The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 24, 2011, 03:27 PM   #1
Raines

Idaho Bill Proposed

Quote:
Idaho: Permitless Carry Introduced in the Gem State

As of President’s Day, the Idaho Senate had introduced Senate Bill 1126 and assigned it to the State Affairs Committee. Commonly known as Permitless Carry legislation, this bill would amend the existing concealed carry law to allow law-abiding Idahoans to carry a concealed firearm without the burdensome requirement of acquiring an Idaho carry permit. The approval of this pivotal legislation would bode well for law-abiding citizens of Idaho who wish to protect not only themselves but family and friends alike.

In Idaho today it is generally legal to carry a firearm openly as long as one is at least 18 years of age and not prohibited from possessing a firearm. However, if the firearm becomes covered with a coat, or if a woman prefers to carry a firearm in her purse, one needs to possess a concealed carry permit. The intent of this legislation is to give honest people the greatest possible freedom to choose the best method of carry for them, based on attire, gender, and/or physical attributes.

Please contact the members of the Senate State Affairs Committee TODAY and respectfully urge them to support SB 1126!
Senate State Affairs Committee

Senator Curt McKenzie (R-12), Chairman
Phone: (208) 332-1326
[email protected]

Senator Russell M. Fulcher (R-21), Vice Chairman
[email protected]

Senator Bart M. Davis (R-33)
(208) 332-1305
[email protected]

Senator Brent Hill (R-34)
(208) 332-1300
[email protected]

Senator John McGee (R-10)
(208) 332-1304
[email protected]

Senator Chuck Winder (R-14)
(208) 332-1354
[email protected]

Senator Patti Anne Lodge (R-13)
[email protected]

Senator Edgar J. Malepeai (D-30)
(208) 332-1406
[email protected]

Senator Michelle Stennett (D-25)
(208) 332-1353
[email protected]

This is great, I sure hope it passes...if any of you are affected by Idaho Legistlature, please help support this bill
Old February 24, 2011, 05:16 PM   #2
LDSGJA

Used to live in East Idaho a couple of years ago. The open carry is kinda pointless. What are you going to wear a holster on top of your coat and have your gun covered in snow? Its so cold there most of the year.

And a lot of areas are so rural it can help people protect from wolves/mountain lions/and bears - after all, Yellowstone is just an hour from east Idaho.

Also, there is something important about being able to defend yourself when the sheriff might be over an hour away!

Hope it passes for all the Idahoans!
Old February 24, 2011, 08:51 PM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Your post opens by indicating a quote, but there is no indication of what or who is being quoted. Care to identify the source so we can read the actual bill?
Old February 25, 2011, 12:31 AM   #4
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Senate Bill 1126. Download the bill (PDF), here.
Old February 25, 2011, 10:06 AM   #5
Raines

Thank you for posting that Al....Also, online viewable here http://www.legislature.idaho.gov/leg...2011/S1126.htm
Old May 20, 2011, 11:54 PM   #6
buckfynn

I haven't heard anything more of this bill? Did it get voted down or just shelved for a later date?
Old May 21, 2011, 09:25 AM   #7
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

The bill never made it out of committee.
Old May 21, 2011, 11:46 AM   #8
buckfynn

So it was DOA. Before the next Idaho legislative session comes up I am going email my representatives urging them to enact this legislation.
Old May 21, 2011, 07:48 PM   #9
HoraceHogsnort

You Idahotunts need to get hop'n on this and make it happen. Sit'n on the fence is for the lost.
Old May 21, 2011, 08:36 PM   #10
Deja vu

This is good news. Do you think they will offer CCW permits for the case of travel like Alaska did?

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old May 21, 2011, 08:49 PM   #11
buckfynn

The bill never made it out of committee. How is this good news?
Old May 21, 2011, 09:42 PM   #12
Standing Wolf
Member in memoriam

If constitutional carry never made it out of committee, I'd say some legislators need to find themselves out of jobs P.D.Q.
Old May 21, 2011, 11:08 PM   #13
buckfynn

As it stands today Alaska, Arizona, and Wyoming have adopted Constitutional Carry legislation.

Colorado, Idaho, Iowa, Kentucky, Maine, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, Oregon, South Carolina, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia, and West Virginia have recently considered Constitutional Carry legislation.

I find it encouraging many states are at least considering enacting Constitutional Carry legislation. I remember in the late '80's most states had "may issue" legislation that offered a CCW. And at that time approximately one third of the states had "no issue" CCW laws. Now almost all states operate under "shall issue" doctrine. And only two states are "no issue" Wisconsin and Illinois. So progress is being made slowly but surely.
Old May 22, 2011, 01:36 AM   #14
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Let us not forget that Vermont has always had Constitutional carry. The big difference there is that Vermont does not offer the option of voluntarily taking out a permit for carry in other states that universally honor home state permits.