The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 3, 2002, 11:30 AM   #1
gbelleh

Tip-up barrel .380 pistols?

I'm looking for the most powerful (at least .380), highest capacity (more than 10 rounds) pistol I can find that has a tip-up barrel.
So far the only gun I've found in this category is the Beretta 86.
Does anyone know of any other guns I might be overlooking?
Are there any tip-up barrel guns more powerful than .380? Maybe a 9x18?
Thanks
Old April 3, 2002, 11:46 AM   #2
Kermit

I saw a Beretta 380 w/ tip up barrel...mod 86 I think. BIG for a 380, but COOL!
Old April 3, 2002, 03:13 PM   #3
Erich

I think that's it.

I sure can't recall seeing any tip-up bbl pistols meaner than that .380 Beretta.
Old April 3, 2002, 03:23 PM   #4
9mmepiphany

there is also the beretta 85 if you want somthing slimmer...it has a single stack mag
Old April 4, 2002, 08:21 AM   #5
Eric Larsen

There are a couple of good .380's but the tip up barrel is the limiting factor...the Beretta is the only one I know of. If you can live with the "normal" barrel...there is no better gun than the CZ 83...I have owned and shot ALOT of the .380's...Sigs, Brownings etc...the CZ is worth a SERIOUS look.....Shoot well

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice......Rush
Old April 4, 2002, 11:39 AM   #6
gbelleh

Thanks for the replies.
The reason for wanting the tip-up barrel is...I'm trying to find the perfect home defense gun for my girlfriend. She has a lot of trouble pulling the slide back on most semi-autos. A tip-up barrel would be perfect for her until she can get used to racking slides. She does fine with everything else, manipulating safeties, mag release, slide release etc., and her accuracy is excellent. She just doesn't have the finger strength to grip the slide firmly enough to pull the slide all the way back. (She can do it after struggling and contorting her arms etc.) Not a good thing to not be able to do in a self defense situation.

I know... she should get a revolver. That's the other option, but she wants a semi-auto, and I'd like her to have something with a lot of rounds ready to go.

If not a tip-up barrel, then she needs a slide that is super easy to rack. None of my guns fit that description.
Old April 6, 2002, 12:36 AM   #7
johnwill

If she's adept at handling a gun, except for the slide problem, consider a Colt Mustang. They're still commonly available used, and they have a softer spring than blowback pistols, being a locked breech. The slide moves almost too easily!
Old April 6, 2002, 09:24 AM   #8
Eric Larsen

Consider taking her to a gun store and see if she can rack the slide on certain guns...she may surprise you. My 8 year old 60lb son uses my CZ 83 and does everything....its a blowback design.
Another option is keep one in the chamber for her, after the magazine is empty..replace the mag and let the slide lock go...she may be able to do this? Just another option......
Shoot well

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice......Rush
Old April 6, 2002, 09:50 AM   #9
nine fingers

If racking the slide is a problem you must take her to the store to try the gun first. Also, try having her push with the grip hand while pulling the slide with the weak hand. BTW my .380 Beretta's slide is harder to rack than my CZ75 compact.
Old April 6, 2002, 09:05 PM   #10
gbelleh

Thanks for the input.
We tried several guns last week at a local shop. There were a couple pistols that were manageable for her, but not easy.
We didn't try a Mustang, maybe I'll see if I can find one in my area to try.
Any other semi-autos known for their slides being super easy to rack? She doesn't want to go bigger than a 9mm.
Thanks
Old April 6, 2002, 09:31 PM   #11
Jody Hudson

Two other good reasons to go with the hi-cap Beretta .380s for her... The wider grip will reduce felt recoil while giving larger capacity. The .380 can be purchased in Triton QuikShok which is an AWEsome round for defense.

Also, the Beretta .380s are notoriously accurate from what I understand.
Old April 6, 2002, 09:40 PM   #12
James K
Member In Memoriam

Actually, yes. The Jo-Lo-Ar was made in 9mm Largo. Tip up barrel, no trigger guard. Not exactly found in every dealer showcase, though.

Jim
Old April 7, 2002, 05:20 PM   #13
bad_dad_brad

Tip up barrels are only feasible for blow back pistols. .380 and calibers smaller. The tip up barrel is great for the reasons gbelleh mentions - easier for some women to operate. I recommend them to women who want a semi-automatic but have weak upper bodies and can't rack the slide consistently. The Beretta is a great choice. Taurus mimics their designs also, but I think the Beretta is better made (more expensive too).

I remember a young couple at my dealer's shop discussing a handgun. The young lady did not want a revolver simply because she did not like their looks. She had small hands and for whatever reason the dealer stuck an M1911 in her hands after sort of showing her how to rack the slide. Well she gave it try, got it about half way back and it slipped out of her hand, breaking a nail! Ouch! She was very upset.

I went to their rescue and showed them the .380 Berreta Cheetah and explained the tip up barrell. As far as I know, I think they bought it.
Old April 7, 2002, 06:03 PM   #14
Johnny Quest

Just about the coolest .380/9mm short is the SIG P232. No tip-up barrel, but helluva shooter. I owned the Beretta Tomcat but I did not like it, so I bought the P232. Good decision on my part.

JQ
Old April 8, 2002, 02:40 PM   #15
Watch-Six

Beretta and Browning had a close arrangement. Some tip up 380s that are nearly identical to the Beretta were sold with the Browning name. Both are good pistols. Watch-Six