The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 20, 2011, 07:23 PM   #1
spleify

Do you clean your primer pockets?

I am gonna ask some questions here as I have been doing things the same way for over 10 years now and I'm wondering how others are doing things or if things have changed any.

I have always cleaned all of my primer pockets on all of my different cases. Pistol and rifle. I have heard rumblings of folks not cleaning there primer pockets and I was wondering what folks are doing, or not doing.

Thanks
Like us on Facebook
Old May 20, 2011, 07:26 PM   #2
Hog Hunter

I clean mine. Choose not to but when the spark dont reach the powder its hte loaders fault. Thats the way I see it.
Old May 20, 2011, 07:29 PM   #3
Don H

Other than on precision rifle cases, I haven't cleaned primer pockets on either handgun or rifle brass in over 40 years with no noticeable issues.
Old May 20, 2011, 07:33 PM   #4
sserdlihc

I clean every piece of brass I reload. Sometimes the media gets stuck in the flash hole.
Old May 20, 2011, 07:47 PM   #5
thetoulman

I clean pockets on all rifle brass, but I only clean really foul looking pockets on handgun brass.
Old May 20, 2011, 07:50 PM   #6
DANNY-L

I clean them all,why do only 3/4 of the prep. + thats what the trim mate is for.
Old May 20, 2011, 07:59 PM   #7
Sky Master

I load only for handguns and never clean my primer pockets. If a piece of clean media ever gets stuck in the primer hole, the decapping pin will knock it out along with the primer.
Old May 20, 2011, 08:27 PM   #8
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Same here, Sky Master. Not worth the time for pistol and not conducive to perform the process while trying to make use of a progressive press...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old May 20, 2011, 08:29 PM   #9
Bamashooter

I clean every primer pocket on every piece of brass. I cant really see a downside to doing it.
Old May 20, 2011, 08:32 PM   #10
LarryFlew

No particular reason but I do on my rifle rounds and do not on pistol rounds.
Old May 20, 2011, 08:42 PM   #11
Loader9

I have a Remington 40X in 30/338Mag that has a certified one hole group out of the infamous Houston Warehouse. I've never cleaned a primer pocket in my life. The flashole is far more important than a little black residue that in most cases doesn't hardly amount to dust once removed. If accuracy is yer thang, are your flasholes deburred? If not, yer wastin time cleaning primer pockets.
Old May 20, 2011, 09:01 PM   #12
That'll Do

I don't even consider cleaning primer pockets on pistol brass. I did when I first started reloading, but that practice went out the window really quick.

Rifle brass does get the primer pockets cleaned, although only when I'm trimming the brass, as primer pocket brush is right next to the case mouth deburring tool on my RCBS Trim Mate case prep center.
Old May 20, 2011, 09:56 PM   #13
Sevens

Quote:
but that practice went out the window really quick.
Minor correction: That practice went out in a USPS priority flat rate box and ended up in my man cave.

(I've been burning through that 9 recently and used some of it for a shoot last weekend! )
Old May 20, 2011, 10:11 PM   #14
Shoney

What Don H said. except no cleaning for over 45 years.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old May 20, 2011, 10:11 PM   #15
jepp2

I clean all primer pockets before tumbling the brass. I don't do it for accuracy reasons, I just like seating primers against smooth clean brass. I wouldn't necessarily tell someone else they needed to, but I will keep doing it.
Old May 20, 2011, 10:40 PM   #16
That'll Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevens
Minor correction: That practice went out in a USPS priority flat rate box and ended up in my man cave.

(I've been burning through that 9 recently and used some of it for a shoot last weekend! )
You're right, I forgot about that batch of brass I traded you. That was probably the last bunch I cleaned. It sure did look nice, all spiffed up.
Old May 20, 2011, 10:41 PM   #17
Sevens

Shot nice, too. I'm about out of it.
(well, I still have most of it... but the primer pockets aren't clean anymore... and they never will be EVER again! )
Old May 21, 2011, 01:39 AM   #18
FrankenMauser

As other shooters have suggested ...

I only clean the primer pockets on rifle cases that have had the flash holes deburred, but not all of them. I do it for loads with which I am seeking absolute perfection. For other rifle loads, I don't really care (and, honestly, can't tell the difference).

For pistols... it's a big 'nope'. ...waste of time.
Old May 21, 2011, 02:05 AM   #19
DarthNul

I reload for pistol only. At first I cleaned them all (at that time, "all" meant 9mm only) with a Lyman pocket cleaning tool. I also reamed all S&B brass the first time through to avoid tight pocket issues.

I stopped for a while but when I started loading .45 auto, those large primers seemed to seat a lot closer to "flush" (or not) than small primers on 9mm so I went back to cleaning them.

Now I clean 'em all but it's strictly ultra-sonic batch cleaning. No more risk of repetitive motion injuries from twisting pocket cleaning tools.
Old May 21, 2011, 07:24 AM   #20
hooligan1

+ 100 Frankenmauser.. ditto for me.
Old May 21, 2011, 06:27 PM   #21
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
Doesn't hurt a thing !

I deburr flashholes and give the pocket one twist of the Lee tool ! But I'm Type A with OCD . Never had a dud in 45 Years !
Old May 21, 2011, 06:38 PM   #22
chris in va

I did for a bit when I first started reloading, but soon discovered it wasn't necessary, especially when reloading thousands of pistol and rifle rounds. I can see how you'd want that with benchrest/target loads though.

Really I just make sure the pocket and flash hole are clear of obstructions and continue with the next steps.

EDIT: I tumble/clean my range brass before decapping so I don't have to worry about media getting stuck in the flash hole.
Old May 21, 2011, 07:00 PM   #23
floydster

Have never cleaned a primer pocket in 55 years of reloading, rifle and pistol.
Old May 21, 2011, 09:38 PM   #24
chiefr

Agree with most, I have been reloading for over 40 years and have never cleaned pockets. I can't even remember anyone selling pocket cleaners years ago when I got hooked on reloading. Don't plan to start either.
Old May 21, 2011, 09:59 PM   #25
hammered54

I haven't been reloading as long as some of you guys ..but I do clean them all.