The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old August 18, 2023, 11:06 AM   #1
Winchester Mike

New guy on the block

Howdy gents.
New here with some questions I hope y'all can give answers to.
At the end of last year, I bought a Uberti Win 73 Deluxe Sporter with a 18" barrel. Didn't like the barrel so I had it fitted with a half octagon/round 24" one.
Went to the range for the first time with it and using Remington Factory ammo cominced to punching holes in paper.
The Issue I had was occasionally one of the rounds would hang up when trying to run the bolt home. When cleaning, I disassembled the action and noted that the barrel face had not been notched like the upper that was for the extractor pawl to fit into. There was a sharp edge that my rounds were catching on I surmise.
My question is thus. Is there suppose to be a lower notch also, and the facing of the barrel at the bottom, is there suppose to be a sharp edge?
I thought perhaps it needed to be beveled like the feed ramp on my 1911.
My other question is actually not a question but a comment. When buying gun powder, pay attention to the brands and series .......I thought I was buying Allant RL7, but got Accurate #7......they ain't the same.
Old August 18, 2023, 06:00 PM   #2
bobn

first> if you loaded any ammo with accurate number 7 using re7 data DO NOT shoot them.
Old August 18, 2023, 06:01 PM   #3
bobn

tomorrow is a day off and i will review my uberti 73 action to see how the factory handled that area and report back to you. bobn
Old August 18, 2023, 07:28 PM   #4
gwpercle

I can't help you with your rifle questions but can say ...
Welcome from Baton Rouge , Louisiana .

There are many powders with similar sounding names so you have to very diligent when buying and reloading . The correct charge of the wrong powder can be devestating .
I started reloading in 1967 so might be able to answer some of those questions

Load Safe ,
Gary
Old August 25, 2023, 06:35 PM   #5
Winchester Mike

Well, It's a little late on the warnings.........one round of AA #7 loaded like RL7, resulted in case seperation and breech block bending at the toggle hole.....today I just installed a new breech block but after 5 days of trying everything on the sun can not remove the ruptured case........called my gunsmith whom I'm waiting on a reply........Am ordering Alliant RL 7 after he checks my weapon out and ok's it......after feeling so damn stupid for the past two weeks.......I found then didn't save a site that gave receipies for #7 for the 44 WCF......10-11 g....... by volume I presume....not sure I want to use it. Maybe on my .45 acp......or just sell it to some one. I have just under 2 lbs.