The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old June 29, 2019, 02:06 PM   #1
TruthTellers

Rossi M92 owners-any regrets?

I see Rossi came back out with their 1892 in .45 Colt and I've had that on my long list for a long time. Since it's unknown how long they be making them for and how infrequently used ones show up on Gunbroker, I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a new one.

For those that owned any caliber of the Rossi 92, were you satisfied with your purchase? What did you like, what did you not like?
Old June 29, 2019, 02:34 PM   #2
CarJunkieLS1

My wife has one in 44mag, she likes it, it's accurate, reliable, and lightweight. Dislike is the curved steel butt plate, iron sights shoot high 8 inches high at 50 yards. The action is a little rough but has slicked up some with use. Wood isn't high quality, but it's definitely serviceable. Trigger pull isn't light it's roughly 8lbs, but it's consistent and easy to learn.

If Rossi would put a rubber butt pad on them instead of curved metal and make it easier to mount optics I'd have one.
Old June 29, 2019, 05:32 PM   #3
TruthTellers

Optics isn't a concern since I'm looking at .45 Colt and the trajectory of that being so steep I would shoot it much further than 150 yards, really I'd mostly be shooting within 100 yards.

But if the rear sight isn't adjustable I'm gonna have to rethink it.
Old June 29, 2019, 10:25 PM   #4
roscoe

What do you mean, not adjustable? It is adjustable like every Winchester-style rear leaf site since the 19th century. Just move the stepped block under the leaf.
Old June 29, 2019, 11:05 PM   #5
Targa

I have one in .44mag that I really enjoy. If there are any negatives I can think of it’s that the action was a little rough in the beginning, it shoots a bit high and the magazine follower is plastic. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy this rifle again.

Also, like Roscoe said, the rear sight is adjustable for elevation and windage.
Old June 30, 2019, 09:31 AM   #6
Tony Z

I have ne in .44 mag an like it alot. The wood was ugly, but a bit of walnut tinted wax (Briwax) took care of that nicely. Action was not bad, cycling a few hundred times smoothed it out nicely and the trigger, in mine, is decent.

Bought new, and would not hesitate to buy another.
Old June 30, 2019, 03:26 PM   #7
COSteve

I picked up 2 new Rossis back in 2009; a 20" blued carbine and a blued, case hardened receiver 24" rifle. Both are in .357mag and I also picked up an Uberti Cattleman SA Cavalry model pistol in .357mag to go with them. They are hands down great fun and one or both go to the range with me almost every time I go.

I did an action and trigger job on both of them using Steve Young's parts and DvD which was an easy and fun task. They slicked up very nicely and while each will feed both my 38spl and .357mag handloads, I choose to shoot 158grn full power .357mag loads through both of them.

Out in the woods, the carbine and pistol are a great combination for plinking and hunting light game. The rifle is primarily for the range as it has a tang sight as well as a globe front sight I use to shoot bowling pins at 200yds and also steel plates at 300yds with. I wouldn't trade or sell either for 10 times what I got them for.
Old June 30, 2019, 04:39 PM   #8
PatientWolf

I have one observation and one regret.

Observation: the smoothness when new varies a fair amount from gun to gun.

Regret: I don’t get to shoot mine as much as I wish I could.

I prefer the handiness of the 16”, but the others are not too long either

I would prefer a recoil pad, but can live without it.

I do love them though.

Last edited by PatientWolf; June 30, 2019 at 04:55 PM.
Old June 30, 2019, 05:49 PM   #9
Hawg

I have an older one in 44-40 and I love it. The action was a little rough but slicked up nice. I changed the rear sight to a Marbles Full Buckhorn and I love
curved steel butt plates. just put it against your upper arm instead of your shoulder. The only thing about mine is it has no lever safety and will fire out of battery if the trigger is pulled before the lever is fully closed. No I didn't find out the hard way I don't know if newer ones are the same way or not.
Old June 30, 2019, 06:16 PM   #10
44caliberkid

I have one in 44-40. First owner had the action and trigger slicked up for Cowboy action shooting, which is my purpose too. It came with a black stained mystery wood stock and forend that looked atrocious, so I replaced it with American walnut. I don't remember the source but at the time, two companies made replacement wood for it. It's a great little rifle.
Old July 2, 2019, 01:01 PM   #11
jfruser

Wife owns a 20" blued .44mag.

Bought used, action is slicker than owl scat. Like the old jungle boots, buying used takes the pain out of the purchase, sveing money and letting the other guy break it in.
Old July 3, 2019, 12:27 PM   #12
shafter

Mine is a 357 and I have no regrets. It's a very sleek little carbine.
Old July 26, 2019, 03:01 PM   #13
TruthTellers

OP here, the Rossi is on my list, it's bought as soon as I can find some available with the 16" barrel.

One thing I intend to replace is the rear sight, I don't think I'll be as accurate with it as something like an aperture sight like the ones Skinner Sights makes.

I only know of Skinner Sights, if anybody else knows of aftermarket iron sights for the Rossi 92's, please lemme know. Ideally, I'd like a rear sight that I can mount on the very rear of the receiver to increase sight radius, but given the 92's locking lugs, IDK if that can be done or if anyone makes such a sight.
Old July 26, 2019, 07:43 PM   #14
PatientWolf

These are all companies that offer reciiever mounted peep sights. I can't say if they require drilling and tapping.

