The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 5, 2018, 01:55 PM   #1
jski

MEC Marksman reloading press?

I’m looking for the best of the bread in single stage reloading presses. I’ve looked at the Forster Co-Ax and the RCBS Summit. Now I’m looking at the MEC Marksman.

The MEC uses a case holder but allows some play with how the case holder is held using a spring mechanism. This allows the case and die to properly align. The Co-Ax uses jaws in lieu of a case holder and allows play to help align the case and die. The Summit is convention is this matter, even though it does have the unique feature of the dies coming down on the case.

The one thing I like about all of them is the open face design.

All the reviews I’ve read have given kudos to the MEC. MEC has a long, storied history with shotgun shell reloading and is now getting into metallic case cartridges.

Any experienced users out there?
Old October 5, 2018, 02:54 PM   #2
marchboom

A big difference between the Co-ax and other presses is with the Co-ax die changes are much easier, faster and more accurate. I wish I would have bought the Co-ax when I first started reloading but it never appealed to me. Having used this press for over a year I would not have any other single stage press.
RSO
Old October 12, 2018, 02:37 AM   #3
jski

Here's an interesting video from FortuneCookie45LC: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=txJ2bfFqxSk

It compares the MEC vs Forster vs RCBS vs Lee presses using different dies in a "neck runout" test for concentricity. Spoiler alert: the MEC wins.

Last edited by jski; October 12, 2018 at 02:44 AM.