The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

View Poll Results: Did you ever draw your weapon?
Yes 204 47.33%
No 227 52.67%
Voters: 431. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 15, 2009, 11:49 PM   #126
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

You pulled your gun because someone parked next to you?! Really?:barf:
Old August 16, 2009, 02:20 AM   #127
Satanic Toaster

only twice

The first time I was coming out of a movie at about 2:00am with my fiance and a group of men were standing nearby their car which was by my truck. The began making crude comments about my fiance and asking if she wanted to come with them. I politely told them to leave us alone and was told to shut up in more crude language than that. One of the men grabbed her arm and i told them to let her go and we would be on our way. He didn't and began to twist her arm and I struck him with my Security Six on the side of his head. The group got fidgety quick. I told them to step away and they cleared out of the area real quick. Called LEO's and the car was picked up later that night for DUI. figures. LEO's said one of the passengers had a large welt on his head and I confirmed it was from a Ruger hitting him.

Second time was when I was home alone and I was getting ready for bed and saw flashlights shining into my back windows. I put my Security Six in my pocket and grabbed my Ithaca Model 37 and went and turned on the floodlights to see a group of scared looking teenagers with black on. I guess a 6'3" man with a 12 gauge is a frightening sight. The all ran off in different directions.

Hopefully I won't ever have to draw again.
Old August 16, 2009, 01:00 PM   #128
Crankylove

Pulled it once, never had to fire it, or even point it at someone. The sight of it was enough to make 2 would be car thiefs change their minds about what they should be doing that night.
Old August 16, 2009, 03:11 PM   #129
Trooper Tyree

Quote:
It doesn't have to be too serious. In this one I am a cowboy. You can tell by my hat. It even has a pony in it. How serious can it be with a pony in it?

Penguin's got the idea, there doesn't have to be anything serious about drawing your gun. I've never drawn a handgun but I have drawn one of my rifles for a cowboy scene.

I do have to ask Penguin, just what exactly is any self respecting cowboy doing with an automatic? Poor fellow, I'll be he's the laughing stock of the roundup.
Old August 16, 2009, 03:14 PM   #130
Playboypenguin

Quote:
I do have to ask Penguin, just what exactly is any self respecting cowboy doing with an automatic? Poor fellow, I'll be he's the laughing stock of the roundup.
Right up until I get in a gun battle with a black hat and they fire off their six rounds and I still have one left.
Old August 19, 2009, 06:56 PM   #131
Only S&W and Me

Reading through this thread, the situations you would have to draw (and possibly fire). I hate to generalize but really here are the most probable:

1) You are held up at gunpoint in public - most likely you provide your wallet and not draw for fear of being shot first. (I would let the wallet go).

2) You are held up at gunpoint at car window - most likely get the hell out with your vehicle unless blocked where most likely you submit your vehicle (maybe/maybe not). (I would let the car go on gunpoint. Aggressive person at window no gun, I drive off)

2) You are attacked physically off-guard. You probably don't have a chance to grab your gun in a struggle. If he has a knife or gun during the attack, you most likely will draw if have chance, but most likely you depend on your physical strength to defend. (I would use physical stength).

3) You are approached by an attacker with knife at enough distance to respond. You draw and fire if needed depending on the intent. (I would draw and fire if necessary)

4) You are approached by multiple aggressive men (or women). (I would draw immediately upon intent, to defend myself)

These are my thoughts I will respond to. Most events will fall into one of these scenarios.

I don't care if the bad guys call the cops...I would highly doubt any of these losers would.
Old August 20, 2009, 01:43 AM   #132
bbbigbossbb

I was trying to get some sleep when a heard a few wheezing barks outside my window. I loaded up my Ruger 10/22 (I know it's not a handgun, but I felt like making conversation) and headed outside with a flashlight. I checked all around my backyard with the light just to make sure. Nothing there. I didn't sleep that night because I was afraid my cat would be dead or something. Looking back on it, it probably wasn't the smartest thing to do. First, risking my life over a cat was pretty dumb, and second, I don't know if a .22LR or a few would be able to take down a coyote. Maybe a fox though. Please educate me if you can.
Old August 20, 2009, 08:15 AM   #133
coondogger

Never.
Old August 20, 2009, 10:59 AM   #134
Skans

Yes. Many years ago, I drew a handgun one time during a July 4th race riot. I was in a car with a date trying to get to where the fireworks display was. I was stuck in a huge traffic jam when all around me people were getting out of their cars and fighting in the street. I had a Jennings .22 pistol with me. Pulled it, racked the slide and got prepared to shoot if need be. Fortunately I traffic started moving a little and I got the heck out of there.

Several things I learned:

1. Never keep your gun behind your seat because it is very difficult to reach when you might need it - took way too much time to retrieve
2. Racking the slide of a gun to chamber a round, especially with a cheap Jennings .22 is difficult when it fails to chamber a round correctly.
3. When the SHTF, you will be angry if all you have is a crappy .22 that is giving you problems.

