The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old December 22, 2018, 12:25 PM   #1
Bartholomew Roberts

Dancing FBI Agent Pleads Guilty to Second Degree Assault

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/12/2...pleads-guilty/

He was sentenced to two years probation, a $1,200 fine, and will pay restitution to his victim, who he permanently injured.

In the original discussion, (https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=596053), there was some speculation as to what the agent’s fate would be so I figured some might be interested to hear.
Old December 22, 2018, 01:27 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

He lose his job? Guy pleads guilty to a misdemeanor but gets to keep his job as a Federal copper smacks of favouritism to me.
https://www.colorado-criminal-lawyer...s/assault.html
Old December 22, 2018, 01:59 PM   #3
MarkCO

His employment was terminated a while ago.
Old December 22, 2018, 02:45 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

Good. That doesn't happen up here. Cop Sgt., up here, was recently convicted of assault got slapped on the wrist(suspended with pay and kept his $125 grand per annum job.
One Toronto cop was on Suspended with Pay for 11 years.
Old December 23, 2018, 07:56 AM   #5
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir View Post
He lose his job? Guy pleads guilty to a misdemeanor but gets to keep his job as a Federal copper smacks of favouritism to me.
https://www.colorado-criminal-lawyer...s/assault.html
'Former' FBI agent..stupid in public..Show he needed a better holster too..I wonder if he was 'mexican carry' this thing..Just binged Narcos..those gigantic 1911s stuffed in the waist bands of their 'slacks'...yikes.

Just watched the video..yup, holster..but poor one..

"Tools not Trophies”
Old December 23, 2018, 02:41 PM   #6
HiBC

This is circumstantial,but he was in a whiskey bar after midnight when his dancing behavior became "uninhibited".To the best of my knowledge a toxicology report was never released.

Unless he was involved in some undercover operation,I'd think an armed,off duty LEO would be low key,and NOT try to be the center of attention with unusual behavior.
I do not have evidence,so this is hypothetical.IF he exceeded the blood/alchohol of an impaired(not drunk) driver, which is .05 BAC in Colorado,its a legal problem to be armed.I would at least lose my carry permit.

If he drove away,whether prosecuted or not,its a problem.

He was using a holster. It was at posterior cleavage 6 oclock,,grip pointed to the right,right handed. The holster had little/no retention,and the gun fell out when he did a standing flip on the dance floor.

Its important,IMO,that the gun did not fire from being dropped.

Up till that point,no one was hurt,there was no immediate danger. The agent was embarrassed and he quickly grabbed the gun off the floor with his finger on the trigger and the thumb behind the backstrap.

(Per the media,The FBI is the "Cream" of the LEO's,all LEO's are "Trained firearms experts" and we mere mortal civilian bimbos are more likely to shoot ourselves or someone else if we are armed)

So,predictably,pressing the trigger fired the gun. An innocent person was shot.

Our Agent did a jazz hands thing over his head and left,without even a gesture of concern or aid for the man he shot,and without sticking around for a police investigation.

The FBI as an org was facing issues with its rep at top management level.

My opinion is just an opinion.Not worth much.IMO,this outcome was maybe more about damage control,and the FBI reputation than justice.
But,what can you do?You can't un-shoot the guy.

Thing is,I think the agent should be held to the exact same standards anyone else would be held to. If I did that,I believe it would be more harsh,particularly if my toxicology report was bad...and the way folks are guilty till proven innocent these days,my headline would be " Armed Drunk concealed carry dance exhibitionist accidently shoots patron in popular Denver whiskey bar then flees"....When will the gun madness stop? (end headline)
Old December 23, 2018, 02:54 PM   #7
Glenn E. Meyer

Not really a tactics issue unless how to do back flips and picking up your gun is part of your training.

Thus, closed.