The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 25, 2010, 04:06 PM   #1
Fargazer

Knoxx effectiveness guidance needed

I need a bit of guidance to the effectiveness of the Knoxx recoil absorbing stocks. I'm selecting a home defense shotgun to be used for both me and my wife, and am looking at the 870 Police model 12 gauges, and the 870 Express 20 gauge. No matter which I choose, whether it comes with the shotgun or added after purchase, I want to end up with:
  • Weaponlight (probably Surefire)
  • Knoxx recoil absorbing stock
  • Some sort of enhanced sight
I like the idea of the extra quality control in the Remington Police models; however, you can't get one in a 20 gauge, only 12. I'm pretty sure my wife can handle a 20 gauge, but not so sure about a 12 gauge (we'll go shooting at a friend's farm in the next couple weeks to get a better feel). My need for help is two fold:
  1. How effective will the Knoxx stock be in cutting recoil on the 12 gauge? Would it be able to make the 12 gauge feel like a 20 gauge without the Knoxx stock?
    • For stock effectiveness, I'm comparing standard buckshot shells. In practice, if I end up with a 12 gauge, I'd be running reduced load shells, which would help recoil further.
  2. Is the extra quality steps of the Remington Police models worth the extra concerns introduced by the larger bore? I feel a 20 gauge would be ideal, but only if it's a properly working 20 gauge.
I'm not afraid to spend the money needed for a good shotgun; what does concern me is the possibility of getting a shotgun and finding out that, either for recoil or quality, I made the wrong choice. One good buy trumps two buys, even if the good buy costs.

One other note: on this thread, I'm mostly interested in the effectiveness of the Knoxx stock, rather than any discussion on 870 vs Mossberg. I'll tackle that in more detail once I get through the gauge and recoil concerns.

Thanks all...
Old October 25, 2010, 04:47 PM   #2
oneounceload

There are two types of recoil - actual and perceived (aka "kick")

The Knoxx MAY have some affect on the perceived, but not necessarily on the actual as that is comprised of weight of the gun, velocity and mass of the ejecta.

Perceived recoil can be mitigated by good gun FIT, gas actions, recoil pads and other similar devices.

Shooting the lightest loads in the heaviest gun that FITS is the way to reduce both recoils.

Do NOT have her shoot some uber hot buckshot load - not if you never want her to shoot that shotgun again - go with the lightest target loads you can find - the Winlite at 985 fps come to mind

otherwise, you are doomed to a wife that will NOT use that gun and oyu might as well plan on getting her her own handgun
Old October 25, 2010, 07:50 PM   #3
mickrazz

I didn't see much, if any recoil reduction. Its actually a bit uncomfortable for me to shoot due to the straight comb. I have gone back to the original stock but added the remington supercell recoil pad. The pad does cushion the kick quite a lot.
Old October 25, 2010, 09:10 PM   #4
RoscoeC

I bought one and installed it on a Remington Express HD model. It is very effective in mitigating the perceived recoil. I took a shotgun course with it and fired about ~400 rounds over 3 days. Bird shot, 00 buck and slugs. No ill effects at all.

With all that said, I really am not a fan. It is difficult to get a proper cheek weld. If you set the lop too short the bell will smack you in the cheek.

I find the wood stock with the R3 pad to be just about as effective.

Just my opinion. I'm sure there are those that think they are the greatest thing since pockets on a shirt. I don't.
NRA Life Member
Old October 27, 2010, 09:45 AM   #5
Fargazer

Well, two new developments:

First off, my cousin-in-law told me he had a Remington 870 that he won at a banquet, and is giving it to me, NIB (he's got to dig it out to see exactly what version it is, but it does come with some chokes - he thinks it's a 12 gauge). Woohoo! I'll have it by the end of the year.

Secondly, I spoke to J. D. McGuire, who runs AI&P TACTICAL. I found him both very knowledgeable and very helpful (two qualities that don't always walk hand in hand), and his site had some good explanations on what to look for and not look for on a home defense shotgun. I would recommend the site to anyone interested in a home defense or combat shotgun. It's written in such a way that even if you may disagree with some particulars, he also tells you WHY he says what he does; that's a lot more useful than just stating a bare opinion.

Looks like I'm going to start my wife off with a 20 gauge (loaner or rental), take some classes with her at the local skeet / trap range, and go from there. Mid January I'll pick up AI&P's Tactical III, perhaps with a Limbsaver pad, for a HD shotgun. I think the combination of the Mesa stock, a Limbsaver, and light loaded shells should address any felt recoil concerns on the 12 gauge.
Old October 27, 2010, 01:12 PM   #6
idek

It sounds like you may have already come to conclusions regarding your situation, but I'll just add that there is more than one Knoxx stock available. I think the one most people think of is the SpecOps stock which is the tactical looking stock with the pistol grip and adjustable length of pull.

Some complaints I've heard about that stock are that it doesn't fit well, the comb height throws off the point of aim/point of impact, or some people just don't like a pistol grip.

I have the Knoxx Compstock which has a more conventional shape and grip. It may look a bit clunky, but it fits me as well as the factory stock and it doesn't change the way the gun handles or points. As far as its recoil dampening abilities, I've shot 3" turkey shells and slugs with no ill affects (and I'm kind of a wimp when it comes to recoil).

For a direct comparison to the R3 recoil pad, I was doing some pasture clay shooting one time with bulk 12 gauge shells. My gun had the Knoxx Compstock on it. After shooting for a while, I shot someone else's 870 with the R3 using the same shells. On the first shot, I was surprised at how jarring the recoil felt. That's not to say the R3 or other Limbsaver pads aren't good (I have two of them on other guns), but they don't absorb recoil the way the Compstock does. My 12 gauge with the Compstock is as comfortable to shoot as my 20 gauge with a Limbsaver pad (maybe even more comfortable).

Unfortunately, now that I've addressed the merits of the stock, I don't know that it would be a good stock for your wife unless she is rangier than most women. The Compstock has about the same length of pull as a full-size 870 stock. It may be long for most women even in a traditional stance, and many people prefer shorter stocks for defense shotguns, so they can shoot from a more squared up stance. But if a full-size stock fits her well, I'd recommend the Compstock.

Also, you may very well know this already, but the noise from shooting a shotgun greatly increases perceived recoil. Regardless of what stock you have or what shells you're using, good ear protection can work wonders regarding one's enjoyment of shooting. I sometimes wear ear muffs over the top of ear plugs when practice shooting. Your wife may benefit from this too.
Old October 31, 2010, 04:43 PM   #7
wdelack

I have the conventional looking version on a Mossberg 500. The first time I shot it my thumb popped me in the nose under recoil. This could partially come from a length of pull that is a little too short for me, then gets shorter when the spring inside the stock compresses. As a poster mentioned above, it is also difficult to get a good cheek weld because of the movement of the stock.

Overall for a home defense gun the stock is okay. For hunting or target shooting I find the stock a PITA.