The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 5, 2023, 06:47 AM   #26
stagpanther

Quote:
I did check gun broker and buds and they both sell a single shot by traditions and CVA, in the 5 Whelen, but not the other two. and since I reload , that would be my choice
I just did a google search and couldn't believe I couldn't find a single new commercial bolt gun in 35 whelen--I guess the market has decided to deep-six it. Since CVA uses Bergara parts that's the way I'd go if staying single-shot.
Old October 5, 2023, 09:23 AM   #27
ligonierbill

Well, it's 101 years old. From the time between the Great War and the Great Depression. Lots of classics were developed during that period (great for rifles, not so good for whiskey). But realistically, there are enough used rifles out there to supply us old farts. You won't see many new 300 Savage or 300 H&H rifles either. The good news is, while it's not exactly cheap, you can have most anything you want, and reloading industry will supply powder and shot. And hey, would you rather be packing a cartridge the calls itself 'Legend' or one that actually is one.
Old October 5, 2023, 10:40 AM   #28
FrankenMauser

I believe the modern drop in sales of .35 Whelen is closely linked with the slow death of Remington.

Remington was the primary supplier of loaded ammunition, which they have not brought back. They also offered the M700 in the chambering on occasion, which they have not brought back.

H&R Handi-Rifles were, for 10+ years, the most popular seller with a .35 Whelen chamber. When Remington decided to kill that product line, it left (only?) CVA and TC in the single-shot .35 Whelen market - both of which were more expensive. CVA couldn't keep up with the low demand that they already had, let alone try to adjust for any possible increased demand.

Marlin had plans to chamber the XL7 in .35 Whelen, but H&R decided to sell itself (and Marlin). So that got delayed. Remington never picked up that ball, even when killing off the X7 and reintroducing it as the 783 under the Remington brand.

Now, Ruger owns Marlin but has no interest in building bolt guns under the name.
And PSA owns the H&R name, and has no interest in bringing back the single-shots.
Old October 5, 2023, 12:13 PM   #29
MarkCO

You probably are at least mostly correct FrankenMauser. So too, the .260Rem is going to slowly die off for similar reasons.

The new cartridge's are more efficient and they don't have a "name" associated with them that is the competitions. More manufacturers are apt to chamber a cartridge devoid of their competitions branding.

The "market" for old, standard bores over .30 caliber has never been big to start with, and lever guns seem to hold more appeal in the over .30 caliber for the woods of the East. In the West, everyone seems to want a magnum for the Elk they never seem to be able to find closer than 700 yards.
Old October 5, 2023, 01:09 PM   #30
stagpanther

Quote:
In the West, everyone seems to want a magnum for the Elk they never seem to be able to find closer than 700 yards.
They can get that close?
Old October 5, 2023, 01:52 PM   #31
HiBC

I used to have a 35 Whelen I built on an 03A3 bare action I bought at a gun show. (No milsurp rifle was harmed)
I really liked the rifle. I was using Speer 250 gr bullets and (IIRC) h-380
This was before I bought a chrono. Probably around 2600 + or -.

200 yd sight in and 300 yd practical range for myself. (You do you)

A darn useful hunting tool.

I think the introduction of better bullets took something away from the mid bores.
For elk,moose,bear, ( at least in our imaginations ) with common cup and core bullets larger bore and heavier bullets were more reliable for penetration.
As an Elmer Keith fan,I just had to build a 35 Whelen. And,it was "different".

But the bullet makers started bonding cores and making Swift A-frames and Nosler partitions and monolithic bullets. Bullet disintegration became less of an issue. In general terms, a 308 is enough to get about any North American game killed and trajectory wise,the 308 and 35 Whelen are reasonably close.

Sure,I think a 338-06 or a 35 Whelen would have a little more "Whomp" .

But are they a GREAT advantage over a 30-06? In 1962 I'd give it a "Probably so" Today? Not so much.

Love your 35 Whelen!! Great cartridge! But a 30-06 you can find ammo any place that sells ammo. You get a better trajectory. And with partitions,AccuBonds, Barnes,etc the bullet won't fail.

The niche/need has diminished. Today, you shoot a 35 Whelen because you want to. And thats good enough. It still works.
Old October 5, 2023, 03:48 PM   #32
FrankenMauser

I miss .35 Whelen. I need to finish the project rifle, so I can enjoy it again.

