The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 8, 2007, 06:41 PM   #1
khest

45LC ammo questions

I was looking maybe getting in to CAS, maybe not. LOL Well I do intend to buy Colt SAA Clone in the .45LC. So far I have found locally in OKC its expensive at $35 or so. So two questions to ask. This will be the first gun purchase and I still learning about ammo.

1) I do not have the space or time for reloading, so what place online has cheapest ammo for you?

2) What brand should be purchased, I was warned by a local store today that cheaper ammo will be corrosive to the barrel.

Any help or push in a good direction would be appreciated.
Old October 8, 2007, 07:13 PM   #2
Hawg

If you're going to shoot CAS by SASS rules you need two revolvers, a pistol caliber lever action rifle and a CAS legal shotgun. You'll fire at least 100 rounds out of the pistols and rifle combined, 20 rounds per stage. Reloading is your best bet. If you order online you have to pay hazmat charges.
Old October 8, 2007, 07:16 PM   #3
Raider2000

Cheaper Than Dirt is a good place for some great deals in ammo prices.

As far as Cheaper ammo being bad, well unless you buy some really old surpluss stuff you should be fine in keeping you SAA pretty clean & nice..

have a peek at this..
Frontier 255gr. Lead Fp. @ CTD
Old October 8, 2007, 08:12 PM   #4
Arub

The referenced Cheaper Than Dirt ammo is roughly $14/box of 20 which equals roughly $35/50 rounds plus shipping - about the price khest ballparked the OKC local availability.

Price is roughly the same here in Lower Alabama. Loading your own has considerable payback if you already have some equipment and the space and time to do it - about a third or less of the price of store bought given multiple loadings of the brass.
Old October 8, 2007, 08:52 PM   #5
Shotgun Willy

OKC

Khest,
Try Sportsmans Warehouse on Memorial. I bought Black Hill ammo in 45LC for about $25/50, if I remember right. That's still not cheap but it's better than $35. I also noticed that the .38 CAS rounds were quite a bit cheaper if you might want to go that way. I'd thought about reloading and haven't given up on the idea, but I figure I won't use the R&D in my 1858 enough to really need to reload though. It's nice to have some around though.
Bill in Guthrie
Old October 8, 2007, 09:14 PM   #6
timothy75

I'd go 38 caliber and yes it is authentic.
Old October 8, 2007, 09:48 PM   #7
Hawg

.38 long and short Colt are authentic. .38 spcl. isn't but it is SASS legal.
Old October 9, 2007, 07:19 PM   #8
khest

Surplus store in OKC

I found the surplus store off of Sunnylane in OKC offers Magtech at $21.95 for 50 I think. Also they have 1000 rnds for $450ish that is JHP. Not sure if that is better, but its supposed to be a hotter load.

Khest
Old October 12, 2007, 03:26 PM   #9
TomsFAL

Hi Khest
I sent a E-Mail
Old October 12, 2007, 03:36 PM   #10
Musketeer

I got a good deal on Miwall when I started shooting 45Colt. Reloading does not take that much space. My LeePro1000 is bolted to a rolling microwave cart. It has doors on the bottom which I attached a lock to and keep all my supplies in. Roll it out of the corner, take off the coverring sheet and rock and roll.

For CAS shooting you are going to go broke shooting 45 and not reloading. Look into 38s...

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin
Old October 16, 2007, 02:38 AM   #11
spurrit

The cheaper than dirt ammo is from American ammo. They run about $15/50 rounds, but you get quite the spread in velocity from round to round. Good enough accuracy for SASS. I'd suggest you get .357's. Decent .45 Colt ammo will START at 50 cents a round.

However, if you decide to try reloading, get an RCBS Rockchucker to start with. You can get started in reloading with used equipment for under $100. When you reload, your .45 ammo will only cost you about 11 cents a round. I only recommend Hornady or Redding dies. RCBS dies belong in the bottom of a posthole. Reloading actually takes very little space.
Old October 16, 2007, 06:13 AM   #12
sundance44s

SHHHHHHHHHHH don`t tell anyone reloading doesn`t take up much space !!
I just talked the wife into letting me use the spare bedroom for a reloading room ...told her it was just to humid in the shop most of the time . I sure am enjoying my reloading a lot more now , good AC /heat .. frig. not far away . Heck I even listen to music now while reloading . Not to mention all the neat stuff I hung on the walls ...lol Put a key lock on the door so the grandbabys can`t wonder in and get hurt while I`m gone ....life is grand .
Old October 16, 2007, 10:56 PM   #13
johnm1

45 LC ammo questions

My second reloading bench was in the closet of the second bedroom of a fairly small apartment. Bi-folding doors hid a small wood desk, approximately 4-'0", that I had drilled holes into mount the press into. Most of the equipment was stored in the two drawers that weren't blocked by the press. The rest was stored on the shelf above the desk. I had to bring a kitchen chair to sit on and actually mounted a task light on the back wall of the closet. It took up 1/2 of the closet but I used the other half as a closet. Ok I was a bachelor at the time, but it worked and saved boatloads of money.
Old October 16, 2007, 11:32 PM   #14
CraigC

My first reloading bench was built into a closet and about two feet long at most. Are you sure you can't free up an hour to load 100rds before a trip to the range???
Old October 22, 2007, 12:08 AM   #15
spurrit

With winter coming on, I bolted the Dillon to an end table, and parked it in front of my easy chair.

I guess I have no reason to complain; my garage has a TV, stereo, lighting, etc..
Old October 22, 2007, 10:50 AM   #16
grymster2007

45 Colt is one of the cartridges I want to load. Probably load both BP and smokeless. I don't have any of the equipment yet, but I'm hoping Santa brings me enough stuff to get started. I've only seen loading rooms on the tube and they're usually large, with lots of stuff. Hearing some of you talk about loading in a small closet is encouraging because even though I have a relatively large house, it is, by and large the domain of Mrs. Grymster. But it would be nice to load inside, rather than the garage or basement. We have a large closet (maybe 7 X 13) in the guest room. That might make for a nice, warm and comfy place to spend some winter evenings.
Old October 22, 2007, 11:17 AM   #17
sundance44s

Winter months are a good time to do some serious reloading , A nice warm place in the house is hard to beat ..
I heat my shop with diesel ..and at 3 bucks a gal ...would make my reloading expencive out there in the winter months ..then there is always the dampness in my shop too ..it would probally be a problem in a basement too.
Old October 22, 2007, 11:23 AM   #18
CraigC

I've seen those huge loading rooms too and still lust after them. I even recall one that doubled as a shooting house with A/C! Now that I'm in a new place with a basement, my loading bench is 14' long so I'm well on my way. I lived in Florida when I started handloading so doing it outside was justnot possible. With the heat and humidity the equipment and components would suffer. So this nice little spot in a closet worked just fine for several years. Here's a shot soon after I got started. Think I only had one set of dies at the time.