The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 19, 2007, 07:34 PM   #51
Desert01

Smitty,

It's sitting on the shelf at the dealer. Now i just need to fight my scheaduale so I can get there
Old September 19, 2007, 07:51 PM   #52
Smitty in CT

Somebody must have "hand carried" it & took the scenic route!!!

Glad it's at least getting closer... make sure to do a good torture test on it and post back. I don't want to be the only one having all the fun!!

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -- Gen. George Patton
Old September 22, 2007, 09:39 PM   #53
Desert01

930 SPX has arrived. I've been to busy to do much more the put it away. Monday I should be able to give it a good once over. That said I like what I see and after reading the owners manual I am even more impressed with what the Mossberg team has done.
Old September 24, 2007, 10:44 AM   #54
Desert01

930 SPX Impressions

Don't think I will make it out to the range today, but here are my notes:

1. Overall well thought out shotgun, light, trim and well balanced.
2. LPA Sights, need I say more. Some may not like that the rear is removable, but I prefer it. Also allows me to mount a Mini-Red Dot like the Doctor or Burris FireSite.

3. Cocked indicator protrudes inside the front of the trigger guard.

4. Choate Extended Mag tube, some people don't like them, but I have never had a problem with one.
5. Unloading. The bolt release below the ejection port also doubles as a shell stop release. Turn your shotgun on its back, depress the shell carrier and then depress the release. One shell comes out, lift out and repeat till unloaded. Turn it back over right side up and eject the round in the chamber, then inspect for clear.

Very nice

What would I like to see added?

1. Dave's Metal Works Over Sized Charging Handle. Not currently availible
2. High Visability follower. Availible at Brownells I believe, if the 500 models work.
3. Single Point Sling Plate. Availible at Brownells I believe, if the 500 models work.
4. Since it is a semi, maybe a Mesa Tactical Side Saddle. Not currently availible
5. Mesa Tactical Magazine and Barrel Clamps for mounting my M-6X

Last edited by Desert01; September 24, 2007 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Spelling, added photos
Old September 29, 2007, 09:57 PM   #55
shermdo

Details about the sights

I have a Mossberg 500 on which I have been wanting to put the same rail and sights as the 930. I now where to get the rail but after several phone calls and e-mails including to Mossberg I have found no information on those sights. Any information that you could share would be greatly apreciated.

I really like how the 930 looks in photos but I have not yet gotten to see one in person.

Thanks in advance.
Old September 30, 2007, 11:06 AM   #56
Desert01

Something like this:

They are LPA's I keep meaning to stock them, but haven't gotten around to it yet. here's the link: PSI

You need the BAR11W and SG6M1F unless you want to send it off to a smith.
Old September 30, 2007, 04:22 PM   #57
shermdo

That looks like them

Thanks Desert01. That looks like the one I need. I will have to think a little more though regard spending $250 for sites for a $400 shotgun. I could just buy a Mossberg 930 and get the sites on it. Oh well. It will be a nice Mossy 500 when I am done.
Old October 1, 2007, 09:12 AM   #58
Smitty in CT

Desert01,

So........... did you get to play with the new toy yet??

I took mine out to the sporting clays course this past weekend.

No problems with the gun at all ....got a lot of funny looks from people, though.

It shot great, I did miss a fair amount of targets though...especially the mid to long shots, the cylinder bore definitely is a disadvantage!!!

I'm thinking about having the barrel "tapped" for chokes, but realistically, I'll probably leave it alone, the gun isn't intended to be a target gun and I think my wood "field" 930 is getting jealous, LOL

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -- Gen. George Patton
Old October 1, 2007, 08:32 PM   #59
Desert01

The joy of the removeable sight. Get a 930 vent rib barrel, say 26" or so and convert it
Old October 5, 2007, 11:07 AM   #60
Desert01

Test Fire

Just finished our usual test fire/break in for new guns:

1. Open box
2. Apply lube, today was spray on Rem oil
3. For shotguns we do a mix of slugs (to zero) down to low base fodder all 2 3/4". 200rnds total.
4. Perform various drills on the square
5. Fire from the under arm"assault" position (shotgun only)

Bottom line no malfunctions, good groups and a light fast handling over all package. My 11-87 is now moth balled in the "referance library".

I have previously shown my preferance for the LPA sights. That preferance contionues. The red fiber optic front sight is a great aid to getting on target fast. The rear sight was almost dead on out of the box and adjusted quickly for zero.

I continue to love the Mossberg safety location. My Remingtons have been converted to Left handed Vang Comp oversized safetys, but the tang mounted Mossberg is quicker and more positive, for me at least.

I had previously replaced the follower with a spare high vis. It came off of a Remington, but seems to fit perfectly. I will run it for awhile to check for fit or reliability issues.

I didn't get the "Remington" thumb from the shell lifter. The potental is there, but the cut out seems good enough.

Recoil is always subjective, but seems to be quite manageable.

I did not run it with the breaching barrel, yet just the standard SPX barrel.

I am glad to see Mossberg introduce the 930 SPX. The 930 SPX is a very viable option for a duty shotgun.

