The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 30, 2020, 06:16 AM   #76
Bartholomew Roberts

There are general supply chain issues up and down all kinds of manufacturing. If you are essential; but the guy providing you copper or lead or chemicals isn’t, then you are out of luck. Or your supplier is open but their employees are out sick for two weeks. Or if you are obtaining your base supplies from a country with different shutdown rules, etc.

I think one of the issues driving the urge to reopen was it was just impossible to predict/track all the unintended consequences of selectively closing some businesses but not others.
Old July 30, 2020, 08:07 AM   #77
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Some posts have gone away.

Let me remind everyone that this is the General Discussion area. Politics is not allowed on this site in general, and certainly not in General Discussion. Please review the forum rules.
Jeepaholic
Old July 30, 2020, 12:50 PM   #78
5whiskey

In addition to ammo, almost any semi-auto pistol, and many other firearms... the latest run is CAP AND BALL REVOLVERS! I am not lying I have watched 1858 remingtons fall out of stock almost everywhere over the past week or so. What the heck, a run on cap and ball revolvers

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old July 30, 2020, 05:14 PM   #79
Hal

Quote:
I have watched 1858 remingtons fall out of stock almost everywhere over the past week or so. What the heck, a run on cap and ball revolvers
1858 Remington revolvers make a great base to convert a C&B to a .38 special with a drop in conversion.

No FFL is needed to buy them online and have them shipped right to your doorstep.
Same with the conversion unit.
Old July 31, 2020, 05:55 AM   #80
gaseousclay

My local big box sporting goods store had tons of shotgun ammo for sale but not many defense shotguns. There were many sporting shotguns available, which you could use for defense, but not very practical in some cases.
Old July 31, 2020, 03:32 PM   #81
5whiskey

Quote:
1858 Remington revolvers make a great base to convert a C&B to a .38 special with a drop in conversion.

No FFL is needed to buy them online and have them shipped right to your doorstep.
This is true... but I don’t know that inexperienced gun buyers will be familiar with this without doing a good bit of research. At any rate, I think it has spurred some gun people to make those purchases that they’ve been thinking about instead of waiting Out of concern of supply disruption. Even on firearms considered “safe” from panic buying. I’ve been deployed a year and thought I was safe to wait. Now that I’m nearly home and actually placing orders... boys it’s tough out there. And not just for ARs and concealable pistols. Even surplus is taking a hit some. CMP is running out of Garands, Enfield rifles have spiked in price, and C&B revolvers are hard to find good selections of in stock. Heck I saw a Yugo 24/47 go for $500 at auction a couple days ago! Those have always been easy to pick up for around 300, maybe a bit more for numbers matching. Thank goodness I ordered all of my reloading stuff in March!

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old July 31, 2020, 08:24 PM   #82
Onward Allusion

Quote:

These days with all sorts of info available on the web, I would not be surprise that some survivalist forum has that exact point advertised. Also with one of the largest felonious populations in the world, I would not fault them for wanting to protect themselves and theirs. Keep in mind, not all felons are of the violent variety who "know" which back alleys to get their guns.
Old July 31, 2020, 11:08 PM   #83
44 AMP
Staff

I would point out that while cap & ball revolvers are not considered firearms at the FEDERAL level, in some states they are firearms and subject to legal restrictions. Doing a cartridge conversion can turn them into firearms in some states as well.

Part of the exemption for BP guns (and certain antiques) is because they don't use "ammunition commonly available". Converting them to use commonly available ammo could nullify that. It depends on the specific laws that apply.
Old August 9, 2020, 04:38 PM   #84
BJung

My two cents

If you don't mind working with your hands, I'd suggest you take up reloading.
You will also have more accurate loads for your firearm. My first HP rifle was a scoped Lee Enfield. It shot 3/4" groups at 100 yards. It couldn't beat my buddies who had a tricked out Interams chambered for 7RM and shot cloverleafs with his reloads.

