The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 4, 2023, 08:13 PM   #26
MTT TL

If you want a new rifle, single shot bolt action, there is the Crickett, $169.

https://www.academy.com/p/crickett-s...ifle-114195580
Old October 4, 2023, 10:58 PM   #27
Aguila Blanca
Staff

The Cricket is about the least expensive new .22 rifle I know of. But it's a kid's rifle, with a length of pull of 12 inches or less, and the butt stock looks about as nice as the one on a Daisy Red Ryder carbine.

For a few bucks more you can get an Armscor M14Y Youth Rifle, with a hardwood stock and a 10-round magazine. MSRP is $149, so the street price should be around $125 or so.

https://www.armscor.com/firearms-lis...ifle-22lr-10rd

Armscor also has an adult version, the model YTA. It has a polymer stock that comes with two spacers at the butt, so you can adjust the length of pull for adults or children. I've been tempted, but I find the polymer stock to be monumentally ugly, and I'm too old to waste time on guns I know I'll hate to look at.

https://www.armscor.com/firearms-list/14y
Jeepaholic
Old October 5, 2023, 01:01 AM   #28
FrankenMauser

Those ArmsCor magazines are a (updated but worsened) design that dates back to the 1960s. Very much not recommended.
Relegates the entire rifle to the trash pile.

The nasty die-cast Cooey (Savage 64) magazines are arguably better. And they are absolutely terrible. So...
Old October 5, 2023, 02:23 PM   #29
hammie

The mini single shots, were mentioned earlier, but I don't think that is what the original poster wants. There are the savage rascal, the keystone chipmunk and cricket, and the henry mini bolt. Of that group, the henry is of way better quality, but it is of way higher price. Boyd's does offer a target/bench rest stock for the savage rascal. I've often thought it would be fun to get a heavy barreled rascal, re-stock it, scope it, and see what it could do. However, it seems that I always have too many other, higher priority gun projects waiting in the wings.

Last edited by hammie; October 6, 2023 at 08:48 AM.
Old October 7, 2023, 06:52 PM   #30
fisherman66

I’d try to find a Steven’s Favorite in decent shape, but I’m a bit of a falling block nut.
Old October 7, 2023, 08:31 PM   #31
Pumpkin

You should be able to find a nice lightly used Glenfield or Mossberg bolt action for a decent price. Normally, I would have included Marlin or Remington but I think recent firearms developments have probably raised the price of these much higher than the first two I mentioned.
Old October 11, 2023, 02:20 AM   #32
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenMauser View Post
Those ArmsCor magazines are a (updated but worsened) design that dates back to the 1960s. Very much not recommended.
Relegates the entire rifle to the trash pile.

The nasty die-cast Cooey (Savage 64) magazines are arguably better. And they are absolutely terrible. So...
I like Arsmcor/Rock Island pistols, but their long guns have never interested me.
Old October 11, 2023, 12:40 PM   #33
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
For inexpensive 22, a semi auto is probably a better deal overall than a bolt action. A locked action (bolt) is not necessary for .22 rimfire, and it costs more to make.
A .22 semi auto is better than a bolt action, if you want a semi auto, and, if it works. And, when talking about "budget grade .22s" bolt guns are cheaper to make than semi autos. Often considerably. They are simpler, with fewer parts, and often even cheap .22 bolt guns will have better triggers than semis, and if not, are easier to improve, if you desire to do so.

OP, other than personal preference, why does it have to be new??

There are millions upon millions of used .22s in serviceable condition all over the country, generally priced less than the cheapest new production anything.

The OP said he wanted something cheap, to shoot the ammo his 10/22 didn't like. He didn't specific a repeater, or action type.

This makes me think of the rifle I learned to shoot with, my Mother's rifle, a JC Higgins single shot bolt action, which I learned to shoot as a boy of 10 (when I was strong enough to cock it on my own ). Accurate enough to center punch poker chips to 50yds and make head shots on small game back when high grade .22LR was $0.39 a box.
Old October 11, 2023, 05:47 PM   #34
stagpanther

At its price point--hard to beat a CZ 457 IMO--I'd look for one of those used (if anyone is willing to part with their's).
Old October 13, 2023, 01:08 AM   #35
rc

Look at gun broker. Look for a Savage 29B pump, Winchester 69A bolt action or a used Marlin 880 bolt actions. They will shoot ammo that won't cycle a 10/22. Winchester 190s are cheap old tube fed semi autos from the 60s and will feed shorts so even lousy 22 LR will cycle through them. I would stay away from the foreign made pot metal junk at the bottom of the barrel today. The Ruger American Rimfire bolt actions will use the same 10/22 magazines you have and might be something to look at new to shoot crap ammo. Spend a bit more and be happy with your purchase.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1011974935

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1012745744

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1013243821

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1012765455
Old October 15, 2023, 06:46 PM   #36
FrankenMauser

Winchester 190s that are for sale are worn out or broken, and will be less reliable than Armscor M20s and M16s.
I recommend avoiding them.
People don't sell 190s that work.