Quote:
In the West, everyone seems to want a magnum for the Elk they never seem to be able to find closer than 700 yards.
When you see a sweaty, overweight man with a scoped Browning BAR in .338 WM, you know you're looking at a man that usually harvests about 38 lbs of pre-ground meat from an elk, after expending every cartridge within reach (usually at least one full box).

Though, times have changed a bit. Seems to be more of the chassis rifle, high speed / low drag type of shooters and rigs now.

But that's another subject...
Old October 5, 2023, 04:20 PM   #33
MarkCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenMauser View Post
I miss .35 Whelen. I need to finish the project rifle, so I can enjoy it again.

When you see a sweaty, overweight man with a scoped Browning BAR in .338 WM, you know you're looking at a man that usually harvests about 38 lbs of pre-ground meat from an elk, after expending every cartridge within reach (usually at least one full box).

Though, times have changed a bit. Seems to be more of the chassis rifle, high speed / low drag type of shooters and rigs now.

But that's another subject...
I actually do Elk hunt with a .338-06. 39 Elk so far.

But yes, times have changed, and I am sad about it to be honest. I guess that makes me an old fart. But I've told the boys that after 60, no more bull tags, and I will be much more choosy about even cow tags...if I am even in CO then.
Old October 5, 2023, 05:07 PM   #34
stagpanther

60? Oh to be young again!
Old October 5, 2023, 10:02 PM   #35
44 AMP
Staff

considering that the .35 Whelen survived about 60 years as a wildcat with no factory chambered rifles for it, I wouldn't close the lid on it just yet.

There are a number of chamberings that aren't produced constantly or every single year.
Old October 6, 2023, 01:45 AM   #36
ballardw

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
They can get that close?
Actually 75 yards or so.

But never when I have an elk tag.
Old October 6, 2023, 07:29 AM   #37
stagpanther

Quote:
But never when I have an elk tag.
Immutable truth of hunting (along with out of season or wrong weapon).
Old October 6, 2023, 08:25 AM   #38
MarkCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
Immutable truth of hunting (along with out of season or wrong weapon).
Yep. I had a Buck Deer step over my legs...when I was Elk hunting. Had a 7 pt. Bull Elk play ring around the Pine Tree with me...while I was Deer hunting.
Old October 6, 2023, 10:26 AM   #39
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP
considering that the .35 Whelen survived about 60 years as a wildcat with no factory chambered rifles for it, I wouldn't close the lid on it just yet.
It also had a resurgence a few years back in single shot rifles with exposed hammers, as states like MS and LA allowed it for primitive season deer hunting.
Old October 6, 2023, 10:28 AM   #40
stagpanther

Quote:
Yep. I had a Buck Deer step over my legs...when I was Elk hunting. Had a 7 pt. Bull Elk play ring around the Pine Tree with me...while I was Deer hunting.
LOL
Old October 6, 2023, 10:54 AM   #41
eastbank

whats nice about the 35 whelen and the .260 remington is that if you reload, you can find zillions of 3006 cases to reform to 35 whelen and the same goes for the .260 with zillions of .308 cases to reform to .260.
Old October 6, 2023, 04:30 PM   #42
Paul B.

"It also had a resurgence a few years back in single shot rifles with exposed hammers, as states like MS and LA allowed it for primitive season deer hunting."

That's something that never made any sense to me.Back in the day when single shots ruled, especially for the heavier cartridges the was at least one falling block rifle available that I can think of and there may have been more that just weren't all that common. Think Sharpe's Borchart. Just because the Ruger #1 doesn't have an exposed hammer it's illegal to hunt with one during that "special" season. Frankly, that's total BS. I know if I lived in one of those states I'd be raising some serious unholy hell trying to get that changed.
Paul B.
Old October 6, 2023, 06:17 PM   #43
Hawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B. View Post
"It also had a resurgence a few years back in single shot rifles with exposed hammers, as states like MS and LA allowed it for primitive season deer hunting."

