The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 26, 2009, 11:04 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

shotgun bead help needed...

I reciently purchased an old "folding" 12 gauge single shot, I plan on fixing it up as a truck gun, maybe keeping an elastic shell holder with a couple shot size shells & a couple slugs on the stock... this guns primary function won't be SHTF use, but more like a collapse able fishing pole, so I can keep it in the truck, & if the unexpected chance to hunt comes along, I'll have it with me... SHTF use could also be a possibility, but not at all it's primary use... as part of my refinishing & customizing, I'll be trimming off 4" of the barrel, so it folds into a smaller package, ( besides the 1st 4" of the muzzle is in poor condition anyways ) I may add replaceable choke tubes to add to it's versatility, but am looking for the most versitile bead or sighting system for those various uses...

I'm not as familiar with shotguns as I am with rifles & handguns, so I could use some help... I've seen beads in silver, gold, & Ivory colors, as well as fiber optic in both green & red, as well as tritium beads...

what are your opinions as to the most versitile, & what advantages does it have over the others ???

my 1st thoughts are to go with the brighter green fiber optic beads, seems like one of the most functional, with exception to very dark SHTF seceneros, but again, I'm likely to want to use it on Pheasants or Ducks, or Deer, before I'd need it in the dark...

your thoughts ????

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; October 26, 2009 at 11:12 AM.
Old October 26, 2009, 12:25 PM   #2
BigJimP

For "wing shooting" or for "clay birds" - beads on a gun are irrelevant. The only reason the beads are there - is to make sure you mount the gun properly / so its not canted one way or the other or too high or too low in your shoulder. After that - you only look at the bird ( never at the beads ) ......your feel the lead / pull the trigger / follow thru ( never, ever, looking back at your barrel ) ..... or you will stop your swing / and its probably a lost bird.

In terms of colors of beads / I like a gold or fibre optic dot in front (Like Hi-Viz) - and a white mid rib bead.

Deer hunting is different / then in effect its like a rifle - so you might need sights .... don't know / I hunt deer with a high powered rifle.
Old October 26, 2009, 08:49 PM   #3
Lee Lapin

And the barrel on this thng is ... how long, right now??? You don't want its final length to be less than 18" measured inside the bore from muzzle to breech face, and a fraction of an inch longer is cheap insurance. That's assuming there are no state/local restrictions on shotgun barrel length in your jurisdiction also- the 18" limit is federal.

Just being sure...

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old October 26, 2009, 09:57 PM   #4
olddrum1

For a truck gun, you need a brass bead. Any thing else and it probably have to be replaced many times. Basically you need it because its your front reference point for mounting, lead, and swing.
Old October 27, 2009, 06:41 AM   #5
Magnum Wheel Man

thanks for the replys...

the barrel is like 26" right now, so it won't be anywheres close to "too short"

I was thinking a nice padded case, so the bead should be ok no matter what I choose ( still leaning towards the green fiber optic ) ... I thought about adding a rear sight, if I do, it'll likely be a ghost ring or similar, but want to see how the slugs shoot out of it with the choke end of the barrel trimmed off, before I accept that it could be an impromtu deer gun... kinda suprised the tactical croud hasn't come out yet & suggested the tritium sights ???

I have no eye deer of the age of this gun, but it's an H&R single shot 12 ga that is "tiger striped" color case hardened... I've seen plenty of .410's in folding, & a couple in 20 ga, but this is the 1st 12 ga I've seen, & it also says "folding"on the side in large letters ( both my local experts have never seen one that actually said "folding" in big letters on the reciever like this one does )... hopefully it's new enough it can safely shoot slugs ???

this is what it looked like before I started on it... the 1st 3-4" of the barrel is pretty crappy, so I'm going to trim it even with the butt stock...

( the stock needed some work, the mounting screw was buggered up, but that part will be fixed with a couple machined pieces of steel & some glass beddin today )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Folding shotgun.jpg (11.8 KB, 3406 views)

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; October 27, 2009 at 06:49 AM.