The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 18, 2023, 06:33 PM   #151
Aguila Blanca
Staff

So then what's a "1.5 stack"? IIRC, the Hi-Power magazine doesn't double up as steeply as Glocks and double-stack 1911s I've seen.
Jeepaholic
Old October 19, 2023, 12:20 AM   #152
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
So then what's a "1.5 stack"?
Who says there is such a thing?? 1 and a half stack sounds like something off an IHOP menu, not a magazine.

Any way you stack ammo, in a magazine, its either single stack or double stack, the only system I know of that might be argued to be more than that is the Calico magazine. Those are basically a series of rotary spool mags rows feeding through each other, quite different from conventional box magazines.
Old October 19, 2023, 06:02 AM   #153
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP
Quote:
So then what's a "1.5 stack"?
Who says there is such a thing?? 1 and a half stack sounds like something off an IHOP menu, not a magazine.
MarkCO, in post #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCO
I'm also still waiting for the 1.5 stack large frame 9mms to come out.
Jeepaholic
Old October 19, 2023, 08:38 AM   #154
MarkCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post

Any way you stack ammo, in a magazine, its either single stack or double stack,
Nope, but ignorance is bliss.

The SIG 365 Magazine has a portion that is single stack (top) and a portion that is double stack (bottom). It is a term that firearms design engineers have been using for quite some time.

There are a few magazine designs that are neither single stack, nor double stack, nor 1.5 stacks. Each cartridge only touches the one above it, but in a staggered manner allowing a thinner column and added capacity over a single stack.
Old October 19, 2023, 10:21 AM   #155
ballardw

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
Any way you stack ammo, in a magazine, its either single stack or double stack, the only system I know of that might be argued to be more than that is the Calico magazine.
Kel-tec CP33 is very clearly a "quadruple stack". There is a divider post in the middle of the magazine that creates a left/right area that "double-stacks" on each side.

My thought, just being warped, is any magazine that does not feed from both sides of a "double-stack" such as most pistol mags is not a "true" double because of the funnel that reduces to a single feed position.
Old October 19, 2023, 10:34 AM   #156
Jim Watson

Quote:
Each cartridge only touches the one above it, but in a staggered manner allowing a thinner column and added capacity over a single stack.
I think that came in with the Savage pistols of 1907-1915; as best I can tell from pictures.

Quote:
My thought, just being warped, is any magazine that does not feed from both sides of a "double-stack" such as most pistol mags is not a "true" double because of the funnel that reduces to a single feed position.
Not many pistols have double feed. The Mauser "Broomhandle" series and the Steyr P18 come to mind. Most pistols these days are offshoots of the BHP with center feed.
What possessed the Germans and British to use center feed submachine gun magazines escapes me; it was the weak point of MP40 and Sten.
Old October 19, 2023, 11:10 AM   #157
MarkCO

Quote:
Kel-tec CP33 is very clearly a "quadruple stack".
Yep. And the Surefire 60 and 100 rounds column magazines from around 2008 (or so).

Quote:
I think that came in with the Savage pistols of 1907-1915; as best I can tell from pictures.
That is the first I am aware of. There are other staggered stacks around. Center-feed, double stack is what the vast majority of pistols that don't use single stacks, use. Two stacks, alternating their turn to the feed-lips, one almost always has one more round, as fully loaded, than the other.
Old October 19, 2023, 12:07 PM   #158
ballardw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
Not many pistols have double feed. The Mauser "Broomhandle" series and the Steyr P18 come to mind. Most pistols these days are offshoots of the BHP with center feed.
Grendel P30 / Kel-tec PMR30 only one comes to mind other than the modified rifle based pistol designs like AR and M1 carbine.
Old October 19, 2023, 12:18 PM   #159
Jim Watson

I was playing with a magazine tube to see if 9mm would "semi-stagger" in a .45 body and gain a round of capacity. Probably not. It might work with cylindrical .38 Super Comp.
Old October 20, 2023, 10:37 AM   #160
Dashunde

So what did the OP buy? Anything yet?
I have a few Dan Wessons in 45 and 10mm, I dont have a single 9mm at the moment but if I were to buy one it'd either be a DW with target sights or one of the high end CZ options as they're designed around the 9mm.
Old October 21, 2023, 10:05 PM   #161
wild cat mccane

OP ended up with a Sig p210 Target

Old October 30, 2023, 04:23 PM   #162
oldbear1950

TISAS 1911

Purchased both the 9 mm and 45 Tisas carry full sized 1911 and am really happy with the results.
The only difference in the two is the 9mm has a ramped barrel and the 45 has a standard barrel.
I am not sure why but that is the way they came. I traded out the 45 tisas barrel for an ED BROWN MATCH BARREL AND BUSHING AND AM VERY HAPPY WITH THE RESULTS.
For me the 9 mm shoots ok, but have only put about 100 rounds thru it.
For me if I can put all my shots into the center mass of a human shaped target, I am happy and that was at 25 yards. Is fine for self defense.
I do not really do target shooting, other than to make sure it works,.
Old October 31, 2023, 06:05 PM   #163
khegglie

Winner bell ringing for Mr. OP.
Old November 2, 2023, 10:30 PM   #164
YankeeIronSights

The Dan Wesson Guardian in 9mm is the best and most reliable 1911 in that caliber that I have owned and/or shot. The reason that this model is relevant and appropriate for me, in comparison with other 9mm pistols, is that I live in a restricted state that only allows 10 round magazines. This pistol is lighter and easier to conceal than full steel 1911s. It is also very accurate. Try to buy a used one at a reduced price. You can also buy one with the blemish mark for a reduced price. If I ever move to a free state, I will definitely transition to other modern pistols with high capacity magazines, but will always keep this pistol in my collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk