The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 30, 2004, 12:54 PM   #1
sdkidaho

Inexpensive but good semi-auto shotguns?

I was browsing around Walmarts page and came across some semi-auto shotguns for under $400. Now maybe I just haven't been looking much, but all the ones I've seen have been $1000 and up in cost. The ones on their site are Charles Daly, and I've no idea if this is a quality gun, or just a piece of junk.

I really don't mind my Benelli Nova pump, but some day I would like a semi-auto, and wondered if there were inexpenisve ones out there that were descent quality?
Old December 30, 2004, 07:07 PM   #2
chris in va

I'm just getting started with the shotgun thing myself, but I was very suprised to find a ton of semiauto's in pawn shops. Once you find out which ones are good, maybe a gem is sitting just down the road for half price.

For example I saw a Remington (not sure the #) for $250.
Old December 30, 2004, 09:18 PM   #3
HunterTRW

As in most things, the adage "you get what you pay for" applies to shotguns, too. Were I to start over I think that I would probably select a Remington model 1100 or 11-87 (in fact the latter was my first semi-automatic, and I still have it). Both have good barrels, light recoil, and point well.

Should the shotgun of your dreams be out of reach new, then I recommend visiting your local gun shop. Most have a variety of used guns in every configuration: single-shots, pumps, semi-automatics, over-unders, and side-by-sides. Moreover, chances are that they will have been vetted, thus you can be reasonably assured that they will be both safe and sound.

Good luck, and good shooting!
Old January 1, 2005, 09:12 PM   #4
greg531mi

Seems to be a gut of Shotguns for small game hunting around Michigan, lots of good used shotguns out there.......
Old January 4, 2005, 08:20 PM   #5
drufus

Remington just came out with an 11-87 "Sportsman". It has a synthetic stock and matte finished barrel and receiver. I think you could get one for around $500-$550.
Old January 5, 2005, 02:23 PM   #6
FirstFreedom

Yeah, but is anyone willing to actually allege here that the Chuckie Ds are junk with actual evidence, or is that just being assumed?
Old January 5, 2005, 04:22 PM   #7
arthurrh

My brother-in-law bought a Charles Daly, and traded it off after about a month because it was such a poor shotgun. Unreliable feeding and mostly roughly put together.
Old January 5, 2005, 07:48 PM   #8
Picher

I've had two Remington 1100s (12 & 20 gauge) and one 11-87 Upland Special 20 gauge. One of the 1100s is a Special Field 21" bbl, straight-stock, similar to my 11-87.

Bottom line is that I can point a Remington quicker and kill more game with it than with any other shotgun I've ever used...and that's a lot.

With shotguns, the greatest factor is how it fits YOU!

Picher
Old January 6, 2005, 12:13 AM   #9
GodblessAmerica

Charles Daly

sdkIdaho,
I have a 12 ga. Charles Daly field grade shotgun w/ synthetic stock, 24 in barrel and the 3 factory chokes. I bought it to hunt turkey with this past spring but didn't get to go so I can't report on it's abilities against live game. Some general observations about mine, anyway:
I have deburred and smoothed the thing in several locations. I cleaned it and relubed it straight out of the box and it originally felt like it had been dropped in the sand. PICHER's comments about fit are absolutely correct. The stock on the CD seems short and did not fit me until I installed a recoil pad to snug it up. Once I had done all of the above plus put on a fiberoptic sight on it, we went to kill some clay pigeons. It cycles reliably with 3" but not 2 3/4. Recoil is kind of sharp but ok with the pad; synthetic remember. The piston buffer in it was out of round from the factory (junky molded plastic piece) and began binding/scratching a little so I emailed them for another. They responded almost immediately and promised a free new one by weeks end. That was in September and I haven't seen it since. So, while I am not bashing it / them, I am generally not really impressed. It points ok and goes bang when you pull the trigger, but it leaves a lot to be desired. My recommendation is look at used name brand guns in the same price range instead. As a side note, do you live in Idaho? I lived there meself a number of years ago.
Old January 6, 2005, 02:41 PM   #10
sdkidaho

Thanks for the input. I'm certain that I'll save my pennies and buy a Benelli some day, but thought I'd check to find out if some of the less expensive ones where more than just that, cheap.

