The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 3, 2023, 12:08 PM   #1
Skarekrow88

German Type III Vis 35

I won what I believe to be a late war Nazi made Vis 35 (P35(p)) on gunbroker for what I felt like was a pretty decent price. I had the opportunity to handle and inspect it a little bit prior to it being put on gunbroker because it was listed by my LGS.

After doing a “deep clean” I noticed what I hope is a late-war manufacturing defect and not a result of corrosion. . It was much more rough before I took the picture but I cleaned it up a little by knocking away some burrs. No signs of rust that I can see which leads me to believe it isn’t corrosion. Anyone else see this in theirs? Is this pistol safe to shoot? Here’s a picture of it when I first picked her up before I did any cleaning
Old October 3, 2023, 12:22 PM   #2
RickB

Do you know that they're not all like that?
I've never seen another pic inside the slide of a Vis 35.
Old October 3, 2023, 12:27 PM   #3
Skarekrow88

I do not, no. Hoping someone else here owns one or at least knows more about them than me.
Old October 3, 2023, 06:43 PM   #4
highpower3006

I have a couple of them. I‘ll take a look at them and let you know.
Old October 3, 2023, 07:16 PM   #5
Skarekrow88

Great. Thanks highpower, I appreciate it.
Old October 3, 2023, 08:47 PM   #6
Don P

Poor picture quality. What are you looking for as far as answers? What do to think is wrong? I have an early war time production one.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old October 4, 2023, 02:31 AM   #7
rock185

I've seen that ragged edge cut there on other pistols, e.g., S&W semi-autos, commercial Browning Hi Powers, etc. It looks ugly, but may very well be normal. I have sometimes smoothed off that edge just because I thought it might be an excellent place for a crack to start. I was probably overly concerned. I've not actually heard of any issues with that thin ragged edge..
Old October 4, 2023, 02:49 AM   #8
veprdude

You definitely have a late-war VIS 35. I bet your "safety" is non-functional. Also note the 3 rolled over pins in the rear by the hammer. That's where early slide locks attached.
Old October 4, 2023, 05:20 AM   #9
highpower3006

I looked at the slides on both my "N" and "S" block Model 35 three lever and they are machined exactly the same as yours is.

You do indeed have a late war two lever. It should provide hours of entertainment putting it back together. The third lever is for disassembly and is not a safety and with it eliminated it is just about a three handed job to get everything lined up to install the slide release. The lever on the slide is a hammer drop and is not in the strictest of terms a safety either.

Old October 4, 2023, 10:09 AM   #10
Skarekrow88

Thanks again Highpower. Good to know that’s just how they were machined apparently. Disassembly and reassembly of the Type III really isn’t that bad since the decocker doubles as the take-down lever. It catches on a notch cut into the hammer.