The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old November 17, 2008, 10:36 PM   #1
300magman

Trouble with a semi-rare old .22 Help please

Does anyone know how to disassemble the bolt on a Winchester Western (Canada) Cooey Model 600 .22 bolt action repeater. This gun is somewhere near 50 years old I think...but I have no way to verify.
It came with a somewhat elaborate engraving of a rabbit on the stock and has a barrel around 24" long if memory serves.

The firing pin is worn from use (presumably) and it no longer makes enough contact with the rim of the shell to ensure reliable operation...perhaps 1 fire out of 3 or 4 strikes. Can it be moved forward if it is worn (I'm going to try a cleaning first if I can disassemble the bolt itself)
Old November 26, 2008, 02:17 PM   #2
PetahW

First, verify that the rifle is unloaded by checking the chamber & breech.

Next remove the barrel/action from the stock by unscrewing the slotted screw on the bottom of the stock.

On the bottom of the action there is a threaded rod with a nut on it. Using the proper size wrench loosen this nut and unscrew the threaded rod until the tube magazine drops down enough to disengage from the bottom of the rifles bolt. pull the bolt to the rear (it will go back further than normal at this point) and then pull the trigger and keep it to the rear while withdrawing the bolt from the rifle.

I would flush out the firing pin channel with a good cleaner amd air pressure.

Reassembly is the reverse of the above, taking care not to screw the threaded rod in too far or it will keep the tube magazine from moving back and forth as it should.
Old November 26, 2008, 06:36 PM   #3
adamhome

cooey mod 600 rep .22

pm an e-mail 'n I'll attach a manual 1.1 MB files to much for the forum attachment of about 400
acha: no s/n made before 1961
adam
Old November 9, 2011, 08:48 AM   #4
novascotia

Cooey 600 user manual

Is it possible to have a Cooey 600 user manual sent to me as well, if I provide my email address?
Old November 10, 2011, 09:47 PM   #5
300magman

What exactly is it that you are trying to do with the rifle? Other than actually disassembling the bolt itself the rest is fairly straight forward, I might be able to help you out if the directions in this thread still leave you wanting.
Old January 15, 2012, 11:18 AM   #6
cal_h

looking for info on how to disassemble the bolt on a win-cooey 600

the problem is as above ... one shot fires and several light strikes....... no fire

upon close inspection, the striker part of the bolt has a worn guide pin or dowel
this is allowing the striker part of the bolt out of alignment with the v notch between the two pieces of the bolt ...... my opinion is the striker is hitting and rotating into place with most of the energy gone, this is causing the light strikes and misfires ...... and the occasional good fire

now: how to disassemble the bolt and remove that pin (dowel) for replacement

thanks
cal
Old January 20, 2012, 11:36 PM   #7
Mr_Raw

Can you post some pic's of the bolt so we can better understand its construction.
Old January 21, 2012, 03:48 AM   #8
loof

Model 600 trigger guard

Hi all, I have an old Cooey model 600 that needs a trigger guard can someone advise where I would be able to purchase one (online)
I am in Australia and can't find anyone who can supply. thanks