The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old June 29, 2013, 09:07 PM   #126
ThesNazud

This may be the wrong spot, but since it bears on Illinois Conceal Carry, I posted it here. Now, the man in the following article was charges with possession of cannabis and two counts if UUW. However my question is, with the whole hullabaloo our legislature is putting our state through, could be potentially get the UUW charges thrown out?

http://www.suntimes.com/m/21042779-7...as-robbed.html
Old June 30, 2013, 12:17 PM   #127
maestro pistolero

Not a chance. He had a stolen gun in his pocket. Read the article. He's screwed.
Old June 30, 2013, 01:24 PM   #128
m&p45acp10+1

The stolen gun alone is enough to keep in some real hot water.
Old July 1, 2013, 04:42 AM   #129
press1280

I don't think he can be charged with the UUW successfully. However it would seem they have more than enough to put him away(possession w/o FOID, stolen gun, maybe resisting arrest).
Old July 2, 2013, 12:40 PM   #130
SamNavy

Quinn has put in his 2 cents... I guess he couldn't just say nothing and risk whatever appearance that would generate.

The 10rd limit is a standard "magic number for safety" that anti's pull out their butt. Maybe he's just looking to get one or two of his amendments approve to save face... so now the legislature will "ACCEPT" the elimination of restaurant carry but override the round-limit and it will go through? And he removes the pre-emption for home-rule on semi-auto's... no surprise there.

Quote:
Quinn pointed out the bill would allow people to carry more than one gun with unlimited numbers of ammunition rounds, which he called a "public safety hazard." He rewrote it to limit gun owners to carrying one loaded, concealed gun with an ammunition clip holding no more than 10 rounds.
Quote:
The language Quinn added would prevent gun owners from taking their weapons into any establishment that serves alcohol, including restaurants whose liquor sales amount to less than half of their gross sales. That's a provision gun owners would not bend on in legislative negotiations.
Quote:
The governor also removed a provision that requires communities wanting to ban semi-automatic assault-style weapons to do so within 10 days after the legislation takes effect, saying communities should maintain local control over guns not covered by the concealed carry law.
http://www.nwitimes.com/news/state-a...3aa6a0d2e.html

Correct me if I'm wrong... but now it goes back to the legislature and they can either override his veto, or accept his ammendments? What happens next?

Last edited by SamNavy; July 2, 2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old July 2, 2013, 01:00 PM   #131
Tom Servo
Staff

Ah, the glory of the the amendatory veto.

Honestly, the deadline comes in a week. I'd say scrap the bill and let the deadline pass. That puts more pressure on the other side and leaves the ball in our court.

That said, I'm not in Illinois, so it's easy for me to say...
Old July 2, 2013, 01:49 PM   #132
motorhead0922

Quote:
That said, I'm not in Illinois, so it's easy for me to say...
Me too. That said, there's no way I'd agree to Quinn's amendments. The restaurant restriction, the preemption of home rule, and the mag limit would be non-starters for me.

Override them all.
2020: It's pronounced twenty twenty.
Old July 2, 2013, 01:55 PM   #133
Jen-from-IL

Concealed Carry Illinois

I believe the General Assembly will override Quinn's veto and pass the bill they originally sent to his desk in May. The requirement of no guns in any establishment that serves alcohol is ridiculous. I guess we can't have anyone driving a motor vehicle allowed in an establishment that serves alcohol either, as motor vehicles and alcohol don't mix either. Also, has Quinn looked at who is killing who in Chicago? How many of those guns are owned by people with valid FOID cards? Guessing ZERO! It's all a game to him and we are tired of it. Pass the damn bill, regardless of its flaws.
Old July 2, 2013, 04:36 PM   #134
ThesNazud

Some of those I can live with, but the whole "One magazine with 10 rounds or less" is just asinine. I mean, I've never been a fan of magazine restrictions in the first place, but really... You should(IMHO) be allowed to carry as many mags(holding the standard designed amount of rounds for the firearm) as you can comfortably and prudently carry. Now that doesn't mean I think hauling a backpack or such with as many mags as it can hold is ok, but I'm not going to tell someone they can't. Personally, I'm looking to get a Paraordinance 14-45(as long as these silly round restrictions don't pass) and carry 2-4 extra mags. I'm a fairly large framed guy and when I worked at a gun store found I can easily conceal one of the Para's with little to no printing on the back of my hip or in a shoulder holster.

The big item that I have an issue with is this...

Quote:
Recommends that when a concealed carry licensee uses the parking lot exemption for a location where the concealed carry of a handgun is prohibited under the Firearm Concealed Carry Act, the handgun must remain within the vehicle at all times while in the prohibited location parking lot, rather than the licensee being allowed to take the handgun outside of the vehicle to place it in the vehicle’s trunk and to retrieve it from the trunk.
I mean really? The trunk is usually a very secure location. This is probably one of the dumbest parts of his amendatory veto... Ooooo don't look, scary guy with a gu... Oh wait, he's safely and responsibly storing it in a semi-secure location...
Old July 2, 2013, 05:21 PM   #135
rts99

2nd Militia Act of '92

Unfortunately the state quickly dispels with the statutes they hid behind in their amicus briefs during Heller & McDonald. Even in Shepard & Moore. They paraded around the 2nd Militia Act of '92 as living proof that ONLY soldiers can carry guns. What BS.

