The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 11, 2009, 10:59 AM   #76
BigJimP

My reference book shows 1975 on that gun too Quentin.
Old August 11, 2009, 11:39 AM   #77
Quentin2

Thanks, Big Jim!
Old August 11, 2009, 11:55 AM   #78
GeauxTide

Herrett's Grips

My first pistol was a new M-19 in 1970. I had Jordan Trooper stocks put on and was a dream to shoot, even with the hot Super-Vel loads. I recently corresponded with Herrett's and they tell me there is a 6 month back log.
Old August 11, 2009, 12:13 PM   #79
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

I see that this is an older thread, but given the popularity of the 19, it could live forever!

My 4" nickle 19 was a gift from a good friend when I graduated from the academy back in '82. It served me well as my duty weapon until we switched to semi-autos.

I swapped out the factory grips for these custom grips made by Art Jewel Enterprises, but I have no idea if they're still in business. They made some very unique, but functional grips.

This is an older pic; sorry I don't have any better ones.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old August 13, 2009, 01:14 PM   #80
siscolee

thanks alot for the info everyone and NICE GUNS!!!!

I've shot the gun twice since and it's a dream slick trigger, and extremely accurate couldn't believe a 2.5" could have such a range.

It may not be as original as I thought but I can't find anything at all wrong with it. Just about as pretty as could be, nice and tight and goes bang!!! and I'm sure I'll carry it much more if I don't worry about a perfect factory finish.
Old January 10, 2010, 12:10 PM   #81
To3T@g

combat magnum

Wow guys,ive learned alot reading this thread so far! I own a 66-1 6" with ss sights. its my baby and my first revolver ever. My dad gave it to me as a xmas gift in 07. My father bought 5 revolvers from an estate sale a few mnths befor xmas. the estate belonged to a man in his 90s who apparently worked flea markets most of his life. all the guns were unfired and NIB. there were 4 combat mags! 2 4"(one stainless one nickle) and 2 6"(one stainless one nickle) along with a new 6" 686(stainless). Dad let me and my 2 brothers pic out which ones we wanted xmas night and gave the other 2 to my step brother and my brother in law. I got the mod66 ss 6"! midle bro got mod19(nickle) 6"! and baby bro picked the 686 6"! the other two got the 2 4"mods. as of yesterday my brother in law asked if i wanted to buy his 4"mod19 nickle and im leaven after i post this to pic it up from him for 500$ my dad payd 350$ a piece for them from the estate sale! ohh well,he has an Army buddy who wants to give him 600 for it so im going to be eating TOP RAMEN for a week or two. I know its high guys but it has never been fired by him or anyone and is 100% with target stock,hammer and trigger! what do u think?
Old January 10, 2010, 12:13 PM   #82
To3T@g

combat magnum

when my GF gets here later today ill get her camera and post some pics of both of em!
Old January 10, 2010, 12:20 PM   #83
To3T@g

S&W

ALSO! BigJim! would u mind checking the year on my 66-1 if u have time sir? SN is 59k9xxx! like i stated befor it has ss sights and from what the guy at the local gun store said when i got my bianchi holster,it is one of the first ones. Maybe u could tell me if he was rite jim! thanks guys! I know this is an old thread,but its a good one aswell.
Old January 10, 2010, 12:41 PM   #84
pogo2

Also a 19 fan...

I also like model 19s, especially the 2.5 inch snubby variety. I have two model 19-5s, one in the regular blue finish and one in a factory matte finish ordered by the State Department Diplomatic Security Service.