Interestingly, the little J-22 functions great when I'm plinking with it, but if this had been a life threatening situation, I would have been in trouble (did finally get it to chamber a round...just took too long to get the one that didn't chamber properly out of there). I have to say, I did wish I had my little 5-shot snub nose revolver instead.
Old August 28, 2009, 12:18 AM   #135
biohazurd

Handgun no, AK-47 Yes...
Old August 28, 2009, 12:47 AM   #136
Skan21

Never as a civilian. Many times in Iraq.

Some of you guys need to trade in a few of those Safe Queens and see if you can get a good deal on a Sense of Humor.- Me
Old August 28, 2009, 01:05 AM   #137
jgcoastie

I was fishing last year with my (then) 1 year old daughter in a backpack carrier. She was laughing and giggling and generally just being a 1 year old little girl, making a lot of noise because it amused her. An hour or so after we'd been there, an older man arrived and started fishing about 20 yards away from us (rude to begin with, there's plenty of river = no need to crowd). He was much bigger than I (I'm 6'2" 215lbs). After about 15mins he starts yelling at me to "Shut that little b***h up, she's scaring all the fish away!" I tried to deescalate by explaining that she's just a baby and he is more than welcome to move along a little ways or wait a few minutes and we'd be heading home. He got mad, started advancing toward me yelling "If you don't shut her up I WILL!" It's very rare to see this kind of behavior up here and I don't take kindly to people threatening my little girl... I was open carrying my Glock 20SF (10mm) on my left side, which he couldn't see, so I slowly turned to allow him the opportunity to see it and walk away. He looked, paused for a second and kept on coming. I then drew, aimed COM and used every bit of booming voice I had left in me, (I was scared s***less BTW) and yelled "STOP! STOP or I will shoot you!" (He was about 15-20ft away at this point) He stopped, thought for a second and ran back to his truck. Then I puked.

Several people heard and saw this commotion, there were a few people in the parking lot (about 50yds from where we were) and one of them grabbed a cellphone pic of the guy and his license plate as he was leaving. Alaska State Troopers were there in less than 5 mins and took several statements and questioned me extensively. They identified who he was, turns out he was an officer on base, new to the island. They contacted military police who contacted his command... Lots of meetings with lots of officers followed. Long story short, he was transferred.

I found out later that my fishing buddy that had gone back to the truck had seen all of this unfold as he was walking back and was positioning himself in relative position 2, gun drawn, just outside of my and the crazy guy's peripheral. The only issue we had when discussing it afterwards was that yes, he was out of my LOF, but also out of my sight. Could've ended badly if he had pulled the trigger, my focus (and muzzle) then would have been on him. We talked about it and corrected.
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.

Last edited by jgcoastie; August 28, 2009 at 01:12 AM.
Old August 28, 2009, 10:19 AM   #138
pax

jgcoastie,

That's a helluva story. Glad you and your daughter were okay -- a man wearing a babypack doesn't have a lot of mobility or a lot of options in a scuffle! :barf:

pax
Old August 30, 2009, 09:36 PM   #139
ESI Agent

I have drawn my weapon far more times than i can count. I work in the security industry and have used my firearm to control a number of situations and make arrest. Now i know their are many experts who will attack this because the stigma of the security guard type. Their are many levils of security from the night watchman to private operator.
Old August 31, 2009, 01:27 AM   #140
procopper7005

I draw my pistol every day at least once. I work a high risk fugitive task force and clear multiple houses, hotel rooms, apartments every day. Ive been shot once by a rifle at night from a distance of about 200 yards. (he gave up after the negotiator talked to him and went to jail)
Off duty Ive never had to draw my weapon, I carry concealed, and maintain a low profile, which is the best form of protection. If something ever kicks off I have the element of surprise if no one knows i'm armed or a cop which is why ive never understood someone open carrying other than uniformed cops/security. Open carry says "shoot me first, i'm armed!".
Old August 31, 2009, 08:00 AM   #141
skydiver3346

Had to pull my handgun?

Was walking on the beach one night (two years ago) when three dudes came up on us and then walked on by. I turned around and they were coming back to me again. I immediately asked my wife to get off to the side of me and don't say anything to them. The first guy to me, asked me to "loan" him some money as he was broke and was hungry. The other two just stood beside him and gave me some menacing looks. They had their hands in their pockets, etc.

I was really scared down deep but did not show my fear to them. I asked them in a very loud and serious tone of voice to leave us alone and that this would be my last warning to them. He had the stones to demand money from me again (but not in a robbery way, just that he needed $$)... The other two dudes began to move around to my sides.
At this point, I backed away and pulled my S&W Mod. 60 out and held it down by my side. Told him to leave again or there was going to be serious consequences if they approached me again. My wife was freaking out and began to cry. This really ticked me off that they would do this us. I then sort of lost my fear and it turned to extreme anger. I knew this was dangerous and so I yelled at them to get the hell out of here immediately. They knew I wasn't kidding and so they did leave while cussing me out down the beach.
I kept my gun in my jacket pocket the whole way back to my car in case they were lying in wait for me on the way back (it was very dark and I didn't have a flashlight). Never saw them again and I was relieved to say the least. Looking back on this, I probably would have shot the first guy who approached me after my last warning to stay away. I decided that I was going back to my family and was not going to allow these dirt bags to scare me and especially my wife anymore. Luckily, it didn't have to come to that.
Next time I walked the beaches at night, I carried my Surefire light with me as well as my .38 special with +P's.
Old August 31, 2009, 06:39 PM   #142
357 Python

