The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 28, 2010, 01:26 PM   #1
kennymauser

Japan/SKB Weatherby SAS value???

Hi, I have been asked to sell a Weatherby semi-auto shotgun for a divorced lady that needs the money.It is camouflaged and is in excellent condition and has been fired no more than 20 rounds. It is a 12 ga. with a 26" barrel and comes with 5 choke tubes.
I have found values for this shotgun that was made in Italy and now Turkey, but no luck on the Japanese made shotguns. I am guessing the gun is a SKB made shotgun because it is made in Japan.
I don't have the original box (she can't find it) & her ex-husband cut the stock and added a Decellerator pad so now the LOP is 13 1/2"
I know it cost them quite a bit of money, but I am needing an opinion as to what you members think would be a realistic price to place on it.
Any replies would be appreciated,
Thanks,
Ken
Old October 28, 2010, 01:38 PM   #2
oneounceload

The cut stock will reduce value somewhat, unless you can find a buyer looking for something for their kid.

If you go to GunBroker.com, AuctionArms.com, GunsAmerica.com or similar - look at CLOSED auctions for what they really sold for. Also look at GunsInternational.com - NOT an auction site, just a sales site.
Old October 28, 2010, 02:34 PM   #3
kennymauser

oneounceload,
Thanks for the quick reply. I didn't think of trying the closed ads. I will do that!
Yeh, the cut stock will definitely affect the value. I also think the original box would help if she would just look for it!!! It is in storage I guess!
Thanks again,
Ken
Old October 28, 2010, 02:45 PM   #4
BigJimP

As experience would have it ...I even know where Columbus, MT is ( west of Billings ) ...because I grew up in Montana ( near Kalispell )... but anyway ...

Condition is a big thing on used guns ...and cut down like OneOunce advised - is a problem.

You said he paid a lot for it / not sure what that meant ...but I think the used value / if its in pretty good shape $ 250 - $ 400 is probably all you'll get. The box isn't a big deal - this gun is a "shooters gun" not a collectors piece / and while buyers will say they'd pay you more if you had a box ...I'm not sure they really mean it ...
Old October 28, 2010, 02:49 PM   #5
oneounceload

Agree with Jim on the box - I think some folks tend to believe a seller more as to being the original owner if the box is included on a shooter gun. Collectibles are another story, where every bit of documentation can add considerably
Old October 28, 2010, 03:13 PM   #6
kennymauser

BigJimP,
Hunting season is upon us here in the Big Sky Country--you know what that is like

I just thought the box would help explain that the shotgun wasn't made in Turkey or Italy which I think would show that it was made by SKB which is better know for their guns! (at least in my opinion)!
I have already warned her that it wouldn't bring more than $350-$400, with the butt-stock alteration. I also think she and her ex-husband also paid high retail for it.
I just checked a few sites, and none of them show the Japanese made SAS and the new Turk models can be bought for $499.00!!!
So, thanks guys for the help and suggestions, I think they are right on!!
Ken

PS, I think I will go out for an afternoon hunt for a big buck Mulie or a cow Elk--(no either sex tag)
Old October 28, 2010, 03:26 PM   #7
BigJimP

I do know what that's like ...and once in a while I miss it ...( but I'm just a city guy, living comfortably outside Seattle now for the last 25 yrs ..) ...but I took my share of deer, elk, black bear and a couple of moose out of the Flathead valley when I was younger. Good luck to you / shoot straight and be safe !

Tell her good luck on selling that gun too / maybe a few hundred bucks will help her out ! I don't think hanging onto it / or trying to find a different stock - will really make much difference in the value anyway ....

I don't want to anger any Weatherby owners on the forum - but despite the legendary Weatherby name ....its just not a high end shotgun...
Old October 29, 2010, 08:39 AM   #8
oneounceload

Quote:
but despite the legendary Weatherby name ....its just not a high end shotgun...
Not any more at least. There was a time old Roy insisted on high-end makers, but those days are gone - much like Charles Daly