The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 28, 2009, 07:41 AM   #51
igor

I got Omega X-33 for all of my tactical needs... excellent readability, serious backlight when needed, UTC time with separate alarms, rotating bezel and strong Luminovas. And the alarms are LOUD.

Also have a 5.11 HRT watch but nowadays can only use the Horus Vision ballistic calculator on it. The Chinese crap-ching movement said up its contract right at warranty end. The calculator is brilliant but everything about the hardware is utter tinsel, for which, shame on 5.11.
Good karateka I have known were intelligent, original, capable, unpredictable, aggressive, brave, and dangerous. Most had a dark side. Daily practice for decades at hurting other people does not make liberals.

John Farnam quoting a friend, Feb. 2004
Old December 28, 2009, 08:09 AM   #52
Double Naught Spy

I like the Timex Ironman series of watches. The last two I have purchased were under $40. I simply run them tell the 5 year battery runs out and replace the whole watch.
Old December 28, 2009, 09:24 AM   #53
johnwilliamson062

IDK about tactical, but if you want a good ooking watch with quality internal works(Read will keep good time) for a VERY reasonable price then try here:
http://www.overstock.com/Jewelry-Wat...48/subcat.html
Yes, I buy my watches and sheets from overstock.com.

Rolex's actually have terrible internal works, some of the worst around. By non-aesthetic standards they are some of the worst watches available. Thing is most women don't care at all about function, at least those you might try to impress with a watch, so they still have a wondrous effect.

Last edited by johnwilliamson062; December 28, 2009 at 09:34 AM.
Old December 28, 2009, 06:11 PM   #54
wally626

Quote:
I have the Casio G Shock Atomic / Solar and was quite pleased with it for about the first year. After that, it will not hold a charge for anything. I can spend the entire day out in the sun and the first time I hit the indiglo on it, it is already running out of juice.
Yours might be defective, mine has had no issues for years and years, the only time it even gets to medium power is in the winter if I am wearing long sleeve shirts in the office. Make sure the auto-light-on is off (that is where if you turn you arm the light comes on) and make sure it can see light a little. If you normally wear long sleeve shirts and jackets so that the watch seldom sees the light, it is not the watch for you. The only problem I have now is that in my new house my watch does not sync in the place I normally keep it. at night. So once a week or so I put it in an W. facing window overnight.
Old December 28, 2009, 08:36 PM   #55
Bill DeShivs

"Rolex's actually have terrible internal works, some of the worst around. By non-aesthetic standards they are some of the worst watches available."

That's funny! Rolex automatic movements are probably the finest movements made. Now if you don't know the difference between a quartz and automatic, I can understand the statement.
Quartz watches keep better time than any mechanical watch. Of the mechanicals, the Rolex is near (or at) the top. And your Rolex's batteries won't run down.
Old December 28, 2009, 09:08 PM   #56
Shadi Khalil

I rock a swatch watch.
Old December 28, 2009, 09:45 PM   #57
w_houle

Quote:
And your Rolex's batteries won't run down.
Neither did my Timex Automatic, too bad it's dead
Old January 4, 2010, 10:15 PM   #58
bangbang777

I wear a Tag Heuer Classic 2000. It's incredibly accurate, waterproof, rugged and looks great
Old January 5, 2010, 11:46 AM   #59
Ranger325

I've worn my Rol' Sub for over 25 years............. and yes I have a demo knife and a blue sapphire ring too!

Regards,
Old January 11, 2010, 08:03 PM   #60
macsr01

I wear my watch to tell what time it its..... not a whole lot more. Date and a few extras are nice but seriously, 5K + for a watch ? No thanks. I'll stick with my $60 G Shock and spend the rest on some decent guns or gear.
Old January 11, 2010, 10:24 PM   #61
EnoughGUN

Don't know if anyone remembers a show back in the 80s that tested products but they did a show on the G-shock watch. Dropped it out of a helicopter, played hocky with it etc and it came through no problem. They then bought a $12 Timex and did all the same tests with it and it did not malfunction either.
Old January 11, 2010, 10:30 PM   #62
BRUNO1911

Life has been good to me.Still here after 45 years

Two Kimbers (the all black one and SEIKO are my daily tools) the (two/tone and OMEGA SEAMASTER see day light now and then) The OMEGA was a gift from girlfriend when I turned 40

Be Safe,
BRUNO1911