The semi's biggest advantage over the pump gun is that they fit the common manual of arms with auto pistols and the carbines coming on line. Vastly over simplified for this disscussion but they are:

Load, aim, shoot, reload.

The semi does this and gives you reduced recoil as a bonus. I have also seen personel transitioning from carbines to pump shotguns fail to even try and cycle the action. They had the AR's semi action ingrained and simply couldn't remember to pump.

For HARD use you can't bet the pump for reliabilty, nor for versitility. But for average duty use semi's are a good chioce.

For what it's worth, now if I can just get some 12" barrels made
Old October 5, 2007, 12:51 PM   #61
Smitty in CT

Nice Report!!!

Have you tried any rapid fire drills??

Everybody that tries with mine leaves grinning from ear to ear.... it's very quick, much less than 2 seconds...

Old October 7, 2007, 05:10 PM   #62
RoyP

I just picked one up today at dicks sporting goods.They had one sitting right on the rack.I was actually looking for a 590(olny because I didn't think I would find the930spx) I really wanted the SPX more anyways.I took it to the range after stopping home briefly to grab my gear and go over the gun real quick.I put around 40 rounds of a mix of sabot slugs,regular slugs,lowbase shot shells and some 3" mag turkey loads.The 3" produced a nice flame out the short barrel.the gun was very accurate.I love the fiber optic front sight.I didn't do any rapid firing but did shoot it fairly quickly round after round.It fuctioned perfectly with all loads.It tossed the empties about 8-10' away in a nice pile.I mutilated a large coffee can by the time I was done.I couldn't be happier
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PDR_930spx.JPG (28.7 KB, 419 views)
Old October 8, 2007, 07:17 AM   #63
Smitty in CT

They have them at Dicks now??!!

If you don't mind, how much are they getting for them??

Last edited by Smitty in CT; October 8, 2007 at 10:40 AM.
Old October 8, 2007, 03:09 PM   #64
RoyP

At least the dicks I went to does(did they only had one).I paid $559.The dicks nearest me had the 590 model but sold it already.I think they might just ship random amongst then.They also had the 4x4 in marine coat/laminate in 270 but my local one only has them in 30-06?I could have got it a little cheaper if I ordered it but I hate waiting
Old October 8, 2007, 03:23 PM   #65
Sam815

I just saw one at a Dick's Sporting Goods near me for $549.99, it was right besides the 500 mariner model. It'll be my next one, already have a 500, 590 and Benelli Nova tactical model with extension (7+1). Can't see paying $1,500bucks for shotty when any of these will do the same job. I felt like the kid who walks into the petshop and see's the cute puppy saying "take me home".
Old October 8, 2007, 03:29 PM   #66
RoyP

The one I got my 930 at had a couple of the marine 6 shot 500's
Old October 8, 2007, 03:46 PM   #67
shooter_john

I finally got one too... sort of. My wife agreed that 'Santa' could bring me one, so he has left it with my buddy (FFL'er) to wait for Christmas. Total was $504 shipped!
Old October 10, 2007, 06:36 PM   #68
Desert01

930SPX/Tactical Combo

Here is why I like the removebable rear sight. And Choate is making me a +1 extension tomorrow for use in this configuration! Now I need to fit the light and sling plate.

FYI, this "combo" doesn't exist so far as I know outside of our shop.
Old October 10, 2007, 07:57 PM   #69
Smitty in CT

Desert,

Plan on knocking on some doors???? What ever you're selling, I'll buy it!!
BTW, Where did you get the barrel, I contacted Mossberg and they told me they're not selling the "tactical" barrel seperately??

~~~~

My G,G,&G sling adapter should arrive tommorrow,

I'll post pics and post a report on it once it's installed.

Old October 10, 2007, 08:46 PM   #70
Desert01

Here is the Hi Vis Follower:

As for the combo can't help you yet
Old October 11, 2007, 06:21 AM   #71
flip180

I was wondering how the action works if it is either recoil or gas driven.

Thanks, Flip.
Old October 11, 2007, 06:25 AM   #72
Smitty in CT

Gas Operated, nice soft shooter!!....no o-rings, BTW

Old October 11, 2007, 02:55 PM   #73
Smitty in CT

The GG&G forward sling adapter mount for the 590 came today, it fits perfectly, so this adapter mount will work on both the 590 and the 930!!

The only problem now is that the only "tactical" sling that I have is a Blackhawk model that has a cuff for the buttstock sewn into the sling....I have an old rifle sling hanging off of it right now but it doesn't do the adapter mount or the SPX justice at this point...

I'll try and find a tactical sling that will fit and post back pictures....

Old October 14, 2007, 02:09 AM   #74
Kittrell

Is there any reason you couldn't pick up the tactical model, as well as the mag for the regular SPX. Or would it just be easier to go the Choate route? Just thinking out loud here.
Old October 14, 2007, 05:44 AM   #75
Desert01

The standard SPX tube works with the Tactical model, however it interfers with proper use of the breacher. Going down to a +1 gives a good compromise. Choate makes the OEM tubes which are plainly marked on the end of the mag tube. I had to call Choate to have it made, a +1 is not a standard item for them.