The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 5, 2023, 01:48 PM   #1
Polinese

Winchester rifles and magnum calibers

What was the time frame for when 357 magnum and later 44 magnum started to be chambered in Winchester, and also Marlin rifles? I know colt was quick to chamber the 357, did the lever companies follow suit?
Old October 7, 2023, 11:47 PM   #2
bamaranger

winchester

I did a quick search for Winchester and came up with the following internet based from the Win Collectors Assoc...... take this for what it's worth.

-.44 mag was introduced in 1968 and discontinued in 1970, to be reintroduced in about 1982, which might coincide with angle eject era beginning....dunno

-.357 mag came later in the early '90's.

Gunsmith's were converting M92's to mag pistol calibers prior that and references to same can be found in various sources, the RCBS reloading manuals for one.

My Dad had one of the early 1968-1970 M94's, but traded same before I knew about his plans.

I'll check on Marlin later.
Old October 8, 2023, 03:07 AM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

Not sure when they started, but Numrich ran ads for Win 92 barrels. .44 Mag or .357 in all the gun magazines from the mid 60 on, and I think it was a pretty popular thing to convert them, as Win 92s in their original calibers are pretty scarce these days.