The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 5, 2023, 12:22 AM   #1
stagpanther

Forbes 280 rem

Being a Mainer I run into some unique Maine-made firearms, (Windham for example) and yesterday I had my first encounter with a Forbes (which has been sold to Wilson Combat and is now called NULA) that a friend of mine has in 280 rem. I've shot a few of the "new wave" ultralight rifles by other manufacturers--but this one really got my attention--it weighs less than even most of the high-end carbon-fiber designs I've tried, feels lighter even then a couple of my bigger handguns. Didn't have a scale out at the range but it felt like between 4 to 5 lbs even topped with a Leupold VX3i. The barrel seems to be "form-fitted" to the stock channel--absolutely no space between it and the stock channel. The trigger, which took me a few dry-fires to get a feel for it and has absolutely no uptake, has a wall it breaks at which felt to me a bit over 3 lbs pull and features a wide trigger shoe, a nod to winter hunting in Maine would be my guess. My friend was getting ready for a hunt--so he was doing his thing tuning up on a Caldwell lead sled but at the end offered me a few shots of what he left in his box of old corelocks--dented points and obviously corroded brass. I wanted to tell my friend I didn't see the logic in buying a 3K+ rifle and shooting crappy ammo in it--but didn't since I really wanted to shoot it. I switched to my bag rests and the first two shots at 100 yds were a quarter inch apart right on the bullseye, the last cartridge he gave me which was obviously a different lot run went way wide to the left. The most outstanding feature I noticed was a surprising light felt recoil and although I held the forend it felt to me like the rifle was not wanting to drastically muzzle-lift and do backflips; something I have noticed with a couple of other high-end ultralight rifles.

Wow!

Last edited by stagpanther; October 5, 2023 at 12:27 AM.