The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 8, 2011, 09:37 AM   #1
poline

Case gauge

L. E. Wilson Case Length Headspace Gage 308 Winchester. Has anyone in the forum used this product, if so, what did you think of it?
Old February 8, 2011, 11:20 AM   #2
Incognito

I have a L.E. Wilson for .223, and a Lyman for .308 (simply because I couldn't find a Wilson at the time), but they're both the same.

Once you've full-length sized a case, the gauge will allow you to determine if the case is within SAMMI specifications. You simply drop the case in and if the head doesn't protrude past the marks on the gauge, you're good to go. You can also use it to determine overall length, though I prefer calipers for that.

Personally, I think it's an indispensable tool. It only takes a second to check a couple of cases with the gauge and make sure your dies are set up properly.
Old February 8, 2011, 11:24 AM   #3
Jim243

I use the L E Wilson 223 gauge it works well and solved my problems..

Jim
Old February 8, 2011, 12:12 PM   #4
amamnn

I have three of them. They work just the way Wilson says they should. They do not give exact headspace and COAL dimensions (as measured at the ogive) like the RCBS precision mic or the Redding instant indicator. If all you need to know is that the case is within SAAMI specs for headspace and trim length the Wilson is fine and less expensive, as I recall.
Old February 8, 2011, 12:33 PM   #5
Chinny33

its fantastic.

i use it as a "fail-safe" for brass. just because the brass looks nice and shiny w/o visible flaws doesn't make it usable.

after i tumble and re-size and deprime the case, i throw the brass into the gauge and if it fits nice, it goes to be trimmed and loaded. if it doesn't fit, i re-size again or even sometimes small base re-size. then i put the brass into the gauge again. if it does not fit again, it gets thrown away.

for me it tells me if the brass is a correct size to be loaded. ive tested and thrown brass that didnt fit into the gauge into a chamber slowly and it was clear it just did not fit at all.

I purchased case gauges for every single caliber i reload. its an invaluable tool.

its easy assume that just because the brass fit into your gun before you fired it, does not mean its going to fit in it again even after resizing it.
Proverbs 27:12
Old February 8, 2011, 12:38 PM   #6
BRAVO1NINER

Is a case length gauge the same dimensions as the chamber...I'm having a bitch of a problem with my .223 brass. I size and decap and then after cleaning the goo off the brass I drop into a barrel...some drop in and out, others stick...If I do the same with the case gauge, it is fine....

WTH is going on????

BRAVO1NINER
Old February 8, 2011, 01:35 PM   #7
wncchester

Any of the Wilson type cartridge gages can show if a loaded cartridge meets SAAMI specs, meaning it will chamber and fire in any weapon ever made for that carrtidge. That can be a good thing, but....one of the reasons I prefer to "handload" (as opposed to "reload") my ammo is that I can custom taylor ammo to match my specific weapon. I really couldn't care less if my ammo works in anyone else's chamber, I want it to work perfectly in MINE! For that, I need and use RCBS' Precision Case Mics and StoneyPoint/Hornady case tools on my 6" dial caliper for my rifle ammo.

I ONLY use Wilson/Lyman/Midway case gages on handgun ammo. I sometimes allow others to use my handgun ammo but I NEVER allow others to use my rifle ammo unless they are firing it in my rifles.
Old February 9, 2011, 10:59 AM   #8
poline

Thanks, fellows for the imput, thank you very much.