The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 3, 2013, 10:33 PM   #1
jbrown27

Thought I had best bang for the buck

I had a sig sauer sp2022 9mm. I paid 399 for it and it was a great gun. No problems and shot straight. Seen many people say it is best gun for the price and I believed that until now. The sig may be shelved and or traded off. I was at LGS and owner said to look at these Tristar brand pistols and I was really not interested. I saw the price and just figured they were bottom line entry pistols. He showed me a T-120 which was a baby eagle/CZ clone. Everything look great and at first glance looked like a very well made pistol. I went home and did some research and I could not find a negative review of any Tristar product. Which is made by Canik 55 out of turkey. They make CZ clones and by god they are damn good at it. I ended up taking the plunge and bought the t-120. 17 rounds and a alloy frame at $354 I would give it a shot and boy I am a happy shooter right now.

1st off the fit and finish on this gun is great. At this price I would expect marks and mistakes but not on these guns. Granted I got the blued version which I don't like as much at my glocks tennifer or the sigs nitron finish but I will be fine with it in the end. Tolerances are tight and everything fits snug and no rattles at all.

2nd and the best of all is the trigger. This DS/SA is fantastic. DA is not too heavy and half cocked is even better but in SA it is light and very crisp and not a lot of travel like the sigs sp2022. Gun with this trigger is far more accurate than my abilities. I just love this gun.

This gun is a very soft shooter and the rail fits my light and laser combo perfectly. I cannot say enough good about this pistol. I only have 200 rounds thru it so far with no problems but I don't foresee any problems.

With all this said I got a great fit and finish gun with an outstanding trigger that holds 17 rounds on a all alloy frame for $354. I strongly believe that this is the best value for the money in todays market. Don't sleep on the canik 55 made pistols. they know what they are doing and I see why the have made guns for nato and just glad I found these diamond in the rough now. I am looking to add a c-100 which is a CZ75c clone or a TP-9 which is a walther p99 clone very soon.

These are just one mans opinion but I just wanted to let everyone know that you don't have to settle on a average handgun in the 3 to 4 hundred dollar price range. Look and review for your self the tristar line and you wont be disappointed.
Tri Star T-120 Taurus TCP 738
Old September 3, 2013, 10:43 PM   #2
Southside830

IMO your SIG is probably a better value. That Tri-star will not hold any value. If you ever try to sell it you're gonna be lucky to get 250$. What about warranty? Otd you probably were around 400$ I would have much rather got a Glock, XD for 500$ but that's just me. I am not trying to sound condescending and I hope you enjoy your new firearm.
Old September 3, 2013, 10:54 PM   #3

I have the same pistol T-120 in matte chrome. The machine work, fit and finish is nice, especially at this price. Mine has no hiccups yet (only 300 rds). Only difference I see is the trigger. My T-120 has an extremely heavy D/A pull, the S/A pull is better but nothing to write home about. I purchased mine about 7-8 months ago, I wonder if the new ones are shipping with an improved Trigger?
Old September 4, 2013, 10:12 AM   #4
ritepath

Going to be hard to find a SA/DA hammer fired glock.

No one expects good resale value out of a budget gun....hell most don't expect reliability for that price.

Sounds like a fun hammer fired pistol on the cheap...I'll have to check one out.

Last edited by ritepath; September 4, 2013 at 10:43 AM.
Old September 4, 2013, 10:52 AM   #5
Fishbed77

Good luck finding spare parts and accessories for that Tri-Star.

Personally, I'd stick with the SIG.
Old September 4, 2013, 11:59 AM   #6
Kevin_d77

JBrown, check out Cajun Gun Works as they offer some drop in parts to help w the trigger. Also, the CZ form has a clone section where there is a ton of info regarding parts, accessories and other cool stuff. Enjoy it!
Old September 4, 2013, 12:46 PM   #7
Uncle Malice

Interesting. It actually looks like a pretty damn nice gun... I would be hesitant just due to them being a no-name brand... but by all appearances, it looks like a sweet gun.

http://youtu.be/CLEKykfd1dg
Old September 4, 2013, 02:17 PM   #8
jbrown27

Yes I know resale on Sig would be higher but I didn't buy it to sell it. I bought it to have something different to shoot. Its not taking the place of any other gun. Its just to take out back and shoot. I think my sp2022 is a great gun but I think at the current price of each gun the t-120 is better value. Plus tri star is just the importer. Gun made by cannik, which from everything I read, is known for making high quality pistols. I don't care if one gun says Sig and the other tri star. I bought for a range gun. It shoots great and functioned perfectly so far so I'm happy.
Tri Star T-120 Taurus TCP 738
Old September 4, 2013, 05:32 PM   #9
ritepath

You mean not every pistol isn't bought for BOB, tactical operations, or conceal carry? No way pip!
Old September 4, 2013, 06:09 PM   #10

I bought mine to replace a Jericho I unfortunately sold a ways back. These guns look just like the Jericho's of yore. Only slight diff. Are 1. Slightly longer bbl 4.7 vs 4.5 2. Has a rail. 3. Frame mounted safety 4. Comes with mec-gar mags
Old September 5, 2013, 05:41 AM   #11
papershoot

Canik55/Tristar

Don't let the naysayers get to you. I own 2 Tristar pistols and love them. They are accurate and have no feeding issues. Nice all metal guns. Good factory triggers. I think when people look back in time, they will wish they picked up some at today's prices. Some CZ fans rate these better than CZ's. Let people ponder resale value and pedigree, while you out shoot them with your inferior Turkey gun. Most of the negative comments will be from people dismissing a gun they don't know. How can it be any good for only $350?
Old September 5, 2013, 06:57 AM   #12
Uncle Malice