Old January 10, 2010, 01:06 PM   #85
To3T@g

nice guns pogo! i want a 2 1/2 19or66 badly! that will complete my collection
Old February 13, 2010, 11:47 PM   #86
chaser

Greetings
I have acquired my dads 4" 19-4. Can someone help me with the birthdate of a SN 44K3276? Also would the old Hogue Monogrips that are on it be the original grips? My dad remembers them as such but is not 100% sure. I am wanting original factory S&W target grips to put on it. I have seen some that appear to have chrome medallions and others that look like they may be brass. Does anyone know which would have come on this model? Any and all info is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Chuck
Old February 14, 2010, 12:50 AM   #87
bluetopper

I'm dreaming about a 6" model 19 with the wide target hammer and trigger.
Old February 14, 2010, 09:19 PM   #88
kle

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaser
Greetings
I have acquired my dads 4" 19-4. Can someone help me with the birthdate of a SN 44K3276? Also would the old Hogue Monogrips that are on it be the original grips? My dad remembers them as such but is not 100% sure. I am wanting original factory S&W target grips to put on it. I have seen some that appear to have chrome medallions and others that look like they may be brass. Does anyone know which would have come on this model? Any and all info is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Chuck
Chuck-

Your 19-4, Serial Number 44K32xx dates between 1978-1979 (serials for those years went from 25K0001 to 56K9999). It should have shipped with wood grips (either service/magnas or target grips); S&W did not ship the Model 19 with synthetic/rubber grips until 1994 (with the 19-7). According to my copy of the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson, 3rd Edition, plated brass (gold-color) medallions were used starting/resuming in 1953. It also says that the target stocks with speedloader cut (as opposed to the "football" ejector relief) was standard by the mid-1970s.

-Kent
Old February 15, 2010, 09:07 AM   #89
chaser

Kent,
Thanks for the info..its very much appreciated. Your reply kept me from buying the wrong set of grips!
Old March 2, 2010, 11:43 PM   #90
palabman

I bought a nickel plated 19-4 with a 6 inch barrel off of my brother several years ago. He only used it for indoor target shooting and I'll tell you man, I love that gun. I also have a 686 but you just can't beat the way the 19 feels in you hand.
Old March 3, 2010, 02:58 AM   #91
Ben Towe

2K769XX is the serial number on my 19-3. Anybody care to help on it's birthday? It was Pa's service piece so I'm guessing mid to late 60s. Its a nice weapon. Shoots like a dream.
I have another question. I'm trying to refinish the grips on it and I need to remove the S&W emblems from them. They have a very large round "nut" on the back. Any ideas?
Old March 21, 2010, 10:44 PM   #92
rwschill

S&W 19-5

What would be the original grips and box type for a 19-5, 2 1/2 bbl. blued. I recently picked up one in beautiful shape but with no box and aftermarket (some type of ivory looking) grips. Nice as is but I might like to get originals also.
Old June 9, 2010, 04:47 PM   #93
foghorn leghorn

S&W Model 19-3 .357 6 IN

I broke down and bought a revolver, I haven't had one since 1977 when I had my 6 INCH 38 spl robbed from my apartment.

I haven't recieved delivery yet, so I am trying to find out as much about this fine piece as I can. It seems to be the mold that a whole lot of clones have been cut from.
I haven't seen the difference between the model 19's yet.
I am checking all these older threads to see what I can find.
Here is the photo I have so far from the seller.
Old June 9, 2010, 11:07 PM   #94
GotDogs

Here's mine. One of the nicest firearms I own. John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Model 19-4 001.jpg (240.9 KB, 297 views)
File Type: jpg Model 19-4 002.jpg (217.9 KB, 212 views)
Old June 10, 2010, 12:08 AM   #95
foghorn leghorn

Reliability in autos is an issue...

I'm checking all over the net and I'm finding a ton of stuff on the model 19, I'm getting more satisfied that I bought it.
Is there a short definition of the progression of the models 19 thru 19-?
it seem the 19-3 has the first style front sight, a recessed cylinder, and adjustable rear sights. I am not sure if the gun I bought has the target trigger/hammer, I sure hope so. I know some would frown on buying a pistol off GunBroker, but I've had good luck in the past with NIB items, getting previous owned firearms is a crap shoot. I have walked in a gunshop behind a widow selling off her husbands guns before, and sometimes their like brand new.

