The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 20, 2010, 09:29 AM   #1
abs

help: can't assemble new o/u (cynergy)

Not sure if I connect receiver with barrels in a wrong way or don't lube enough.
I have Hoppe's 9 lubricating oil and break-free. What's the best for greasing the hinges? Thanks!
Old March 20, 2010, 10:47 AM   #2
Ricklin

Quality grease

Use a good quality grease on the hinge pins, and on the hinge pin sockets where the pins fit in to the receiver.
Also a good film of grease on the metal portion of the forend where it contacts the receiver.

Is this not called out in the owners manual?
Old March 20, 2010, 11:13 AM   #3
RoscoeC

Ooops, Cynergy's don't have hinge pins. I had a little difficulty with it at first too. Grasp the barrels in the left hand (if right handed), with the vent rib under your knuckles. Grasp the action around the neck of the stock just behind the trigger guard. Place the arc of the receiver against the arc in the barrel block and slide the action upward while moving the barrels in the opposite direction. There will be some resistance as you compress the springs.

Hoppes is a cleaner and does little if anything toward lubrication. I use Mobile 1 synthetic grease available at your local car parts house. You may opt for some of the exotic and correspondingly expensive dedicated products, but I find the Mobile 1 to be quite adequate. It does not have Unicorn's earwax or other exotic ingredients, but it works well.

I wipe the receiver clean of the old grease after each range session, and apply new grease with a disposable flux brush.

I'm right there with Ricklin, RTFM (read that fine manual).
NRA Life Member
Old March 20, 2010, 11:59 AM   #4
zippy13

Grease is preferred over oil. Here's an extract from the Browning Owners Manual:

Old March 20, 2010, 12:16 PM   #5
abs

Thanks everyone, particularly Zippy: your pictures from manual have a better quality than my manual's ones...
Old March 20, 2010, 03:28 PM   #6
olddrum1

Whats the old saying "When all else fails, read the owners manual"?