The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 17, 2023, 02:02 PM   #51
jackstrawIII

Quote:
How is the grip size of the M+P?
If it's the same as the M&P45 grip size, it's perfect. I don't have overly large hands either, and I find it noticeably more ergonomic than the Block/Glock.
Old October 19, 2023, 08:04 PM   #52
44caliberkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder45 View Post
If money is no concern, buy two guns:
  1. Pick any auto-pistol. Doesn't matter which,'cuz it won't end up being your favorite.
  2. Look for a late-first generation, pre WWII, Colt Single Action revolver in 38-40, buy it and have a competent gunsmith fit an extra 10mm cylinder to it and see what happens from there.
Interesting and unique solution.
Old October 20, 2023, 01:11 AM   #53
ballardw

Look at any of the Ruger Blackhawk, Redhawk or GP100 10mm versions?
Old October 20, 2023, 11:18 AM   #54
Dashunde

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDC
I know there are a lot of 10mm pistols available now, so which one/ones would you recommend for general shootability? I will mostly be shooting paper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDC
I will also be using the pistol when traversing wilderness areas in the mountain west. I want something that is robust enough to handle real 10mm loads like the afore mentioned BB etc., ammunition
Those two situations are pretty much two different guns.
I live in Idaho and have a G40, G29, DW Kodiak, Razorback (and a Valor in 45, I like DW).

The G40 is the all around 10mm I'd pick, but its not awesome at anything except delivering 10mm quickly. It's ok on paper, but slide fit isn't perfect and the sights are just mediocre, so as with any Glock pure accuracy isn't there, shooting steel is much more fun than seeking precision out of that gun. The 40 is pretty big so fully loaded its a lot to hike with. Here in ID I hike/ATV with a G29 loaded with Underwood copper mono's usually carried in a Hill People Gear Snubby chest bag. Depending on the season, during trips up north I carry the 29, 40 or a 629 44mag in a Gunfighters Kenai open chest rig (different kydex for the 629).

So in short, the DW Kodiak is best for paper, the G29 is best for hiking, the G40 is ok at both and its biggest advantage is it tames 10mm well and has good capacity. Lastly, the G29 is no fun at all to target shoot, so dont go there.
A G20 might be the best all arounder for you?

Note on the G40mos.. I have a HE508T on my G40, but I take it off when carrying in the woods. It has a long enough slide and a glance is all it takes to get on target, the dot messes that up for me. I've tried it both ways on steel at 10 and 25 yards, I'm waaaay faster at 10 yards without the dot, and about the same at 25. Point is, I'd rather not be trying to look at a bear through framed glass.
Old November 2, 2023, 10:16 AM   #55
wild cat mccane

At 1,300, this is probably the top 10mm option that isn't a 1911. Just learned of the model so passing it along.

https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/tfgoldm10
Old November 2, 2023, 06:31 PM   #56
44caliberkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild cat mccane View Post
At 1,300, this is probably the top 10mm option that isn't a 1911. Just learned of the model so passing it along.

https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/tfgoldm10
Wow, I like that one. Have always been a Tangfolio Witness fan. I may have to ad another 10 mike mike to the stable. I just bought an RIA, can’t have too many 1911’s. I couldn’t pass it up at the old price, NIB for $450, as compared to the recent higher price ($640’s). Hopefully will be done harvesting corn on Saturday and will have some good weather next week to shoot it and post a range report.
Old November 16, 2023, 05:01 PM   #57
44caliberkid

I was looking for a 10mm RIA, but the prices had gone up about $200. Was keeping an eye out on GB and found two, NIB, at the old price, $450, but one was $70 for shipping and the one I bought was $19 for shipping. Took it out over two days and put about 120 rounds through it. Started with Federal red box and some Ammo Inc. One thing about Philippine pistols is they need to wear in. Slide and barrel fit were very tight, no rattles. First 8 rounds were centered but had vertical stringing about 8 to 10 inches. As I burned through 100 rounds things stayed more clustered in the middle. All groups were fired at 25 yards. The last 20 rounds were my own handloads, some with Power Pistol and the last group (pictured) with 800X. My reloads are hot. 180 grain XTPs. 1200+ fps. The 800X loads were the best of all ammo fired.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_2529.jpeg (86.0 KB, 31 views)
Old November 21, 2023, 11:19 AM   #58
gnappi

I have a Tanfo hunter, it's one of if not the best 10 of the many I've owned.
Old November 22, 2023, 07:29 PM   #59
JustJake

No flys on those 10mm 3rd Generation S&Ws!
Old November 28, 2023, 10:01 AM   #60
John D

Got a 10mm Kimber because I enjoy my .45 Kimber so much! Strong and dependable.
Old December 8, 2023, 02:31 PM   #61
lightstar actual

Having owned a couple of G20s, and an S&W 610, I was surprised that I ended up owning (and keeping) a Springfield XDm 4.5 OSP 10mm. Fitted it with a Holosun HS507c V2 and with the factory match-grade barrel it's a tack driver. Fit my hand the best and with 15+1 it's got enough ooomp going for it. Finding a holster was a "saga" but it's built like a tank and runs like a sewing machine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg xd 10 c.jpg (743.3 KB, 15 views)
Old December 8, 2023, 11:49 PM   #62
AlaskaMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightstar actual View Post
Having owned a couple of G20s, and an S&W 610, I was surprised that I ended up owning (and keeping) a Springfield XDm 4.5 OSP 10mm. Fitted it with a Holosun HS507c V2 and with the factory match-grade barrel it's a tack driver. Fit my hand the best and with 15+1 it's got enough ooomp going for it. Finding a holster was a "saga" but it's built like a tank and runs like a sewing machine.
I see this is your first post--welcome!

I've been very happy with my XDM Service Model in 10mm as well. I absolutely agree about the holster situation too, unfortunately. However, I also have an XDM target model with the 5" barrel, and I have to say the holster situation is even worse for it.

While I shoot them well, I've never liked the Glock grip angle. And while the XDM series isn't perfect from my view, it certainly has a grip angle that I find far more comfortable and intuitive. Also, even though both the Glock and the XDM are striker fired pistols, I find the stock trigger on the XDM to be noticeably better than the Glock trigger, regardless of generation. Of course, both the Glock and the XDMs have aftermarket triggers available.