That's something that never made any sense to me.Back in the day when single shots ruled, especially for the heavier cartridges the was at least one falling block rifle available that I can think of and there may have been more that just weren't all that common. Think Sharpe's Borchart. Just because the Ruger #1 doesn't have an exposed hammer it's illegal to hunt with one during that "special" season. Frankly, that's total BS. I know if I lived in one of those states I'd be raising some serious unholy hell trying to get that changed.
Paul B.
Close to 20 years ago. If you think that's bad. All the primitive weapons seasons after Nov. 30th it's your choice on private lands. If a rifle is legal during regular gun season you can use it in primitive weapons season, that includes your AR with 30 round mags.
Old October 6, 2023, 06:34 PM   #44
stagpanther

Quote:
I got one sorta like that--I was bow hunting once out of a portable ground blind (i'll never do that again) which I set up facing a stream with known deer paths. The shooting portal was facing into the wind and there was a berm behind me about the same height as the top of the shelter on the downwind side directly behind me. I thought it was a great spot--and it was--except when I heard the crunch crunch in the leaves it was coming from behind me, all I could see through the narrow view slits was a set of hooves maybe two feet away. I tried moving as slowly as I could to see if I could exit--but he was gone--I think he was contemplating pissing on the shelter maybe.
Old October 6, 2023, 08:23 PM   #45
GeauxTide

Whelen

I looked, hard, at the Whelen. I decided on the 338-06 because of the superior variety of 338 caliber bullets. I had mine throated for 250 Noslers, but I settled on a 200 grain Interlock at 2810 from a 22" barrel. Thundah!
Old October 7, 2023, 12:52 AM   #46
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Just because the Ruger #1 doesn't have an exposed hammer it's illegal to hunt with one during that "special" season. Frankly, that's total BS.
Game rules are exactly that, GAME rules. Sport hunting times, places and allowable equipment are created by State Fish & Game depts for exactly that, a sporting game. What makes sense or doesn't is up to the Game dept, and you can have input. Doesn't mean they'll change anything right away, because its about what they consider best for the game animals, and the majority of hunters not about what makes things easy for you or I.
Old October 7, 2023, 07:54 AM   #47
Hawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
Game rules are exactly that, GAME rules. Sport hunting times, places and allowable equipment are created by State Fish & Game depts for exactly that, a sporting game. What makes sense or doesn't is up to the Game dept, and you can have input. Doesn't mean they'll change anything right away, because its about what they consider best for the game animals, and the majority of hunters not about what makes things easy for you or I.
True and oftentimes the rules don't make sense. The reason MS has loosened up it's primitive weapons rules is we have 1.75 million deer. Most areas in the state are overpopulated. Game laws are much more relaxed than when I was a teenager and we didn't have enough deer. I can remember when you had to have tags and it was only one or maybe two bucks a year and there was only one day a year when you could take a doe. Inlines didn't exist and no scopes were allowed on muzzleloaders. Crossbows were only legal for the disabled. Now we can take three bucks and five does. No tags and no checkpoints. Kill a deer, take it home and butcher it. Nobody is going to know how many deer you kill.
Old October 7, 2023, 09:08 AM   #48
eastbank

i have three 35 whelens, a ruger #1 a remington cdl 700 a custom 98 mauser. two .260,s, a remington 700 sps and a browning 1885 low wall. and i,m not worried at all about feeding them.
Old October 7, 2023, 12:09 PM   #49
old roper

I have 35 Whelen AI build on Rem action with 23" Kreiger barrel @ total 9.4 lbs. If I decide to take it for elk, I'll shoot 225gr AB.
NRA Life Member
Old October 7, 2023, 02:13 PM   #50
Paul B.

"Game rules are exactly that, GAME rules. Sport hunting times, places and allowable equipment are created by State Fish & Game depts for exactly that, a sporting game. What makes sense or doesn't is up to the Game dept, and you can have input. Doesn't mean they'll change anything right away, because its about what they consider best for the game animals, and the majority of hunters not about what makes things easy for you or I."

I can agree with you for the most part but do so when they discriminate against one style of rifle because it do not have an external hammer. A single shot rifle in just that. One shell in the chamber and one has to reach for a source of another round and chamber it to fire another shot. It take just about the same amount of time depending on ones dexterity to reload a Browning B78 or the Ruger Number One. I have both style rifles and I can load them rather quickly and see no noticeable difference in the speed of reloading for another shot. In fact, on a good day I can chamber another round about as fast as the average hunter can using a bolt action should I need to do so. I just fail to see their logic.
Paul B.