I'd suggest you just pickup brass everyone else leaves on the ground. Then buy primers. If you're a prepper, think of your tools as a way of pulling apart ammo for a gun you don't have to take the components, like the primers. If you picked up brass for guns you don't have, don't worry, buy a gun for them. That's what I did.

Buy primers, then buy blemished bullets in bulk. If you're cash poor still, start casting. This is what I do and it is cheap and easy. If you're rich, then go buy your ammo, by all means.

I tend to do this. I bought a lot of primers and am busy shooting test loads. When the shortage is over, I'll buy more primers and know what shoots best for my gun

With casting, you can cast air pellets too. Buy an air rifle like the .45cal AirTexan and you'll never run out of ammo.

If you can't afford the air rifle, how about archery. There ya go.

Still can't do it? Okay, how about golf?
Old August 10, 2020, 02:39 AM   #85
Ignition Override

Anxiety . Most of us understand supply vs. increased demand.

This is only a guess about why--with plenty of food in the stores and gasoline supplies--demand is still so high.

The obsession--for so much of the public--on the graphic tv videos (in "Portlandavostok" each night) has contributed quite a bit to their anxieties.

If the secondary anxiety about the chants to "defund the police (but-Not abolish)" isn't the Next strongest motivator now to buy ammo, then a trailing factor might be the people who can't find 9mm or (i.e.) .40 ammo for a new gun which has zero ammo for practice.

Add some flippers who in the past were the first people into the stores and had apps to show them when Ammo Deliveries were planned for Walmarts.
They might still use the same apps------

My foamy shin protectors were ordered weeks ago for Krav Maga classes (began this at age 64 ), and even These are way behind in the supply chains.

Last edited by Ignition Override; August 10, 2020 at 11:31 PM.
Old August 10, 2020, 10:26 PM   #86
rmh3481

Does Greed have a hand in this?

Im watching guys listing 9mm and 5.56 on Gunbroker for 50 and 60 cents per round, and they are getting more than that for it. Federal 5.56 M193, in strippers, in cans, that sold for around $120 two years ago are now selling for $300+ today. The bets are coming in, will we hit $1 a round? I just read a thread 10 minutes ago where these guys are not only trying to outdo one another, they are bragging to one another how many cases they've sold and what they are going to buy with their profits? They claim they are not twisting anyone's arm, or forcing anyone to buy...which I understand. This is classic supply and demand - during a panic. Your a sucker if you dont take advantage?

Others are posting pics of 20-30 thousand small rifle primers that they are hording? Not just one pound jugs of powder, we have to have the 8 and 16 pound kegs...

Federal went out of their way to start selling ammo straight off their website, for half of what its selling for on gun broker... These profiteers are buying from Federal and turning around and putting it up on gunbroker for double. Again, I get it. Supply and Demand.

Maybe this is nothing new and Distributors do this all the time. That is what Im hearing?

I just would not buy anything right now unless you absolutely have to have it? Go to your local gun store and buy your ammo there. Dont try to buy it online if you dont have to.

Are you guys seeing this, or is it just me?
Old August 10, 2020, 11:35 PM   #87
Ignition Override

The same types of "ammo flippers" now with 'stars in their eyes' are probably some of the same guys who bought multiple Garands over the years from the CMP, only planning to resell at gun shows or Gunbroker.

The old song by Bad Company described what will eventually happen when the ammo "panic bubble" begins deflating at an increasing rate:

"Don't you know that you are a shooting star, dontcha know?" This will be entertaining to watch.
Old August 11, 2020, 06:14 AM   #88
Bartholomew Roberts

M193 hit $1/rd during the 2013 panic; but that was at peak panic and maybe a week or two? So I could see that happening; but it would probably settle down to $0.60-$0.75/rd quickly as $1/rd would cause many people to start selling off their ammo forts.
Old August 11, 2020, 07:11 AM   #89
Carl the Floor Walker

For God sake, the ammo shortage is NOT caused by the Virus or by Elections. It is from Terror. As in Terrorism. Here is the Defination of Domestic Terrorism from FBI GOV.

