The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 19, 2023, 10:08 PM   #1
1972RedNeck

460 S&W Conversion

Really liking my 460 XVR. Would love a repeating rifle in 460 as well, but I don't have $5K+ to drop for a Big Horn Armory Model 90.

Is there a bolt or lever action rifle good for 65K PSI that could easily/affordably be modified by a competent gunsmith to 460 S&W? $2K budget, maybe $2500.
Old September 20, 2023, 08:07 AM   #2
taylorce1

First thing I'd do is find that competent GS. Discuss what you want with them. PM Scorch, I think he could point you in the right direction.

Any modern bolt action that can handle a Remington Short Action Ultra Mag cartridge, can handle 65K PSI. That said, there will be a ton of work that goes into making it feed and function properly with a rimmed cartridge.

However, I think the BHA Model 90 will be your most affordable option.

Action/donor rifle $1000
Blueprint factory action $250-400
Barrel $400-700
Chamber and Install $400
Bolt face work $200-300
Metal finish $250
Build magazine to feed and function .460 S&W $50+ per hour shop rate plus materials.

Last edited by taylorce1; September 20, 2023 at 08:36 AM.
Old September 20, 2023, 08:59 AM   #3
stagpanther

I've done a few rifle to revolver/handgun cartridge matches; once I had them I was left in a blissful state of "so what"--they are not likely going to share the same handloads anyway for optimal performance. I totally get wanting to do a repeater in 460 S&W--well, not really --but if that was a burning desire to have something like it I would try the 45 raptor which already has been developed for A-10's and has a rebated rim. My less than 2 cents.
Old September 22, 2023, 08:06 AM   #4
ernie8

When I developed the 45 Bandit [ 460 S&W ] about 25 years ago it was first made for a bolt rifle . I built a few for friends . It was rimless . When S&W came out with the 500 S&W handgun I asked them to make a 45 Bandit version with moon clips as the 500 frame was perfect for it . They said there was no way they would use moon clips [ even though they did later on the 350 Legend version , another of my cartridges ] , so they added a little rim to my cartridge . I had been making my cases , but when they made their case I had a source as all I did was cut the small rim off of their case. It cost me about $200 a rifle back then using old Mauser actions. I even built one as a 3/4 scale K98k with a 3/4 bayonet . That is why I wanted the rimless version , great in any bolt rifle and add a moon clip for a matching revolver .