   #21
Auto5

Steve's Gunz sells a nifty little peep sight that replaces the safety.

https://store.stevesgunz.com/index.p...6qqja6175cn3i3

The standard aperture is just a bit small for my aging eyes, but other sizes are available.
Old September 25, 2018, 07:03 AM   #22
stagpanther

I hunt with my Rossi 92's--and as sinful a heresy it may be--I actually like the safety.
Old September 25, 2018, 07:22 AM   #23
Hawg

My Rossi 92 in 44-40 wears a Marbles Full Buckhorn.
Old September 25, 2018, 01:34 PM   #24
Salmoneye

Here's what I did to one of my Marlin 1894's in .44 Mag...

It's a peep from an old (broken) Winchester single shot .22LR...

Sight is Model #96A/B...They come up quite often on the auction sites...

Works well with the stock front sight...

Old September 25, 2018, 02:56 PM   #25
stagpanther

That's a beauty rear iron!

A friend recently showed me a hand-me-down Remington 41P 22lr rifle (I cleaned and adjusted the rifle for him--shoots fabulously with the irons), made between 1936 and 1939 and comes with a "flip up" rear iron which is an ingenious windage and elevation adjustable peep beside the bolt. What a beautiful design. They just don't make em like they used to. LOL