The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old March 20, 2012, 06:41 AM   #26
the only sarge

I left out a issue with these MilSurps (not just Mosins guys)
Rarely is the barrel concentric with the rifle bore. So always be aware and careful any muzzle device will clear the exiting bullet. Often I have to drill and ream a muzzle device for that safety margin to compensate for an out of whack bore/barrel. Again, no big deal...but a safety issue when threading and installing a muzzle device on any MilSurp. Let me find a picture of a Mosin with one really out of whack to show you what I am talking about....

It will shoot accurately and reliably....just don't think about putting any muzzle device on one this far out of whack with the bore
Old March 20, 2012, 08:00 AM   #27
the only sarge

The finished Hog/Brush Mosin project. Shoots great. Have made many of these for ranch use (mainly guest here Hog hunting) but this is the first red dot. I will say I am impressed with the quick acquisition and accuracy.

Old March 20, 2012, 08:23 AM   #28
the only sarge

The scope rings are loose fitting and make the scope look crooked. The scope is dead on.....it is the scope rings that are wabberjocky Just FYI.
And yes I straightened up the candles for the old woman after I saw that picture
Bottom line is these are inexpensive to do. Great hunting/truck guns and can be shot for years with MilSurp ammo inexpensively. Guest here at the ranch love them and many a hog has caught the business end of one of these Mosin sporters.
I stay out of the "history destroying" discussion as these are all working guns. I have dozens of MilSurps and they all get shot/cleaned once a month at minimum.