Williams Sights
Marbles sights
Lyman's Sights

This may be another option for you.
https://store.stevesgunz.com/index.p...=index&cPath=3
Old July 26, 2019, 09:58 PM   #15
Targa

Quote:
OP here, the Rossi is on my list, it's bought as soon as I can find some available with the 16" barrel.
Mine is the 16”, like I said, I really like it but if it were available when I bought mine I would have gone with the 20”.
Old July 26, 2019, 10:58 PM   #16
armednfree

I have a 45 colt and a 357. Both work very well. One issue is with the 45 colt. The rear sight step ladder is ground flat so with my 300 grain loads it walks out.
Old July 27, 2019, 07:17 AM   #17
Tony Z

Regrets? Definitely: that I passed them by for years, when commonly available! I have a .44 magnum in 20" that is one of my funnest firearms! Needed nothing (bought new), except a couple of coats of Briwax (dark cherry) to improve the stock's appearance,
Old July 27, 2019, 04:03 PM   #18
dgludwig

Quote:
Mine is the 16”, like I said, I really like it but if it were available when I bought mine I would have gone with the 20”.
Yep, a 20" barrel length on a lever-action, centerfire carbine is plenty short enough for almost any practical purpose imo.
Old July 28, 2019, 12:18 PM   #19
Obambulate

We have an older Interarms Rossi 92 16" in .357, purchased used. It was dead accurate when I bought it. My wife loves it and can't seem to miss with this rifle. It is part of our comprehensive home defence plan and the short barrel allows manoeuvrability indoors.
Old July 28, 2019, 02:42 PM   #20
the possum

I wish mine didn't have a canted barrel. But it was either take it or leave it, so overall I'm still glad I bought it. If you have the choice though, look over the hammer (while the hammer is down) and make sure it's lined up with the sights.

Have you handled a 16" model in person yet? The sight radius is terribly short. Shorter than a long barreled revolver. Feels more like a pistol with a buttstock. I went with a 20" and don't regret it.
Old July 28, 2019, 07:20 PM   #21
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by the possum View Post
I wish mine didn't have a canted barrel. But it was either take it or leave it, so overall I'm still glad I bought it. If you have the choice though, look over the hammer (while the hammer is down) and make sure it's lined up with the sights.

Have you handled a 16" model in person yet? The sight radius is terribly short. Shorter than a long barreled revolver. Feels more like a pistol with a buttstock. I went with a 20" and don't regret it.
No, but whether I were to get the 16 or 20 inch barrel I was going to replace the rear sight. So far the two options available are a bolt mounted peep sight that replaces the safety or a tang mounted sight. Either increases the sight radius and this isn't a rifle I'm looking to shoot more than 200 yards away with.
Old July 29, 2019, 03:22 PM   #22
FrankenMauser

Quote:
These are all companies that offer reciiever mounted peep sights. I can't say if they require drilling and tapping.

Williams Sights
Marbles sights
Lyman's Sights
Also:
Skinner Sights
XS Sighting Systems
Ranger Point Precision (RPP)

Old, used Weaver sights show up in classifieds / auctions occasionally.
Old July 29, 2019, 06:49 PM   #23
PatientWolf

Thanks for adding to my very incomplete list Frankenmauser.
Old July 30, 2019, 07:59 AM   #24
COSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by the possum View Post
I'll 2nd that about the feel. A 16" barreled levergun feels poorly balanced to me. There isn't enough weight on the barrel to keep it from wandering so it's harder to aim with. And yes, the sight radius is really short; 14½" on a 16" carbine.
Old July 30, 2019, 01:50 PM   #25
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I'll 2nd that about the feel. A 16" barreled levergun feels poorly balanced to me. There isn't enough weight on the barrel (...)
That's pretty much the point: Short, light, and handy.
There is no free lunch. It means that people that prefer muzzle-heavy rifles for stability won't like them. But short, light, and handy are the primary driving forces behind 16" lever guns.

My 20" and 22" barrel lever guns feel good. But, sometimes... I want something shorter and lighter.

Quote:
And yes, the sight radius is really short; 14½" on a 16" carbine.
As mentioned earlier, sight radius can be extended with a receiver-mounted sight. (or tang sight)
Carefully choosing sights can also provide more precision, which can negate the 'loss of precision' that comes with a short sight radius.

I spent about a year (maybe more), on and off, refining a receiver sight design, and figuring out what front sight to pair with it, for a .30-30 Marlin 336 with a 16.125" barrel.
Sight radius is now just shy of 16".
Everyone that tries that sight combination loves it.
The first time tested in the current (almost certainly final) configuration, it quickly progressed from sight verification at about 60 yards, to head shots on an "IPSC" steel target at 390 yards, for everyone but the guys that "can't see anything without a scope any more". ...But, of course, it was already proven to be a very accurate rifle. Changing sights or scoping a "shotgun pattern" rifle won't make it shoot any better. Ya gotsta have good bones ta build off'a.

No, not everyone needs to design a bespoke sight for their rifle. There are plenty of good options on the market. I just prefer drawing outside the lines.

This is the sight's profile. One would think that the semi-buckhorn shape would be less than ideal, and that it would reduce field of view too much and become a handicap; but it pairs very well with a fine brass bead front sight blade. (5/64" bead, I believe)

Perspective view. Orthographic makes it look funky.
Attached Images
File Type: png BPBH_profile.png (14.3 KB, 1034 views)