The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old September 1, 1999, 08:58 PM   #1
mattfra

I was at a gunshop in Charlotte, NC and they had a used what I believe was a TZ-75. It said Tanfoglio on it, but I didn't see EAA's name or Witness anywhere on it. The frame was hardchrome and the slide was blued. It had the IPSC logo stamped on the slide and frame.
The slide(and barrel) had four small round ports near the muzzle. The pistol was chambered in 9mm but also came with a .41AE barrel (I know that's a rare caliber: .41Action Express). It had beautiful walnut grips, and a large mag eject button. Overall condition was good and tight, good trigger (I did not look down the barrel) cosmetically was probably 90-95% The shop had $499 on it. Any ideas of worth?
Old September 2, 1999, 08:12 AM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

According to my records, your description and If it is a TZ75 thr Values are as follows

EXC=$400.00 Poor=$200.00

HJN
Old September 5, 1999, 08:00 PM   #3
Jeff OTMG

I see it as an FIE TZ-75 Series 88 pistol, ported, in IPSC configuration. EAA took over importation of the from FIE and Excam after FIE went out of business around 1991. The IPSC configuration was a no charge option on the pistol. I did not realize that the IPSC option was available on the combo, ported, or compensated version, though there is no reason why it would not have been. In 90%-95% condition the combo and ported guns RETAIL at $439-$475 where a standard IPSC would be $300-$330. My guess at this pistol would then be from $475-$525, using the value of a ported and adding the value of the extra barrel. Keep in mind that the extra barrel was probably purchased separately and was going to be used to be able to make major for competition. The value of a .41 AE barrel today is minimal since the introduction of the .40 S&W with indentical ballistics. Should you purchase the pistol it would not be a good idea to use the .41 AE extensively. The TZ design was never intended to be used as a major caliber weapon. If you don't believe me just ask Les Baer. He ran into this problem with the Springfield Armory version of this pistol, the P9, when he headed the custom shop for them. The guns would not last over 8,000 rounds no matter what he did. Check this pistol .41 AE barrel to see if it has been used much, if so check the frame and the locking lugs on the inside of the slide carefully for damage. The prices I have given are retail, wholesale would be not over $300 for the pistol. EAA pistols are not expensive, check to see what you can buy a brand new EAA gun for before plunking down money on this used one.