The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old May 1, 2018, 01:18 AM   #1
Cyanide971

FBI 9mm +P Ammo Contract

Wow, didn’t see that coming, especially not since Gold Dot, HST, or Ranger-T are the usual selections for HP pistol ammo contracts. Congrats to Hornady! Would be interesting to see all test results and whatnot from the entire field of competitors.

https://press.hornady.com/release/20...tion-contract/
Old May 1, 2018, 03:29 AM   #2
jmr40

Good for Hornady. I like the company and their products.

Winston Churchill
Old May 1, 2018, 06:33 AM   #3
RETG

Only experience I have had with Hornady is in their .44 mag line and after studying it at the range, it creeps more than Cor-Bon Hunter ammo, so I won't use it.

But other than than, never heard much about it; other than their ludicrous Zombie rounds.

We were never issued Hornady ammo.

Notice the contract covers 9mm and .40.

But love what Hornady is doing to NY....
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...-gun-business/
I give MY OPINION (not often) based on many years shooting at, other than paper targets. I will not debate my experience vs. your experience based on dreams and "what ifs." I'm 73; I'm too damn old to care.

Last edited by RETG; May 1, 2018 at 06:40 AM.
Old May 1, 2018, 04:05 PM   #4
dano1200r

I've been shooting this Critical Duty in 9mm and 45 since it's release. It's impressive on paper. Shoots well in both subcompact, compact and full size. One gun that it had multiple ftfs was of all guns the h&k 45 USP. The HK45 and HK45C were fine. Sig 938 was very manageable. I did not try it in the p30.
Seems like there is actual qc going on during production runs. Now they'll probably raise the price.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old May 1, 2018, 06:43 PM   #5
JDBerg

FBI Divides $35M Contract Amoung Three Ammo Companies

http://www.guns.com/2018/04/30/fbi-d...mmo-companies/

The OP cites a Hornady company press release, which doesn’t tell the full story. Here’s the full story;

The FBI just let three separate IDIQ contracts for 9mm Luger service, reduced lead training, and frangible ammo;

Vista (parent company of Federal) was awarded a $19 million IDIQ

Hornady was awarded an $11 million IDIQ for 135 gr. FlexLock Critical Duty ammo

Olin (parent company of Winchester) received an IDIQ for the $5 million balance.

This is how the DoD and the Federal Agencies roll, put these IDIQ’s out there to buy ammo for a federal agency that needs it to do its job, then spread the work around to as many different companies as possible, affecting as many different workers and local economies as possible, including the politicians that represent those workers and economies. This makes it more difficult for some flea-bag lefty politician to kill off three separate federal agency ammunition contracts totaling $35 Mil.

Last edited by JDBerg; May 1, 2018 at 06:51 PM.
Old May 1, 2018, 07:02 PM   #6
sparkyv

Congrats to Hornady, Federal and Winchester. I just thanked Hornady for taking a stand against anti-gun NY politicians.
Old May 2, 2018, 01:35 AM   #7
Cyanide971

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDBerg View Post
http://www.guns.com/2018/04/30/fbi-d...mmo-companies/

The OP cites a Hornady company press release, which doesn’t tell the full story. Here’s the full story...
JD, thanks for the follow-up. Much appreciated!
Old May 2, 2018, 06:25 AM   #8
wild cat mccane

If you have looked into Federal HST results, Hornady makes no sense.
Old May 3, 2018, 12:27 AM   #9
rickyrick

I don’t know about the handgun stuff, but Hornady makes some mighty fine varmint ammunition. It will put 5 holes all in a neat little cloverleaf at 100yds with my little Mini14. I like them even more now.
Old May 4, 2018, 10:46 AM   #10
fastbolt

The FBI appropriately has its own idea of what's acceptable for their agents to use as service ammunition in their approved calibers. They've awarded contracts to major American ammunition makers, and it's not uncommon for them to have more than a single contract running at the same time.

If you don't "like" their choice(s) this month, wait a while.
Old May 4, 2018, 08:01 PM   #11
Nanuk

I remember with the Border Patrol having three different brands of ammo in the arms room. Nothing unusual.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old May 5, 2018, 01:51 PM   #12
JDBerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild cat mccain:
If you have looked into Federal HST results, Hornady makes no sense.
I used to carry Hornady American Gunner / Custom 124gr standard & +P, and I always thought that was really good & accurate ammo. The 135 gr Hornady FlexLock Critical Duty is also really good, but usually a little expensive and often hard to find.

But I’ve started to carry the Federal HST ammo which is great stuff but usually a little cheaper & easier to find than the Hornady ammo. These all shoot really great out of my Glock 17 & 19 which are the guns the FBI now has, so I think the FlexLock Critical Duty ammo should work out great for.the agents in the agency!
Old May 7, 2018, 07:52 PM   #13
Model12Win

The Critical Duty might not expand so mightily, but it penetrates very nicely through many different barriers.

Expansion taint the only "thing", pard.
Old May 24, 2018, 09:27 PM   #14
Brian48

Congrats to Hornady. So glad to see good karma go their way after they boldly told the liberal state of NY to F off. Proud of them and hope they have great success.