And yes, I do live in Idaho. Grew up in Wyoming and now live in Idaho.
Old January 6, 2005, 09:52 PM   #11
tokarevman

You should be able to get a used remington 1100 for around 300 to 350$ they are great guns i shoot mine a lot and i mean a lot i bet it has had a 100,000 shells put through it and it still fires like it was new.
Old January 15, 2005, 10:52 AM   #12
1BadF350

One of my latest additions is a Reminton 11-87 SPS with Fully rifled cantilever scope mount and this thing is simply awsome! I can shoot 3" loads all day with no soreness....(you potty brains will have a field day with that comment for sure) Seriously though I love that gun. I get a chub just looking at it!
Old January 15, 2005, 01:37 PM   #13
WillBrayjr

The Remington 1100 is about as cheap as you're going to get when it comes to autoloading shotguns and still have a high quality firearm.
Old January 15, 2005, 03:12 PM   #14
cntryboy1289

Stoeger

Just for some info for everyone. From what I have read lately, Stoeger is making their shotguns based on the benneli patent. If they build it without any modifications, you could get a $1000 gun for around $450. I haven' found one to look at yet, but if it is close to being as good, I will buy one for my son.
Old January 15, 2005, 05:04 PM   #15
tpdtom

I don't shoot my semi autos much any more , nearing the end of my hunting career I carry light SxSs and O/Us mostly . I had good luck with an 1100 Tournament Trap for years , bad luck with a Benelli Super Black Eagle as did three of my friends , and have watched with interest as the competitors have flooded to Beretta 391s and the like . My good friend reports that in 5 or 6 years in waterfowl blinds in Manitoba and Saskatchewan , he has seen numerous Benellis and Berettas prove to be jamomatics with heavy loads in foul weather. We chuckle because I have rarely seen an old Browning Auto 5 or Remington 1100 fail in 4 decades of watching .

If the price is a concern , find an 1100 , or a Browning A-5 on the used market . Keep in mind the chokes might be fixed and they might not handle steel shot . Chambers were usually either 3" or 2 3/4 but not both , although with hevi-shot now nobody really needs 3" . You probably can find a LNIB 1100 for about $350 if you look a while . Good luck...Tom
Old January 15, 2005, 06:59 PM   #16
Hotbarrel

Check out the Weatherby SAS. I picked one up a month ago and have put just over 3 cases through it. It was $550 new with 3 chokes and 4 shims to adjust cast and drop yourself. It's made by Valtro and looks a little like an 1100 inside, but has a simpler action sleeve and piston with no O-rings, and a mag cutoff. It has good furniture and hand checkering, and is easy to take down and clean. At first it had trouble ejecting AA 1 oz. (Light Trap) loads, but now it's broken in and cycles them just fine. IMO this is an excellent shotgun bought at a good price.
Old January 16, 2005, 03:47 AM   #17
cedarsavage

Saiga.

taa,cs
Old January 16, 2005, 04:02 AM   #18
osirus101

cant beat the benelli tactical 90 Never had a problem with it thousands of rounds.
Old January 16, 2005, 05:44 PM   #19
notheultimateshooter

i heard 391's were bulletproof...

always nice to hear the other side to the story
Old September 6, 2005, 04:18 AM   #20
wrcraw1965

Diamond makes the Charles Daly Auto-loaders

Looks like Diamond makes them in Turkey. Been making guns for 40 years. Even some Charles Daly trap gun models include "Diamond" in the model names. The new Charles Daly auto-loaders must be from Diamond Mfg. since they are manufactured in Turkey and also look just like a "Diamond" shotgun with all the buttons in the same places, etc.

Bill
Old September 6, 2005, 08:01 AM   #21
HSMITH

Spend another $200 or so and get a quality gun. I would recommend the Winchester SuperX2. Like the guy above said, you get what you pay for.
Old September 6, 2005, 07:53 PM   #22
44rugerfan

The Charles Daly semi-auto is junk. I bought one, used it for about a month, and it would light-strike the primers. Just enough to make a dimple in the primer, not enough to set the thing off...very spooky when you clear it from the gun. I took it back to Wally world, they sent it in to the factory for rework. Came back three months later doing the same thing. Sold it cheap very soon after. Wouldn't touch another one. :barf:
Old September 6, 2005, 09:30 PM   #23
orionengnr

for semi's, Remington 1100 or 11-87

if you prefer pump, Remingtom 870.

Check gunbroker.com or gunsamerica.com or auctionarms.com. If you cannot find a decent one under $300, wait a week. Or two.

If I could afford to buy all the deals I see I couldn't afford the safes to keep them. If I could afford the safes, I'd run out of house and couldn't afford another of those

Life is full of dillemas...
Old September 6, 2005, 09:31 PM   #24
sm

There is hardly anything some man cannot make cheaper, and sell for less. Those whom buy based on price alone are this man's prey. John Ruskin

Me? I look for : OLDer USED Rem 1100s, Beretta 302, 303, Win Super X Model 1s, A5s...

Ask Larry - I think I found them all - and handled them all in Tulsa last April.
Old September 6, 2005, 09:42 PM   #25
InSoMNiaX23

I don't know the model number for sure, but I was at my local Walmart the other day and they had a Beretta semi-auto (the A3901???? not sure) in their display for I believe $399.99. It looked to be gas operated and if it is anything like what people have to say about the A391, that seems to be a pretty good price. I didn't see that model on their website, but you may want to ask if it is something that could be special ordered.