The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old April 6, 2010, 07:52 PM   #126
armoredman

Many people were asking about mandatory education/training, so here's the bill that is going to final vote tomorrow in the House on that issue, then off to the governor. This is the one I'd like to see be made as mandatory as drivers' ed in school, might address those concerns.
http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument....ls/sb1172s.htm
Old April 6, 2010, 08:59 PM   #127
publius42

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLT
I looked on the NRA-ILA website and could find nothing indicating their efforts to support the bill, only reporting what was happening...
Yeah, I poked around too, and found quite a bit more support last time around, when the bill got all the way to Napolitano before being vetoed. This time, not so much, but the reporting was in no way negative. Maybe a full bashing isn't in order, but something...

Old April 6, 2010, 11:10 PM   #128
NavyLT

armoredman,

That is a great bill! I too wish it would pass. I don't think it as a snowball's chance in heck, though, unfortunately. What a great class that would be. I know if I was a student and took that class, it might take, oh, I don't know, maybe 8 or 10 tries on the gun range to pass . I think my expert pistol and rifle medals might give away my motives, though.
Old April 7, 2010, 07:54 AM   #129
tet4

I think it could pass given the right circumstances - who would have thought that constitutional carry would ever come about five years ago? I think this country is slowly starting to move back to it's founding principles, finally. It's nice to see at least some progress!
Old April 7, 2010, 10:01 AM   #130
armoredman

Actually, NavyLT, the firearms education bill has a very good chance of passing. It passed the Senate 30-0 before being sent to the House. Today's is the final vote, passed all others including the Committee of the Whole, which is sort of a test vote by the chamber before they commit themselves. I predict it will be on Governor Brewers desk by tonight.
I hope it will become mandatory in schools sometime in the next 4-5 years.

Still not seeing Constitutional Carry listed on the floor calender, e-mail sent to the Speaker of the House.

Last edited by armoredman; April 7, 2010 at 10:06 AM.
Old April 7, 2010, 04:47 PM   #131
NavyLT

Well, I would be extremely happy to be wrong in this case!

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=5697

Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Senate Bill 1108/House Bill 2347 will be voted on tomorrow, April 8. Please continue contacting your State Representatives and urge them to support SB 1108 and HB 2347. Contact information can be found here.

Currently, under Arizona law it is generally legal to carry a firearm openly as long as you are 18 years of age and not prohibited from possessing a firearm. However, if the firearm becomes covered, say with a coat, or if you are a woman and prefer to carry your firearm in your purse, you need to possess a concealed carry permit. The intent of this legislation is to give people the greatest possible freedom to choose the best method of carry for them. SB 1108 would generally allow law-abiding persons to carry a firearm for self-defense without a permit.

Arizona’s constitution, Article 2, Section 26 clearly states that “The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself or the state shall not be impaired…” The intention of this language could not be clearer.

Last edited by NavyLT; April 7, 2010 at 05:10 PM.
Old April 7, 2010, 08:33 PM   #132
qcpunk

Geeterman, Please dont forget the details.... The bill regarding Guns and Ammo taxes and registration applies PNLY to firearms and ammo COMPLETELY manufactured in Arizona. YAYYY!!!!!!
"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it or their revolutionary right to dismember it or overthrow it." --Abraham Lincoln
Old April 7, 2010, 09:36 PM   #133
armoredman

Yes. SB1008 is on the Floor Calender for tomorrow, e-mails sent phone calls in the AM as I head out to the range...
Old April 7, 2010, 11:55 PM   #134
BlindMansBluff

Even if it passed...

I am still scheduled to meet with the owner of a local range to setup my ccw course in order for me to receive the education of the course if anything at all.

It sucks though because although i have been fighting to get in on a ccw course i am second guessing myself and i don't know why i doubt my self after finally being able to get in on a course.

Also, i want the ccw so i can instantly take the fire arm home rather than wait on a delay every time. The only time i wasn't delayed was when i bought the ruger p95 9mm from shooter's world.

So anyways those are my thoughts. I'll be praying for the az cc bill to pass, i wish i knew how to contact my reps though and let my voice be heard.

I just started a blog about my experiences being a blind gun owner and a target shooter, check it out at http://theblindmansbluff.blogspot.com
Old April 8, 2010, 12:55 AM   #135
armoredman

http://azcdl.capwiz.com/azcdl/issues...ertid=14824091

There's a link to an action page from AZCDL, great outfit who's been hammering on this one!
Old April 8, 2010, 04:46 PM   #136
armoredman

Voting right now...

...and the bill passes house Third Read, by a tally of 36 to 19!
Old April 8, 2010, 09:25 PM   #137
eddiejoe333

Thank God I'm moving to Arizona in about three weeks!
Old April 8, 2010, 11:12 PM   #138
sonick808

it's great to be in AZ
Old April 8, 2010, 11:33 PM   #139
NavyLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiejoe333
Thank God I'm moving to Arizona in about three weeks!
HEY! See if "Dan" has a house for you to buy!