As we all know from READING the 2nd Militia Act that it imposes strict MINIMUMS on anyone carrying a gun. The requirement is a minimum of 2 PISTOLS and a minimum of 24 Cartridges for EACH PISTOL. That's 2 guns & 48 rounds MINIMUM.

How little we like our own laws as soon as Collectivism is struck down.

In your face Paddy Boy.

Last edited by rts99; July 2, 2013 at 05:31 PM.
Old July 2, 2013, 05:22 PM   #136
maestro pistolero

Quote:
I'd say scrap the bill and let the deadline pass
The legislature must act in some way, must it not? If they do nothing, isn't Quinn's version of the bill left standing?

On the other hand, I read somewhere that they need 51 votes to pass the amended version and 60 votes to override it. Perhaps doing nothing is an option. Anyone know?
Old July 2, 2013, 06:31 PM   #137
Luger_carbine

Quote:
The legislature must act in some way, must it not? If they do nothing, isn't Quinn's version of the bill left standing?
The sponsor of the bill controls the fate of the bill somewhat. In this case Representative Phelps has called for an over-ride vote. So it must be voted on now.

The sponsor also has the power to pull the bill, so if the legislature does not over-ride the veto, the sponsor can pull the vetoed bill and Illinois is back to not having any law to replace IL UUW.

I believe the stay of mandate expires on July 9th, but the IL AG can file for cert anytime up to midnight July 22.
Old July 9, 2013, 02:55 PM   #138
dsa1115

Illinois General Assembly Overrides CCW Veto

Both the House and Senate override Governor Quinn's veto. CCW passes in Illinois. There is now CCW in all 50 states and Illinois is shall issue.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,4356935.story
Old July 9, 2013, 03:01 PM   #139
maestro pistolero

Congratulations to our brothers and sisters in Illinois.

Last edited by maestro pistolero; July 9, 2013 at 03:46 PM.
Old July 9, 2013, 09:20 PM   #140
hermannr

Something I have not heard yet. The 7th through out the laws prohibiting the carry of a firearm, correct? No mention of the ability to openly carry without a license (one of the things I understood would happen if they did not pass a law.)

So, is there anything in this new law the specifically prohibits Open Carry? or does this new law require a license for any carry outside your home or business?
Old July 10, 2013, 09:16 AM   #141
Herr Walther

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/publ...F/098-0063.pdf

This will likely be published under ILCS 720-24-XX

All the information for applicant requirements, training requirements and exemptions, places of carry and prohibited areas, board selection, instructor standards, etc., can be found here.

Training requirements are section 75.

Fortunately I'm exempt and the State will allow me to keep more money in my pocket.
"...a historian asked what had happened to the German people for them to accept a criminal government. Unfortunately, nothing needed to happen. In nations across the world people accept government crime."
-------------------------------------
"In democracies as well as dictatorships, subordinates illegally obey their rulers. Subordinates who remain true to their oaths of office by opposing their rulers are rare."
Old July 10, 2013, 09:40 AM   #142
Glenn E. Meyer

Need to let the law work for a bit and then work gently to remove some of the place restrictions.

Good job that it happened!
Old July 10, 2013, 11:14 AM   #143
Rodger_p

Most Excellent!!

I lived in Ohio when they passed their concealed carry law. There were some odd requirements that were worked out over time. As Glenn stated, "Let the law work for a bit".
Old July 10, 2013, 11:16 AM   #144
godot

So how/where do I apply for a CCW?
Old July 10, 2013, 11:46 AM   #145
Jen-from-IL

Concealed Carry Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by godot View Post
So how/where do I apply for a CCW?
Unfortunately, you can't yet. ISP has 180 days to come up with everything in order to submit the permit application. First though, they need to figure out all the necessary classes and who can teach them. You're looking at 1st quarter 2014 before the first permit application will be able to be submitted.
Old July 10, 2013, 12:17 PM   #146
Lt. Skrumpledonk Ret

DTI

How can I have the right to remain silent AND a duty to inform the cops that I am carrying a weapon?
I know the police will blur the line between what is a off-the-cuff consentual conversation, and what is a detention. This will work against citizens carrying guns.
Someone explain 'duty to inform', please. Can a cop come up to me and demand to see my weapons permit if he sees me printing (or OC'ing) or do they need to detain me first?
Old July 10, 2013, 12:27 PM   #147
motorhead0922

DTI

Why do you ask? There won't be a duty to inform in Illinois.
2020: It's pronounced twenty twenty.
Old July 10, 2013, 12:35 PM   #148
godot

"Unfortunately, you can't yet. ISP has 180 days to come up with everything in order to submit the permit application. First though, they need to figure out all the necessary classes and who can teach them. You're looking at 1st quarter 2014 before the first permit application will be able to be submitted."

Jen, that was NOT the answer I was looking for. I was hoping for something like "Anyplace that sells State lottery tickets". LOL Thank you for the clarity.
Old July 10, 2013, 01:58 PM   #149
Buffalo444

Re: Concealed Carry Illinois

Is IL going to have any reciprocity?
Old July 10, 2013, 03:54 PM   #150
csmsss

Quote:
Is IL going to have any reciprocity?
Excellent question! I don't think that was addressed in the legislation, so for the time being no reciprocity - think along the lines of MD, NY, NJ.