The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 24, 2011, 05:42 PM   #51
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
I would not want to be wearing anything that compromised my ability to hear if I was in a self-defense situation where the threat hasn't yet been identified and dealt with.
Yes. Fortunately, for the (probably rare) situations where there is enough time to don hearing protection in a home defense encounter, one can use good quality electronic hearing protection which not only leaves one's hearing uncompromised it can actually improve one's hearing. And it would leave one able to hear after the first shots are fired.

Obviously there won't always be time for something like that, but I figure it doesn't hurt to have the option available. I've always thought that if time was critical I'd never even remember that the hearing protection was there. I'll probably be lucky if I can remember the GUN is there.
Old April 24, 2011, 05:47 PM   #52
MLeake

Buy some dogs and some good locks and door-frames, and you effectively buy some time.
Old April 24, 2011, 06:30 PM   #53
2edgesword

"Again, they make hearing protection that does NOT null out normal sound levels. It kicks in with active noise reduction against loud noises. That's what I'm recommending. No loss of situational awareness, and you don't go deaf after the first shot. With the caveat that you have time to put it on, and turn it on, of course."

Yes, there is hearing protection available that doesn't compromise the wearers ability to hear ambient noise and my concerns with those would be the caveats you mentioned in addition to Murphy's law.
Old April 24, 2011, 06:37 PM   #54
MLeake

2edgesword, it's better to have them and possibly have the time to employ them, than not have them and have no option to do so regardless of heads-up time. At least, I think so.

As noted earlier, I have a three-alarm system:

If noise in general isn't enough deterrent, the 50lb and 60lb dogs are both big enough to do damage, and have very attention-getting barks (deep and loud). In any case, they bark if anything happens near the house. That should normally be good for at least several seconds heads-up time, and usually more like 30 seconds or more (based on delivery guys, visitors, etc).
Old April 24, 2011, 06:41 PM   #55
Nnobby45

Quote:
Does anyone shoot, at least once or twice without ear protection to guage your reaction to an unmuffled gunshot in close proximity?
NO, we do not.

Unmuffled gunshots in close proximity have already been guaged in actual shootings where auditory exclusion seems to be the common result. We don't hear the gunshots. However, according to my audiologist, the likelyhood of hearing damage does not lessen even if we don't hear the gunshots.

Quote:
Yes. Fortunately, for the (probably rare) situations where there is enough time to don hearing protection in a home defense encounter, one can use good quality electronic hearing protection which not only leaves one's hearing uncompromised it can actually improve one's hearing. And it would leave one able to hear after the first shots are fired.
I have a set of Peltors in my bedroom. They're old and sound a bit tinny but their amplification is excellent. I can hear a flatuated mouse at 8 yds.

I recently rebuilt the pads from a kit you can order. My newer ones aren't as amplified, but sound better.

If the situation allows me to get to them, nobody can make a move in my house, or fiddle with a door without me hearing them. The value of the electronic muffs go beyond just protecting your ears. Especially for an 'ol geezer like me whose hearing isn't what it used to be.

Last edited by Nnobby45; April 24, 2011 at 06:55 PM.
Old April 24, 2011, 09:57 PM   #56
2edgesword

Based on the recommendations I'm going to have to check out the electronic hearing protection. As MLeake said, I'm all for having it and at least having the option to use it if the opportunity is available.
Old April 24, 2011, 10:55 PM   #57
Nnobby45

Quote:
Based on the recommendations I'm going to have to check out the electronic hearing protection. As MLeake said, I'm all for having it and at least having the option to use it if the opportunity is available.

It's not just about home protection. If you take a shooting course, you'll need to hear the instructor, and it's a good idea to be able to hear what's going on no matter where you're shooting.

Electronic muffs are state of the art.