I dont think I will be this lucky, this time, but if it is mechanically 90%, I can live with some holster wear. This particular pistol in the pictures looks as if it hasn't been cleaned in 30 years, very dusty/dirty, not BBQ'ed after a 1000 round shootfest dirty.
I know what never cleaned in 30 years looks like, I just this weekend fieldstripped my Ruger mark 2 for the first time since I bought it in 1984. Cleaned up nice, just that I thought is would be more complicated to take down than it was. Lots of that greasy-dust, pile looking grit inside everything.
I started doing a lot of pistolsmithing this year on my 3 1911's to reliability work them, and I intentionally bought 2 low end pistols to use as project guns.
I highly recommend everybody try to do something basic to improve their skills, too many things are bumped up to a gunsmith's level that could be done by some simple mechanical skills. I even got into trigger jobs and upgrading my Springfield Armory 1911, which was not supposed to be the project gun.
With that said, I am leaving the 1911's alone now, and moving on. I was totally bummed out at the amount of feed problems all the pistols seem to be having on the other forums, not just the low end ones either. The autoloading shotguns, and even the AR platforms are in my mind questionable, for life and death duty. I carried a m-16 for 4 years in service, and never had a failure to feed, but I have seen plenty. We only had 20 round mags when I was in, but even then we only loaded 18 rounds due to Air force directives, and the over tensioned first two rounds getting squirrely
on charging and getting sideways going into the chamber.
So I have 3 12 ga auto's, an 11-87, Beretta, and a Rem SPR 453 I have not field tested yet, and don't trust. My ithaca model 37 pumper and even my Browning Citori O/U I would trust with my life.
Same thing with the 1911's vs the model 19.
I must admit, I have a Sig P226 in 9mm, and I do trust it 100% so go figure.
As far as battle rifles go, I have a 1903 Springfield sporter that I have taken deer hunting, and a Remington Model 770 in 30-06, that I would trust, but for Christmas I bought myself a DPMS LR308T in .7.62x51 and haven't fired it yet, but I would like to think I could trust it in a clash with the zombies.
Small arms, I have a Rock River M4 Entry Tactical, and a Model 700 in .223 both 100%.

I am regressing to my youth, and the Model 19 is for Father's Day, for myself! I think I will be able to trust it with my life, it's just such a big
HOGLEG!
Old June 10, 2010, 06:04 AM   #96
amd6547

Here is my recently aquired nickle Model 19-4...It instantly replaced my Ruger SP101 3" as my favorite CCW, and even serves for HD duty. It came with Hogues on it, but I replaced those.
Old June 10, 2010, 06:32 AM   #97
540mope

this 19 followed me home about a month ago...

Old July 2, 2010, 08:07 PM   #98
Moemhar

Love the thread, it's been very helpful.

Been looking at what looks like an older 19-5. Serial AYL3819.

Not sure if I should get it, they are asking $300. It still looks nice, but it appears to have quite a few nicks and a couple rust spots. If it's an older gun, then I guess I can understand why it is like that.
Needless to say I'm a bit worried, but thought I'd get some opinions from here? Thoughts?

I've also heard there is a possibility of cracking on these if not properly taken care of and shot a lot?
Old July 2, 2010, 08:32 PM   #99
foghorn leghorn

I just realized I never updated my post with a picture, here is my pistola with the stock furniture,

And here she is with her new shoes, Hogue style.

I wouldn't hesitate to spend $300 beans on a 19-5, this one is a 19-3 from 1973, and is mint. It all depends on where it has spent it's life.
I will say this, there are probably some Katrina guns for sale out there, so you need to be careful.
I don't know how to trust strangers on the internet, but sometimes you have to take a chance.

I got the bug in me to get more .357's.
I just bought a Ruger SP 101 with a 3 inch bbl, but this one is NIB, so I don't have to worry, but A pocket pistol will rock without a little barrel length.
I am planning on shooting .38's in it, but I don't see how you can shoot .357 in a SP101 with a 2incher. Kicks like a mule, I guess. I did get the one with the hammer, I like to cock them when possible, but it is available with a bobbed hammer, double action only.
Old July 2, 2010, 08:49 PM   #100
Moemhar

That looks way nicer than the one I've been looking at. Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it.

I'm just worried about it because the people selling it have NO history on it. I might try to talk them down a bit unless I receive some comments here that would lead me to not buy it.

If I do get it, I'll make sure to post a pic.