Domestic terrorism: Violent, criminal acts committed by individuals and/or groups to further ideological goals stemming from domestic influences, such as those of a political, religious, social, racial, or environmental nature

It is disgusting to watch what is going on in this Country. *** has to be neutralized ASAP!
If a Terror Group like Al Qaeda started to loot, burn, destroy, kill, threaten citizens, and on and on what would YOU do? What would our Country do?
We have to put a end to it now.
Old August 11, 2020, 01:45 PM   #90
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
For God sake, the ammo shortage is NOT caused by the Virus or by Elections. It is from Terror. As in Terrorism
I disagree. In part, anyway. Tis not "terror" though it is a degree of apprehension. First off, its not "terrorists" who are buying all the ammunition.

And, I don't think it is fear of terrorists either. It's today's buying attitudes, as much as anything. The uncertainty (or fear, if you prefer) that a product isn't going to be available when you want it, so when it is, they buy as much as they can. I'm not counting the resellers/profiteers in this, directly, though they do play a part in creating and keeping the attitude alive.

Realizing that its over half a century past now, and nearly everyone involved in the "protests" today hadn't even been born then, but remember (or look it up) the part of the late 60s that wasn't "peace, love, and "mostly peaceful" protests.

We had riots in our major cities. We has killings. We had BOMBINGS!!! and not just one or two. People weren't just demanding "defunding" the police, they were yelling "OFF THE PIGS!!" and other such catchy phrases. Firebombing (and regular bombing) "establishment" buildings, and other acts of destruction.

There was no ammo shortage then. There was no TOILET PAPER shortage then...of course, there was also no internet then, no 24/7 news cycle endlessly repeating bad things over and over and over just so they have something to talk about to fill that 24hr coverage...

Panic, fear, uncertainty, sells news. Selling us news 24/7 makes even little things seem like big things. Who profits most from scaring people? It isn't Walmart or any other retailer selling physical goods, its the talking heads on the "tube" and the people that own them.

Think about that for a bit...
Old August 12, 2020, 10:31 AM   #91
seanc

^we seem to be light a few posts...
Old August 12, 2020, 02:01 PM   #92
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Some posts were getting heavily into politics, and verging on TEOTWAWKI comments rather than discussing ammunition and supplies thereof.
Jeepaholic
Old August 12, 2020, 05:42 PM   #93
skoro

Main cause?

Panic buying/hoarding/surge of new gun owners.

Hard to figure how long this one will last, but hopefully nowhere as long as the 2008-2009 panic.
Old August 14, 2020, 03:48 PM   #94
gaseousclay

My local big box retailer has been getting ammo in short supply, meaning once the popular calibers hit the shelves they’re immediately wiped out. Today they had quite a few boxes of aluminum cased 9mm, which was an easy pass.
Old August 20, 2020, 11:44 AM   #95
gaseousclay

I’ve made several trips to different gun stores in town, all big box retailers. Two of them were picked clean, with the exception of lots of hunting rounds like 30.06 and 270 win. My go to LGS has been hit or miss but today I went early and was actually able to get some 9mm at $14 for a box of 50 (scooped up 200 rounds cuz that’s the limit) and a lot of 223 rem and 556. I bought 100 rounds of 556 at $10 for a box of 20. In addition to that, I also ordered 500 rounds of 556 online. Overall a good day. When I first arrived at the store this morning there was a small stack of Blaser 9mm. I grabbed 4 boxes, went to the gun accessories department and then went back to the ammo department 5 minutes later and the 9mm was gone. Talk about fast
Old August 20, 2020, 12:49 PM   #96
FITASC

Quote:
(scooped up 200 rounds cuz that’s the limit)
And THAT, right there, is the reason we have a shortage
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 20, 2020, 02:03 PM   #97
gaseousclay

To be fair, the 200 limit imposed by the store might’ve yielded more availability for others had they implemented it sooner. Back in early July my LGS had a 1000 round limit. Then, 2 weeks ago it was a 500 limit. Now it’s 200. I’ve been unable to get any 9mm ammo since early July so I grabbed the allotted amount. The other thing is that the store isn’t jacking their prices up like everyone else, so it sells a lot faster.

