The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 17, 2011, 10:59 AM   #51
Silent Bob

Yes the strikers on Glocks will become sluggish if oil and gunk gets in the striker channel. I've experienced it myself when I foolishly lubed my first Glock like it was the Exxon Valdez and have seen it time and time again at the shooting range.
Old December 17, 2011, 01:05 PM   #52
mehavey

Use weapons lubricated/(externally)cleaned wiped dry using either BreakFree, MiliTec-1 or Weapon Shield. Those particular CLPs provide residual surface slip/rust protection w/o attracting dirt, sand, dust and other abrasive/jammers

The only place actual grease might ever go is on specified points in Garand-type actions -- and even then only very, very sparingly.
Old December 18, 2011, 12:58 AM   #53
ClydeFrog

Oil, grease, CLPs, & TLC...

If you were to ask most agency/PD armorers, gunsmiths, gun shop owners or FFL holders what one of the most common problems gun owners have is over-use or excessive use of oils/grease/CLPs/etc.

With most firearms, a little goes a LONG way. It's important to avoid large amounts of oil or cleaning products because it may clog or prevent the parts from moving. It may also cause dust, grit, gunk, sand, etc to jam up.

As I sometimes say; "put a lot of oil on your sub or salad, not your carry gun."
Old January 11, 2012, 04:47 PM   #54
pat701

Try Kroil will remove lead and fouling. good stuff do a google on it for firearms.
Old January 12, 2012, 01:51 AM   #55
primerman

I like the eezox but it is hard to fine where I live, I usually have to order off the internet. The Break Free worked well but one day I tried some Hoppe's Elite (M-Pro-7) and it cleans the best on all of them. I also use the Hoppe's Elite gun oil with TR-3 (I think that's what its called) not sure if it protects against rust like the eezox but so far I have had no issues when it come to the lubricant on any of these products. The Hoppe's Elite has no odor and it says it is biodegradable/non toxic. I probably should say that all I am shooting are hand guns. (Revolver and Semi Autos)