The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 17, 2019, 10:00 AM   #51
cw308

Back in the days I think , people that reloaded were into precision target shooting . Now with the AR's alot like to throw alot of lead down range , cost savings or just a good day at the range . I enjoy benchrest shooting , I shoot 30 rounds per range trip and even only shooting 30 rounds I wouldn't think of cleaning up the case necks with a file , maybe if that was the only way back then . Using a turret press brought this up . I would think sizing and trimming would be on a single stage then go from there . Only used a single stage so I guess I not the one to give advice .
Old June 17, 2019, 11:12 AM   #52
F. Guffey

Quote:
Back in the days I think , people that reloaded were into precision target shooting . Now with the AR's alot like to throw alot of lead down range , cost savings or just a good day at the range . I enjoy benchrest shooting , I shoot 30 rounds per range trip and even only shooting 30 rounds I wouldn't think of cleaning up the case necks with a file , maybe if that was the only way back then . Using a turret press brought this up . I would think sizing and trimming would be on a single stage then go from there . Only used a single stage so I guess I not the one to give advice .
Trimming with a trim die and file can not be new information for anyone that has been on this forum for a year. And then there are those that choose to ignore good information. When forming cases there are times trimming requires 36" of trimming for 100 cases; add that to the time saved when forming 400 cases. That would be 144" of trimming,

Back to the aircraft counter sink. You have no interest in the hack saw and file so I will assume you have no interest in the counter sink method and or technique. I doubt another member has the ability to enlighten you or anyone else; but if it is the flat rate thing with time in motion the step sequence of trimming with a counter sink , forgive, I know I am wasting my time.

F. Guffey
Old June 17, 2019, 12:20 PM   #53
cw308

Guff
My world in reloading is a small one , mostly 308 and 45acp . I never created a caliber from another , going that route I can see using different equipment , So I'm sorry for thinking so small . When I'm wrong I'll admit it . I enjoy reloading , I'm just a one gun guy , been shooting the same rifle since 02 and don't even have the itch to shoot another . I would like to see a trim die and file in action. Forming your own case for a odd caliber is an accomplishment . Again Sorry F. Guffey for thinking so small .

Chris
Old June 17, 2019, 11:34 PM   #54
hdwhit

Quote:
LukeB asked:
...where in your process do you trim your rifle casings?
Trimming is always done after resizing since it is generally the friction inherent in the resizing operation that draws cases to a longer length which is a contributor to what necessitates trimming.
Old Yesterday, 09:13 AM   #55
F. Guffey

Quote:
Trimming is always done after resizing since it is generally the friction inherent in the resizing operation that draws cases to a longer length which is a contributor to what necessitates trimming.
I could ask how 'it is' the shoulder gets moved back whole the brass moves. migrates, flows toward the neck end of the case when reloaders insist the flow is in the opposite direction; reloaders insist they move the shoulder back and when making tiny adjustments to the length of the case from the shoulder to the case head they insist they can 'bump' the shoulder back.

Again, I insist it is impossible to move the shoulder back with a die that has case body support.

As to the other part: As in trimming is always done after sizing; I have given at least three examples that prove that is not true.

F. Guffey
Old Yesterday, 11:27 AM   #56
totaldla

Back before I started neck-sizing 30-30, I would trim after FL-resizing. Seems like 30-30 was super stretchy.