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...atlets031.html
Old April 9, 2010, 08:42 PM   #140
bestwrmd

Arizona House approves concealed weapons bill

Anyway, one big score to Arizona.

http://azcapitoltimes.com/blog/2010/...-weapons-bill/

Now, I am struggling from choosing my next State. Alaska, Vermont, NH, Arizona or Texas. I do like a warm area. Hm... time to do more research.
Old April 9, 2010, 08:50 PM   #141
armoredman

C'mon down, lots of room, lots of ranges, some FREE.
Old April 9, 2010, 08:55 PM   #142
bestwrmd

ha ha. Really? Free? Where?
Old April 9, 2010, 09:19 PM   #143
Standing Wolf
Member in memoriam

Quote:
Opponents argue legalizing concealed weapons will make it easier for criminals to carry them, endangering police.
Yeah, and it'll make global warming worse, too.

Some people aren't happy unless they're bullying other people.

I'm glad to see Arizona adopt constitutional carry. I believe I'll have to spend some vacation dollars there. I'd been thinking about taking Highway 50 across Nevada again, but that state doesn't recognize my Colorado permit.
Old April 9, 2010, 09:35 PM   #144
bestwrmd

Man, I love me some road trip.

Though, I do hope NY will be brave enough to adopt constitutional carry.
Old April 10, 2010, 06:56 PM   #145
armoredman

Where? Take I-10 to I-8, take I-8 towards San Diego, get off on Trekell Road, go south on Trekell about 2 miles to Arica, left on Arica, turns into a dirt road, bear right at the Y, (right at the trap club, nice looking place that has a bunch of RV hookups for members), follow the road down about 1/2 mile, and go past the FIRST range on the left; that's the LE only range. The NEXT left is the Elzy Pearson Memorial public range, 1 80 yard bay, one 275 yard bay, one 100 yard bay, two 25 yard pistol bays, all covered, and all but the 100 yard have concrete pads with concrete shooting benches, bring your own chairs and target holders. One porta potty, bring your own water.
Unsupervised, well maintained by the city of Casa Grande, and 100% FREE.
Old April 11, 2010, 01:47 PM   #146
qcpunk

ArmoredMan, I think you just became my best friend. That range has full Trap and Skeet??? I have been craving some good shotgunning ever since Red Mountain Skeet closed and Picacho Sporting Club is just too dang far and expensive.

I dont suppose that range might have a website?
"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it or their revolutionary right to dismember it or overthrow it." --Abraham Lincoln
Old April 11, 2010, 02:57 PM   #147
bestwrmd

Thanks man. I will be there when I am around. That sure looks like a great treasure.

also, these gun liberty laws shine my day:

"HB 2543, Firearms Preemption. HB 2543 strengthens state firearms preemption laws, adds firearms storage and accessories to the list of things political subdivisions cannot regulate, and removes the prohibition on carrying a firearm in public parks without a concealed weapons (CCW) permit. The text of HB 2543 can be found here: http://www.azleg.gov/legtext/49leg/2r/bills/hb2543h.pdf .

HB 2307, the Firearms Freedom Act. HB 2307 exempts from federal law or regulation firearms manufactured and sold in Arizona as long as they remain in Arizona. This bill sets the stage for some interesting court action. HB 2307 is the latest in a multi-state challenge to federal authority to regulate firearms. Arizona just became the sixth state to pass a Firearms Freedom Act. About 20 other states have introduced similar legislation."

Freedom never seems so sweet.
Old April 11, 2010, 06:12 PM   #148
Conn. Trooper

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=405848

This guy is a prime example of why some people should not own guns. And it was in Arizona. Priceless!
Old April 11, 2010, 08:47 PM   #149
armoredman

And he was arrested for breaking the law. The second that sidearm left that holster with no threat in that store he was in violation of the law. I wish someone had called PD at that moment, before he had that stupid negligent discharge. He was also wearing a DOC uniform shirt from when we apprently kicked him out of the academy.
qcpunk, sorry, the Trap Club is private, have to join that one, though there is an uncovered section at the free public 275 yard range where I have seen people set up throwers, straight out only. Sorry, no website, just a mere mention on the Casa Grande Parks and Recreation website. If you became a member of the trap club, then you could park your RV there, shoot trap and skeet, then drive your towed car down to the rifle/pistol range, and shoot there, then come into town for some food at Olive Garden, which is a non posted resteraunt, if you have an AZ CCW permit, as is and will be required by law to carry into a resteraunt serving open alcohol.
SB1008 was transmitted to the Senate, waiting for it to be sent to the governor.

E
Old April 11, 2010, 10:02 PM   #150
qcpunk

Wow ArmoredMan, Thanks again buddy. I think I definately owe you a few Alaskan Ambers now. I'm out in QC and it's not hard for me to get to 10/8 from Riggs, probably a 45-75 minute drive for me. I'll have to go check it out sometime.

PM sent to avoid sending the thread off topic.