Many years ago I operated an armed mobile security patrol service when I had to draw my duty weapon. I discovered a break in at a client's location with the suspects still there. One suspect ran but the other came out the door I was standing near. He came out while I was on our radio telephone with the local police. When he came out the door suddenly I drew my 4" S&W 686 so quickly and hard my elbow hurt for three days. The guy was about 19-22 years old and his hair started turning color right before my eyes. The police were advised that I had one suspect in custody. I had 4 city police units there with in 2 minutes. I waited for the city officers to handcuff the suspect since I was working alone. Just about six months later I had to arrest two other burglary suspects at the same location. In Virginia registered armed security officers are allowed to make arrests for offenses that occur in their presence.
Old August 31, 2009, 06:50 PM   #143
orionengnr

Not yet, thanks be to God.
Old August 31, 2009, 07:22 PM   #144
koolminx

You folks live in some piece of chit neighborhoods... Check this out.

Lived in Chula Vista in the mid 90's for 3 years, Oxnard California for 3 years in the late 80's & early 90's, England (where there are no pistols, only shotguns and blunder busters), Glen Burnie Maryland in the mid 90's, Fairfield California for 3 years just recently moved from there an guess what? Never locked any of my doors or windows, sometimes I liven in an apartment complex sometimes I rented a home, never locked my cars and left the keys in them most of the time.

Never had a break in, and the only time I had a car stolen (most often the key's are on the dashboard) but this was the ONE TIME I locked the dang thing I locked it and put on the club and some damn Mexican's stole it! (I found a Worker Permit card that belonged to a migrant worker working on a valid permit) in the truck when we recovered it on Mexican mother's day at the local deputy sheriff's daughters house... In her damn OPEN GARAGE, but the police said that since I had no witnesses seeing this fella drive it in or in the vehicle they could do nothing...

That's the day my Genuine U.S. Springfield Model 03 30-06 serial # 1503158 was stolen... It was a sad day, but I've still never been in a situation requiring the flashing or pulling of my strictly SD weapon. (which I rarely ever carry anymore)... But that's just me... Dang I talk a lot... Sorry.
Old August 31, 2009, 08:23 PM   #145
orionengnr

Quote:
You pulled your gun because someone parked next to you?! Really?
You really need to read the post (post #125) before responding. He never showed it to the "suspect". No brandishing, just a suspicion and preparedness.

Reading is Fundamental.
Old August 31, 2009, 08:25 PM   #146
dondavis3

Only as a lawman.
Old September 21, 2009, 08:14 PM   #147
Hedge313

1991 - just got my concealed permit. Back then, you had to be bonded, have your employer's sign a form stating that you needed one. I worked for a man that collected large sums of cash - he was an insurance agent. I was working my way through college. I guess these two thugs cased the place and knew when I went to the bank. It was in January, cold and dark at 6pm. I was locking up before making the night deposit. One guy was walking across the parking lot, but that was common and did not make me nervous. Once I locked the door, thug #2 came out from around side of building and now I was trapped. One between me and the car. The other between me and the office. I walked to the side so both were now in front of me. (best move i could have ever made)

Thug#2 pulled out a knife and said, "we want that bag". I reached under my coat, pulled the thumb latch on my shoulder holster. The streetlight shined off of my stainless Taurus 9mm. As soon as they saw it, thug #1 said, "cool", and they walked away. I thought I was going to die that day. I did not shake at all during the event, but damn near ****** all over myself afterwards. I do not think I got any sleep that night, and had that gun right by me all night.

The next day there was a single bullet hole over my office window. I guess they were letting me know that they had weapons also. I never saw them again. Thank God.
Old October 13, 2009, 08:43 AM   #148
Firepower!

It is always amuzing and alarming at the same time when a stranger wants you to loan him some money....justified reason to show him that you have only weapon and no money with you
Old October 13, 2009, 09:43 AM   #149
CorpITGuy

Just to be clear, it is brandishing if they aren't showing deadly force as well, in most states. If they just say, "hey, loan me some money", or "got some change?", pulling out a gun will cost you your permit, your gun and possibly your freedom.

Last edited by CorpITGuy; October 13, 2009 at 09:50 AM.
Old October 16, 2009, 11:03 AM   #150
kiov

I drew my .45 upon hearing someone enter my house without knocking or calling out.

I didn't shoot because it turned out to be my 85 yr old step father who is starting to forget things and wanders around the neighborhood sometimes.

Yes, I was ready to shoot. I think drawing was the right action, but I don't feel bad that I didn't kill him. Quite the opposite.

Tags
self defense