The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 18, 2009, 06:21 AM   #1
Sixer

Hot load?

Ok, newb question... What makes a load "hot"? Is it when you load to max. recommended charge, a bit over the max, or when you pull the trigger and your gun explodes?

-There is no theory of evolution... Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Old April 18, 2009, 07:20 AM   #2
Sevens

Obviously, it's open to interpretation. I would say the first two you said could qualify, but the third not so much.

Afterall, a LOT of people use hot loads, maybe prefer hot loads... but nobody out there is handloading with the select purpose of blowing up their gun.
Old April 18, 2009, 10:21 AM   #3
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

Hot Loads = When you need gloves to load the rounds into your gun so you don't get burnt...

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old April 18, 2009, 11:45 AM   #4
jdscholer

Never forget that a working "hot load" in your friends gun, might blow your gun up.-- or vice-versa. jd
Old April 18, 2009, 12:43 PM   #5
JD 500

Kaboom = Too Hot !
Old April 18, 2009, 06:41 PM   #6
HiBC

I am not the "definer"
But IMO "Hot" certainly includes high pressure.High pressure does not necessarily mean high performance or high velocity or high accuracy.

It does mean reduced margin of safety.It does mean reduced margin for error .It does mean reduced margin for variables such as manufacturing tolerances,like a new pound of powder of a different lot,or a hotter day or ammo in the sun.

Each reloading can stretch a case a bit.The stretch occurs just forward of the case head,and the brass thins.The "Stretch ring".It is not a good place for brass to fail.

To a degree,an experienced reloader who understands how it all works together can narrow the margin of error required by reducing variables.

Do you buy a 500 lot of brass,and 8 lbs of powder?Now it is all the same lot.

Or,do you pick up range brass and buy one lb of powder at a time?

Do you bump the die on the shellholder and take what you get for effective headspace ,or control it with an RCBS precision mic?

Do you use the bent paper clip test and watch for cracled necks,do you have control of that qty of brass,have you logged it's history,and will you scrap all of it when the right time comes? That might be 4 loadings on hot,but it might be 12 loadings on reasonable.

In my old age,I have taken a half step back from hot,and settle for warm.

And I still pay attention.

The gun,the barrel,the brass,all last longer.Your eyes,your face are safer.

The trajectory does not magically get flatter beyond max.

And,whatever is hit won't notice the 3 grains more or less of powder.

What is nice,is selecting the components that provide the best balance,the highest performance ammo while still remaining within acceptable pressures.

You can often achieve a higher velocity at less peak pressure by better matching the pressure curve to your barrel.

Last edited by HiBC; April 18, 2009 at 06:47 PM.
Old April 18, 2009, 07:32 PM   #7
Shoney

Anytime a load approaches or exceed SAAMI max pressures or the max pressure that a weapon is designed to handle, it is hot. If it exceeds SAMMI pressures, you are definitely in the KB range.

The powder max load does not have to be exceeded to reach max pressure. Particularly in pistol cartridges, using below max powder charges, if the OAL is shortened too much, the pressure can spike over safe limits.

How the bullet reacts (i.e., it disintigrates upon leaving the barrel) has nothing to do with hot loads. A bullet intended to be shot from a 22 Hornet will disintegrate at middle of the road velocities in a 220 Swift. Rotational forces tear the bullet appart. Bullet contruction limits the velocity and has little to do with pressure.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old April 19, 2009, 02:10 AM   #8
AlaskaMike

HiBC and Shoney mention good stuff.

It's not just about the danger of blowing up the gun. Encroaching into your margin of safety is not something to be done lightly--a hot load can severely shorten the life of a firearm without coming close to blowing it up. In revolvers they tend to loosen up and then start spitting lead back at you when fired. Sometimes though, metal fatigue can occur causing a gun to let go with a load that you fired 50 times before with no ill effects. You think you have a good safe load in your gun, and then at some point without any warning at all, the gun self destructs when you pull the trigger.

The SAAMI specs are good to adhere to--doing so will ensure that your handloads will be safely usable in any gun of the same caliber, among other things.

Good luck,
Mike