Quote:
Don't let the naysayers get to you. I own 2 Tristar pistols and love them. They are accurate and have no feeding issues. Nice all metal guns. Good factory triggers. I think when people look back in time, they will wish they picked up some at today's prices. Some CZ fans rate these better than CZ's. Let people ponder resale value and pedigree, while you out shoot them with your inferior Turkey gun. Most of the negative comments will be from people dismissing a gun they don't know. How can it be any good for only $350?
I didn't actually see any naysayers in this entire thread. People are rightfully cautious of pistol without much reputation, but that doesn't mean it's bad.
Old September 5, 2013, 07:11 AM   #13
loose_holster_dan

nice. looks like a cross between a baby eagle and an sp-01. if it shoots and handles anything like the sp-01, you got a steal there.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old September 5, 2013, 10:02 AM   #14
mes228

Tristar

Most people like H&K products. I know I do, and they are a fairly good product. I've read that the internals on H&K products are made in Turkey. As they have some of the most advanced machining capabilities available. If my aging memory serves me correct (don't bet on it!!! (grin) the company that makes TriStar products also makes some H&K parts (both long and short gun). So I suspect the products are quite good. I know I had a Tristar shotgun that was a gem and performed flawless.

As an aside. In today's world it's all about "specifications". If the specs are "right" and you make any manufacturer deliver to the specs. The product can be world class, even from Turkey & China. For example I have several H&K products made in China that are actually quite good (Tactical lights and Knives).
Old September 5, 2013, 11:10 AM   #15
Shadi Khalil

Quote:
Most people like H&K products. I know I do, and they are a fairly good product. I've read that the internals on H&K products are made in Turkey. As they have some of the most advanced machining capabilities available. If my aging memory serves me correct (don't bet on it!!! (grin) the company that makes TriStar products also makes some H&K parts (both long and short gun). So I suspect the products are quite good. I know I had a Tristar shotgun that was a gem and performed flawless.

As an aside. In today's world it's all about "specifications". If the specs are "right" and you make any manufacturer deliver to the specs. The product can be world class, even from Turkey & China. For example I have several H&K products made in China that are actually quite good (Tactical lights and Knives).
This is the first I've heard of HK internals being made in Turkey but maybe I'm wrong. Also, HK knives being made in China is also news to me.
Old September 5, 2013, 11:17 AM   #16
Uncle Malice

Quote:
HK knives being made in China is also news to me.
Same here. I thought Benchmade made all of the HK knives.
Old September 5, 2013, 05:47 PM   #17
papershoot

Tristar C-100

If you live in the South, you can pick up a black Tristar C-100 at Academy Sports for $329. They had them for $300 several months ago when I got mine. The gun is nice as it comes from the factory, but I wanted to play with mine so I added some upgrades. I got the Meps night sights made for the CZ compact (cheap on Ebay), some hardwood grips from an Ebay seller in Thailand, and a spring kit from Cajun Gun Works. CGW specializes in 1911s and CZs. There is a lot of detailed information about CZ clones on the original CZ forum/Clone Club.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (239.3 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (221.4 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (223.0 KB, 122 views)
Old September 5, 2013, 05:59 PM   #18
Kevin_d77

Which sights (model #) worked for the C100?
Old September 8, 2013, 06:49 PM   #19
dave9969

Hell I'm in SW FL
if you decide to ditch the Sig 2022 I love mine
let me know I can love 2 of them just as well
Old September 8, 2013, 08:25 PM   #20

I was at the new cabelas in lone tree fri night. I compared a sig pro to the p-95. Both good pistols. Not only did the Ruger feel more substantial it also had a tighter action. The sig rattled a bit. I picked up the Ruger with a stainless slide and 2 mags. $399.00
Old September 9, 2013, 01:30 PM   #21
mes228

H&K

I'm no expert, just a user and I read quite a bit. The H&K Combo Pack products are made in China (at least mine was). The combo pack is the MultiTool, Tactical Light, and folding knife. I think the PikaII is also China made. Other well known quality makers make many H&K products. Much like "Ralph Lauren" H&K is a brand made in several countries. Everything I've owned branded H&K was serviceable. My opinion is "if the specs are right, the product is right" no matter where it's made. Overall I try to buy American if it's possible and economically doable.
Old September 9, 2013, 09:07 PM   #22
Yung.gunr

My dad picked up one of those Caniks as well. I agree it looks and feels really nice. I also agree that for a while any resale value will not be much.

Not sure about the HK internals, but I have one of the HK branded folding knives and says right on it "China". It's probably one of my favorite knives. I feel the quality is right up there with more expensive brands, but a fraction of the price.
Old September 11, 2013, 06:59 AM   #23
Dead

NIB Ruger P95 can be had for about 290. Includes (2) 15 round 9mm mags
Old September 12, 2013, 01:16 AM   #24

New P-95 for $290.00 Got a link? I'll take another. I'm assuming that's for a blue slide model. plus Shipping and FFL fee. Yes? Best price I've seen on G.B. for a stainless model was around $330.00 plus Fees, puts you up around $390.00.
Old September 12, 2013, 05:07 AM   #25
Pico

HS2000

I remember seeing the HS2000 on sale for $300 before Springfield snapped it up and sold it as the XD for $250 more. This could happen again with the Tristar Canik.

Pico