The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 20, 2013, 11:00 PM   #26
Alabama Shooter

The big clunky ones like the Berretta 92? How about the Bren Ten and the S&W 645?
Old April 21, 2013, 04:06 AM   #27
cheezhed

I have a Jennings plated .22 that I think is iconic in its own little way.
Old April 21, 2013, 06:18 AM   #28
thedudeabides

The original P220, then the P225, P228 (and later the P226 and P229) are the great and unappreciated guns of the modern area.

In an era of striker fired plastic guns these are the "evolved" modern, metal frame hammer-fired guns that don't subscribe to the tupperware fad, and maintain that single action is a GOOD thing.

But, as others have said, the 1911 didn't start to get popular again until recently and they are as good of a choice (if not better) as any other semi on the market today.
Old April 21, 2013, 10:01 AM   #29
Alabama Shooter

Quote:
But, as others have said, the 1911 didn't start to get popular again until recently and they are as good of a choice (if not better) as any other semi on the market today.
Mostly true. Our local department just switched back to custom 1911's after running Glocks for many years. Police shootings are so rare in our county that capacity has never been an issue that I know of.
Old April 22, 2013, 11:38 PM   #30
'88Scrat

Iconic or most recognizable to your everyday Joe Shmoe?

If its a modern icon (according to shooters) you're after then Glock (like it or not) or some other striker fired pistol like the Springfield XD line is probably the winner.

If its simply the most recognizable to the public it would have to be something like a Desert Eagle or S&W 500. I would also throw the good ol' 1911 in there, everyone knows what they look like. Like others in this thread have said the 1911 will never die.

Just my $0.02
Old April 22, 2013, 11:51 PM   #31
El Bango

THE HI-POINT???
Old April 23, 2013, 03:23 AM   #32
simonrichter

Quote:
If its a modern icon (according to shooters) you're after then Glock (like it or not) or some other striker fired pistol like the Springfield XD line is probably the winner.

If its simply the most recognizable to the public it would have to be something like a Desert Eagle or S&W 500. I would also throw the good ol' 1911 in there, everyone knows what they look like. Like others in this thread have said the 1911 will never die.
Making a good point there... I guess we have to distinguish between guns recognized by actual users for their novelty (polymer, striker, first mini 9mm, PDW caliber etc.) or their reputation and history as duty guns (M9, 1911, SIG Sauer) versus those recognized merely due to their appearance in movies, video games etc. while their quantity of use among actual shooters is neglectable (Desert Eagle, FiveSeven...). Both types can be considered "iconic" in their own way.

Anyway the discussion shows that this issue is highly subjective and I guess we'd get as many different answers as there are users if we'd ask everyone.
Old April 23, 2013, 03:56 AM   #33
ClydeFrog

Maniac Cop II...

I saw the B movie classic: Maniac Cop II last weekend on Direct TV & the main character buzzed thru a police station with a Calico 9x19mm SMG.

For you youngsters, the Calico SMG & the street legal semi-auto pistol version, was a 9x19mm(9mm Luger) that used polymer drums or containers holding 50-100 rounds, .
The weapon was not light but it was handy in CQB or SWAT ops.
I remember gun writer & SWAT tactics expert; Gary Paul Johnson doing a few early 1990s write-ups about the Calico. His SMG had white lights lasers turn-signals etc .

.22LR Calico weapons were also produced.
Fun fact: if you see the hit comedy; Spaceballs, watch the ray guns the bad use. Those are the .22LR rifles.

Little is known about Calico. Like the more recent KRISS .45acp SMG, it just never really took off with US law enforcement or security professionals.

CF
Old April 23, 2013, 04:09 AM   #34
CurlyQ.Howard

Is this just for America? If not then the CZ75 cannot be ignored.
Old April 23, 2013, 04:35 AM   #35
Theohazard

Quote:
Hawg Haggen posted
Glock iconic? It shouldn't even be mentioned in the same room with the other guns listed
The Glock was the first successful polymer frame pistol. It is the gun that prompted a huge number of law enforcement agencies (and many civilians) to change from revolvers to semi-autos. The Glock design of a polymer frame with no manual safety, a partially-cocked striker, and a trigger with an anti-snag safety, has been fully or partially copied by almost every manufacturer.

It's fine if you don't like the Glock design, but saying its not iconic is a little ridiculous.
Old April 23, 2013, 05:36 AM   #36
simonrichter

Quote:
It's fine if you don't like the Glock design, but saying its not iconic is a little ridiculous.
100% agreed. The Glock is iconic both in terms of being the harbinger of the subsequent "polymer + striker"-boom and also being one of the favorite movie guns (Die Hard, and onward...) It is not only often shown, but also often mentioned (as the "x-ray-invisible plastic gun", at the beginning ) and has somewhat coined the public perception of a modern or even "futuristic" pistol.
Old April 23, 2013, 07:47 AM   #37
Skans

Smith & Wesson 59 series guns - mainly the stainless 2nd and 3rd generation guns.

Also, the Beretta 92.
Old April 23, 2013, 09:04 AM   #38
johnwilliamson062

In the US the LCP. For blue collar CCWers it seems to be the icon of CCW. NOt shooters, but CCWers who aren't shooters(which is most CCWers). At least it seems that way around me.
Old April 24, 2013, 01:16 PM   #39
csmsss

I personally don't care for the design or execution, but I think the Springfield XD series deserves mention in this discussion.
Old April 24, 2013, 05:59 PM   #40
ClydeFrog

Post #17...

I put up the S-A XD/XDm pistols... .

ClydeFrog
Old April 24, 2013, 07:19 PM   #41
GyMac

I think the S&W Models 39/59 were also important, at least to this country.
Old April 25, 2013, 05:33 PM   #42
Gaerek

We're talking iconic right? Not innovative, what I like, or what's popular, correct? In the "Glock Era" the most iconic gun is a Glock. It's defined firearms for the last 25 years. It's the most popular LEO gun out there. When the 6 o'clock news talks about the latest shooting, the image to the right of the anchors head is likely a Glock. Heck, someone in the past few months posted pictures that came from the covers of his James Bond movies that had Sean Connery holding a gun that didn't even exist when the movie came out. Can you guess what gun it was? A Glock! No PPK in sight. I'm guessing the artist was told to draw Sean Connery with a handgun, and found an image of Glock that would work. Speaking of movies, there's probably no single gun manufactured in the past 25 years that's had more screen time than a Glock. Of this, I could be wrong, but it seems every time I watch a movie that has a gunfight, there's a Glock in there somewhere.

Let's not forget that 25 years ago, Glock was basically the only manufacturer of polymer, striker fired guns. Today, almost every major manufacturer produces at least one model that fits that description. No company has had more of an impact on the handgun industry in the past quarter century than Glock.

Whether you like Glocks or not, there's really no doubt about what the most iconic pistol of the past 25 years or so is. It's gotta be Glock 17, for better or worse.
Old April 26, 2013, 09:37 AM   #43
csmsss

Quote:
I put up the S-A XD/XDm pistols... .

ClydeFrog
Oops. Missed that. Sorry Clyde! I'll step off your lily pad now.
Old April 26, 2013, 10:37 AM   #44
Fishbed77

Walther P99.

Not only is it possibly the best of all the Tupperware nines, it's garnered a bit of screen time thanks to a certain secret agent.

Old April 26, 2013, 11:04 AM   #45
Tactical Jackalope

Glock 17 & 19

Parts are also available everywhere. Used by tons of different LE agencies.

Rayaln Givens in Justified too...lol