Last night I ordered 500 rounds of 556 at .68 cents/round which I was more than willing to pay given the scarcity of ammo. Ammo prices have continued to rise in recent weeks so I’m getting what I can and paying what I can in case shtf. So is every other gun owner in the country
Old August 21, 2020, 10:25 AM   #98
JDBerg

The local Turner’s Outdoorsman is selling TULA steelcase 9mm for $18.99 per box of 50 (and I’m glad that nobody is buying it). I still have a decent supply of ammo so I can still get to the LGR. It’s easier to get an online range reservation since the range is still out 9mm, so fewer people are shooting With no ammo to shoot. I expect that this shortage will eventually end like the rest of the shortages, but I don’t plan on buying much from Turners once the shortage is over.
Old August 22, 2020, 10:13 AM   #99
Reloadron

Main Cause of the Current Ammo Shortage?

Ammunition like toilet paper and other commodities is manufactured to meet a demand. That's my take on it so far. When demand increases the manufacturing process will increase to meet the demand. When there is a sharp increase in demand (like massive demand over a few day period) manufacturing can't keep up with it. The demand suddenly exceeds manufacturing capability.

Taking toilet paper as an example. I seriously doubt people are using anymore toilet paper today than at this time a year ago and the same is true of ammo even if we figure in new gun buyers.

A sharp increase in demand for ammunition or toilet paper can have any number of causes the least of which is not panic. People start getting real nervous real fast and things start to disappear real fast from store shelves. Now here in the US we toss in COVID along with some civil unrest and in short order we create the perfect storm. Like how hurricane Sandy came together in NYC.

Manufacturers want to meet demand but they also know demand can end as fast as it began leaving manufacturers with an unwanted surplus. They have learned from history. Personally I am not shooting anymore ammunition or using anymore toilet paper than I was a year ago so if I have a stockpile of all these commodities when they become available on store shelves I won't be buying any. Really? If my wife and I use a roll of toilet paper every 3.5 days we use two rolls a week or about 104 rolls per year. If I am sitting on over 1,000 rolls I have no need to buy toilet paper for 10 years.

Most of us have seen this play out before and many of us will see it play out again. The causes are always the same, people panic and buy. A panic can be driven by any number of causes but the end result is always the same. The more causes for panic the more perfect the storm.

Ron
Old August 22, 2020, 11:41 PM   #100
KyJim

Quote:
Taking toilet paper as an example. I seriously doubt people are using anymore toilet paper today than at this time a year ago and the same is true of ammo even if we figure in new gun buyers.
But they were using more of "homestyle" toilet paper.

The TP shortage was caused by two things. First, panic buying depleted existing stocks and it took time for manufacturers to get caught back up and for the increased production to hit retail outlets. Their are parallels with ammo.

The second reason for the TP shortage was the fact that commercial toilet paper (schools, businesses, etc.) is made differently than most home toilet paper (softer). Companies that made both kinds had to switch over production because of the increased demand for home TP.

Quote:
Data from Georgia-Pacific, maker of the Angel Soft and Quilted Northern brands, shows that the average American household — 2.6 people — uses about 409 rolls of toilet paper a year. The company estimates that people will use about 40% more toilet paper than usual if they spend all their time at home during the pandemic.
Story from May, 19 2020 here.

I know that one company (I think it was the that makes Charmin) only made home TP, so had no capacity to switch from commercial to home TP production (without overtime, which means higher costs). There might be parallels to ammo production, but I can't think of any of the top of my head.