The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 23, 2019, 11:25 PM   #1
Doc Holliday 1950

The King has arrived

Several weeks ago I was at my local GS & the owner showed me a package that had just arrived. It was the Colt King Cobra 3" in 357 magnum. I drooled & asked if I could hold it & he smiled & said sure. I have never in my life felt a revolver that seemed to merge & become part of my hand. The balance was incredible. He saw the look on my face & then gave me some snap caps so I could feel the action. The trigger pull, especially in DA, was the lighest I've ever pulled that hadn't been worked on. Colt did not forget how it got its reputation. This was truly The King. Then after I read Chaim bought one, well, it was game over for me. Even my wife was amazed when she held it. I told her we were getting one no if &'s or buts. I got no argument from her. I picked mine up today & as I was filling out the paper work people were coming over just to see it. I wanted to immediately go over to their range but decided to take it home so I could give it a very light cleaning & lube.
I traded in my 5 shot 22 mag derringer & a Ruger 8 shot 22 revolver & bought mine from Buds, who said they had 3 left. After I bought mine the other 2 were gone. So now I have a LCR 327 in magnum, a EAA Windicator 2" 357 in magnum, a Glock 19 gen 4, and a 1978 4" Python & now The King Cobra 3". I finally understand why most of you out there are always looking for that one special gun. Now I have 2. Sorry to go on about this Colt but it's hard to explain the shear joy & pleasure I got holding it & knowing that it's mine.
I still can't figure out how to upload pics so I'll send them to one of my friends & ask them to post the pics for me.
I'm going back to my range after the holiday & see how it performs. I'll use 38 special P+135 grain Gold Dot ammo & also some 125 grain Hornady Critical Defense ammo.

Doc
Old May 24, 2019, 12:39 AM   #2
Dan-O

If the trigger pull is that light in da you may want to get it looked at...������.

They sure look nice.
Old May 24, 2019, 06:20 AM   #3
Lohman446

I see one of these in my future after the initial buzz and buzz pricing wears off a little
Old May 24, 2019, 09:59 AM   #4
Nanuk

Quote:
If the trigger pull is that light in da you may want to get it looked at...������.
Colt reshaped the trigger so the shooter applies more leverage to the trigger, making it "feel" lighter. I have a 686 no dash with tens of thousands of rounds... You would not believe the trigger.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old May 24, 2019, 03:19 PM   #5
Bob Wright

Doc Holliday 1950 saith:
Quote:
Several weeks ago I was at my local GS & the owner showed me a package that had just arrived. ........................................... I drooled & asked if I could hold it & he smiled & said sure. I have never in my life felt a revolver that seemed to merge & become part of my hand. The balance was incredible.

Sir, you have just described a Colt Single Action Army.

Bob Wright
Old May 24, 2019, 10:06 PM   #6
KyJim

Congrats on the new revolver. I'm picking one up for myself tomorrow. I'm excited!
Old May 24, 2019, 11:09 PM   #7
Doc Holliday 1950

Bob,
I’m just happy Colt decided to get
back into making great guns again
Thanks for the info.

Doc
Old May 25, 2019, 05:01 AM   #8
chaim

Congrats...

I can't wait to pick mine up. I got the email from the state police the other day that I was "not disapproved" (means the waiting period is over and I passed the state background check) but since the movers come tomorrow I've been busy getting packed and I won't be picking it up until Monday or Tuesday. I'm guessing you'll get to shoot yours before I shoot mine.

We'll have to compare notes
Old May 25, 2019, 09:14 AM   #9
KyJim

Just got back from the gun store with my new King Cobra. I'm going to do a full review down the road, but let's just say I wasn't disappointed when I opened the box or when I pulled the trigger.
Old May 27, 2019, 11:06 AM   #10
Rock Hammer

Doc......good for you , you and your wife enjoy it and be sure to post us all a picture of a 25 yd target so we can see what a wonderful shot you are with it , we will settle for a 10 yd if need be .........God bless and enjoy your new Colt....
Old May 27, 2019, 02:58 PM   #11
Kreyzhorse

Congratulations.

I picked up a New Cobra and I was damn impressed.

Hope you enjoy your King as much as I enjoy my Cobra.
Old May 27, 2019, 04:30 PM   #12
shurshot

Congratulations! I look forward to the pics. Just spotted the Colt KC ad in an NRA mag ad last week. Looks like it will be a sweet shooter.
Old May 28, 2019, 06:04 PM   #13
rodfac

Congrats, Doc...a pic would be nice if you can get it uploaded. Let us know on the accuracy....as Whelen once said, "only accurate guns are interesting"... Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old May 28, 2019, 07:37 PM   #14
dgludwig

I have many revolvers but the reason I now own a Colt King Cobra is simply for the exquisite da trigger pull; one that my wife fell in love with. Too, the 3" barrel and (easily replaceable) brass bead front sight were "icing on the cake" enticements. This is my wife's self-defense gun that will pretty much stay in her vehicle in a locked and hidden safe, cabled to the vehicle's "intra-structure".

I might have to eventually get one for myself.
Old May 30, 2019, 03:56 PM   #15
HighValleyRanch

Amazing, but the Colt Cobra and King Cobra have just been added to the California approved handgun list! Now I am interested!
Old May 30, 2019, 04:18 PM   #16
dgludwig

HighValleyRanch, given your enthusiasm for the Kimber revolver, I'd be very interested in your opinion regarding the merits/downsides of the Kimber vs the same for the Colt revolver, should you ever decide to get one.
Old May 30, 2019, 05:06 PM   #17
HighValleyRanch

Sure will. What is the grip frame look like? Is like the old Colts, or a tang? Given that the stock grips are rubber wrap around, makes me wonder if they thinned it down some.

The Kimber is more modern looking than another of my other collection. Even the LCRX looks more traditional.

anyways, I am happy to see any guns added to the list! Funny though, I can purchase a stainless Kimber K6, but not the black Deep Cover one. Same exact gun, but different finish and so it's not approved yet!
Old May 31, 2019, 01:34 PM   #18
dgludwig

I don't know how you good folks in California can stand it; your stupid, Draconian gun laws would drive me to a rubber room where I couldn't hurt myself. I do appreciate your well-written takes and opinions about your experiences with various firearms, HighValleyRanch.
You gotta buy more guns to give more reviews!
Old May 31, 2019, 03:58 PM   #19
HighValleyRanch

Thanks, I'm going to show this to my wife to prove that I need more guns!
Old June 1, 2019, 09:54 PM   #20
Doc Holliday 1950

I will most definitely get pics of my King in action . Probably have to ask High Valley or Rodfac to help me post the pics. When we were at our range, I gave the King to my wife with a Hornady 125 grain 357 in magnum ammo loaded & she hit dead center with her first shot. She then put it down. I was not surprised that she's a very good shooter. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the new Colt is one of the finest revolvers that I've ever fired. The pics will be posted by Weds. I hope.

Doc
Old October 22, 2019, 04:01 PM   #21
Jayhawkhuntclub

Is it Wednesday yet?
Old October 22, 2019, 06:16 PM   #22
shurshot

Yeah, I'm still waiting for the pics!?? We want to see the new Colt!!!
Old October 22, 2019, 06:42 PM   #23
mk70ss

Pics or it didn’t happen
Old October 23, 2019, 07:30 AM   #24
Carmady

The King has left the building.