The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old May 23, 2011, 07:47 PM   #1
dnr1128

Moving across state lines

Mods, if this is in the wrong forum, please move it.

In a few months I plan on moving from my current state, MS, to OK. I have an MS firearms permit. Since when I take up residence in OK (get a DL), I'll have to surrender my MS DL, does that make my MS permit invalid? If so, that means there will be a minimum of 90 days that I won't be able to carry at all, until I can get a OK permit.

Aside from getting a non-res that is recognized by both states, is there a way I can carry on my MS permit until I can get the OK permit? Anyone else moved out of state and dealt with this?
Old May 24, 2011, 08:40 AM   #2
sundog

Call the OSBI and ask.

http://www.ok.gov/osbi/Concealed_Wea...ing/index.html
Old May 24, 2011, 10:02 AM   #3
Spats McGee
Staff

Make that call before you actually move.
Old May 24, 2011, 01:34 PM   #4
dnr1128

I talked to both the OSBI and MHSP and found out that once I get an OK DL, my MS permit will be invalid. Looks like the only option to continue to carry during the 90 day period is to get a non-res, probably from FL. Just hate to spend the money for only a brief period of time.

Thanks for the links, guys!
Old May 24, 2011, 01:41 PM   #5
Spats McGee
Staff

Can you go ahead and start the paperwork on the OK permit? If you have a known and verifiable address to which you'll be moving, and a date when it will happen, that might be possible. It doesn't cost anything to ask.
Old May 25, 2011, 10:51 PM   #6
dnr1128

No. I'll need an OK DL.

I think I'll just go ahead and get a FL non-res. I already have the training done, even though its not required here in MS. Doesn't hurt to have it for traveling to other states.
Old May 26, 2011, 06:37 PM   #7

Questionable

Am I correct to believe that in most permit issuing states that the validity of a non-resident permit is conferred by the possession of a valid residential permit? I am also questioning if the OP wil need to to redo his non-resident permit due to the move.
Old May 26, 2011, 08:44 PM   #8
TCL

Some states require that, if you are a resident of that state, you must have their permit in order to carry.

The requirements of several states that an individual be resident in that state for a certain amount of time before they will issue a CCW permit, when combined with the above requirement that you use your home state's permit to carry there, constitutes a hole in CCW legislation that needs to be addressed.

I'll be up against the same thing if I move from Iowa to Nebraska in the next couple of years, as is likely to happen, and there isn't any way around it at the moment. I will have to surrender my Iowa permit when I get my Nebraska driver's license, but as a new Nebraska resident I will not be able to carry in Nebraska on my Utah permit (assuming I ever get around to getting one), nor will I be able to obtain a Nebraska permit immediately.

Like I said, it's something that needs to be addressed. There should be no delay. If I can get my driver's license and my voter registration card on the same day, I should be able to get my CCW permit then too.

(Yet another reason to favor Constitutional carry...)
Old May 26, 2011, 10:31 PM   #9
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 203002405
Am I correct to believe that in most permit issuing states that the validity of a non-resident permit is conferred by the possession of a valid residential permit? I am also questioning if the OP wil need to to redo his non-resident permit due to the move.
Some but certainly not all. I have no idea if it's "most," but I suspect perhaps not.

As to re-doing the residential permit, that's also specific to the state. I know that for my home state permit, if I move out of state I just send the state a letter with my new address, and put a sticker on the permit showing the new address.
Old May 27, 2011, 10:55 AM   #10
Don P

Quote:
Just hate to spend the money for only a brief period of time.
The money spent would certainly beat the holy hell out of a felony conviction thus never owning a firearm again (legally)
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.