The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old August 31, 2023, 03:03 AM   #1
TJB101

New Henry 357

Wife bought a new Henry 357 carbine the other weekend. Waited about 8 months to get it in. Didn’t want to reject it and wait another 8 months for a replacement. I thought the workmanship on the finishing of this rifle was dismal. Definitely a Friday job. (Maybe even after a 3 beer lunch Friday).

Henry wasn’t that pleased and kudos to them for replacing both pieces of stock under warranty.

Old August 31, 2023, 10:43 AM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

Without better descriptions and "before and after" pictures, it is essentially impossible to tell what you are talking about.

Which means we're in the dark about what to discuss. Your wait time? Dismal workmanship?? Is the picture the dismal workmanship, or the acceptable replacement???
Old September 1, 2023, 11:38 AM   #3
TJB101

My bad. The image attached was what I felt was pretty bad finishing work for a $900 rifle. That’s the before.
Old September 1, 2023, 02:15 PM   #4
stagpanther

I don't think anyone does actual hand-carved checkering these days--at least not on a budget rifle.
Old September 1, 2023, 07:55 PM   #5
Recycled bullet

Does the rifle shoot well, is it smooth? I can squint my eyes and it makes the stock less ugly does that help?
Old September 2, 2023, 02:35 PM   #6
Nick_C_S

Are we talking about those little discolorations?

I doubt that would be enough to prompt me to even consider returning it for repair.

I have a Henry in .357. Not sure I've ever looked at it that close.

But I know one thing: It sure shoots nice, and whenever I take it to the range, I come home happy.
Old September 3, 2023, 03:14 PM   #7
Hammerhead

Those light spots might disappear with a little tung oil.
Old September 3, 2023, 04:55 PM   #8
stagpanther

I think he's referring to the roughness of the checkering, looks like it might have some rough flash left on it and unevenness in the peaks and valleys. These days probably most checkering is imprinted by a CNC machine would be my guess.
Old September 6, 2023, 03:28 AM   #9
TJB101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
Those light spots might disappear with a little tung oil.

Gonna give that a try. Thanks for the idea.
Old September 6, 2023, 03:31 AM   #10
TJB101

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
I think he's referring to the roughness of the checkering, looks like it might have some rough flash left on it and unevenness in the peaks and valleys. These days probably most checkering is imprinted by a CNC machine would be my guess.

Roughness and the bad stain job. This is my 5th Henry and the 4th with a wood stock. Didn’t think it was Henry quality. They agreed.
Old September 6, 2023, 05:14 AM   #11
Hawg

I don't think I've ever been that picky about anything. I'd likely never have noticed it.
Old September 6, 2023, 05:51 AM   #12
jetinteriorguy

I was thinking along these lines too, either Tung Oil or boiled Linseed oil. I was both lucky and stupid with both of my Henry’s. They had beautiful finishes, then while at the range I had them laying on a pad next to me on the table, and was shooting one of my 9mm’s. I didn’t notice how the ejected shell cases were hitting the stocks until it was too late and had dinged them up. Unfortunately that’s not covered under warranty. Duh.