Winchester 69s require paying a Winchester tax. They're not worth it.

(On Gunbroker) Marlin 880s run about $240 at the bottom end now. (+shipping, tax, fees, transfer, etc.)
A good one will close at $300+, if not $400. (+shipping, tax, fees, transfer, etc.)
I have a Gunbroker search that emails me for every Marlin 880 that gets listed (even if listed improperly). That market is broken and prices are increasing. I see every one listed and watch every sale; and try to follow them in other auctions, as well. Marlin 880s are not worth the price at most auctions, especially most of them on Gunbroker.

Marlin XT-22s, however, seem to have a lower barrier to entry when listed poorly (great deals if listed without photos). Better deals to be found if you're patient. And they're newer than the 880, with (generally, depending on year) better triggers.
Older Marlin models, like the 780, that used the M25 (curved) magazine can often be found for less than the modern models. And there are dozens of variants. Lots of good deals there, especially when they fall into "listed poorly or in the wrong category."

But, keep in mind for any of the models that use "modern" Marlin magazines (the "795 magazine"), that no one is making them any more. What is on the market is all we get until (and if) there is enough demand for an aftermarket company to make more.
Old October 17, 2023, 12:10 AM   #37
rc

Prices of marlin magazines have come down a bit in recent months. But they did double in the last 4 years. Winchester magazines are expensive to get originals and aftermarket magazines don't feed as well. The Savage 29B is not a highly sought after model but it's a very high quality pump.
Old October 23, 2023, 02:45 AM   #38
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
OP, other than personal preference, why does it have to be new??

There are millions upon millions of used .22s in serviceable condition all over the country, generally priced less than the cheapest new production anything.

The OP said he wanted something cheap, to shoot the ammo his 10/22 didn't like. He didn't specific a repeater, or action type.
I prefer new because nothing used around me is going to be less than what I could get new and while I could spend a few weekends driving to LGS up to an hour away to browse, I'd be wasting time and money doing that looking for a deal that likely won't be there.

So, instead of wasting that time and money, it's easier for me to buy something new online and transfer it.

I didn't specify an action because I'm open to them all, but I'm leaning towards a pump because I've never had a pump rifle before. Actually, I've never owned a pump action anything before.
Old October 24, 2023, 11:33 PM   #39
rc

The only pumps currently made are by Henry and Rossi with exposed hammers. Take a look at this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXrBJAcfA-0

You can probably find a an older Taurus or Rossi 62 if you look hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8uZI29wkZc
Old October 25, 2023, 07:19 AM   #40
Pumpkin

Well, you have two maybe four choices;
1) New, imported, inexpensive.
2) Used, not necessarily imported, possibly close in price to # 1.
3) Same as # 2 except higher quality and higher prices.
If you are set on # 1, go on GB and buy the cheapest one available that catches your fancy.
You could come back and get peoples opinions on it once you make a decision.
4) You could also give your cheap ammo to a good mate and buy some quality ammunition for your Ruger with the money you would have spent on another cheap gun.

Last edited by Pumpkin; October 25, 2023 at 07:25 AM.
Old November 8, 2023, 05:52 PM   #41
MSD Mike

I know you asked about new but used seems like the way to go. Several years ago I a picked up a Springfield branded single shot from the 1940’s for under $50. It’s can busting accurate with any ammo. It had the added bonus of giving me something cheap to practice refinishing a stock on. Came out nice.

Mike
Old November 24, 2023, 05:53 PM   #42
Picher

That's what I was thinking of writing!
Old November 25, 2023, 09:20 AM   #43
Picher

When I was a teenager, I pretty-much wore out a Rem 513(?) single-shot that was my brother's. I'd buy 10 boxes at a time of cheap .22 Shorts on-sale at Sears and they eroded the chamber ahead of the case-mouth, so Long-Rifle shells wouldn't eject after a while. I finally got a new Rem pump with a tubular magazine and shot the heck out of that too.
Old December 2, 2023, 08:06 AM   #44
Picher

Even the cheapest .22 rimfires will shoot, but many won't extract/eject well.
Old December 2, 2023, 04:16 PM   #45
stinkeypete

Overall cheapest: the Marlin Model 60 followed by the Ruger 10/22. Shoot for years, enjoy, sell for more than you paid for it.
Old December 10, 2023, 09:10 PM   #46
snoeproe

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkeypete View Post
Overall cheapest: the Marlin Model 60 followed by the Ruger 10/22. Shoot for years, enjoy, sell for more than you paid for it.

Marlin model 60 has been out of production for some time now.
If I walked into my local dealer today, the cheapest 22 would be a savage rascal or a keystone cricket.
Old December 25, 2023, 07:20 AM   #47
Picher

The problem is soft barrel steel that causes chambers to be belled if too many Shorts are fired in it. Then, the longer shells won't extract. Been there!