The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 25, 2005, 05:58 PM   #1
artsmom

12 gauge 3 1/2" killing off the 10 gauge?

I am somewhat new here, so I wonder if this topic has been beaten to death several times already. Anyhow, here goes:

I have heard that the 10 gauge (3 1/2") is now superfluous due to the 12 gauge 3 1/2". The long 12 supposedly does everything that the 10 gauge does, but also shoots any other 12 gauge shell, making the 10 gauge an anachronism.

I am willing to concede versatility, but it seems when we are looking at top end performance, anything done to a 12 gauge 3 1/2" could be done to the 10 gauge 3 1/2", except the 10 will always have a .045" diameter advantage.
Then again, how important is .045"?

Would anyone buying a new turkey or goose gun choose a ten gauge?

Appreciate all comments, I don't have a solid opinion either way.

I will say most hunters can't wring all of the potential out of a box of AA trap loads, but we tend to try and buy our skills with those magic shells with all of those performance enhancing ingredients. Hevi-shot misses, too. I know.
Old February 25, 2005, 08:42 PM   #2
kudu

There will always be a niche for the 10ga, but the super12 seems to be taking over for most of those that have never had the opportunity to use a good 10ga. And the versatility of the 'shoots all size shells' has appeal to those on a budget and can't afford a dedicated goose or waterfowl or turkey gun.
Old February 26, 2005, 08:59 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

A dedicated waterfowler shooting the heavy loads needed should run heavy. I'd go for a minumum of 8.5 lbs. Big goose loads, make it 9 or more.

Such a piece is not the best quail gun and would strike the owner as too darn heavy 3 ridges away from the truck.

I'm not fond of the one gun for everything syndrome. And, I find 3" loads adequate for my use. I understand the economics behind the big 12 but regard the compromise big 12 as not as good for everything as purpose builts.

The goose gun here is an 870 with long barrel and a MC stock. It comes in about 8.5 bs.

My upland gun is another 870 with 26" LC barrel and less lumber. It weighs just over 7 lbs. Used with field and target loads, it's a soft shooter and easier to tote. Even with new barrels, I've less than $300 in either.
Old February 26, 2005, 01:23 PM   #4
BLKLABMAN

The 10ga does have it's niche. For goose hunting with heavy steel loads the 10ga is great for payload and pattern density. I have a BPS 10ga and used for goose hunting and to back up clients when I did guided. I will still use it from time to time.
However the 10ga is a one dimensional shotgun. It's heavy, weighing in at around 11 punds loaded. It makes a poor duck gun in Timber, and certainly cannot be used to chase quail.
Turkey hunting?? I've took mine 3 times, dragging it over hill and dale in these mountains. Never again.
The 10ga is nice to have and to say that you have one, but it is not needed. My wife duck/gooses hunts with a Benelli M1 20ga with Kent Tungsten Matrix 3" #3's. The ballistics on these loads outperform 99% of the factory 12ga 3.5 steel loads. By a wide margin.
Inside 40 yards she will turn a Giant Canada inside out with these loads. This has been proven in several states here in the U.S. and Alberta.
Nowdays I much prefer shooting a Benelli SBE II or Merkel 477 loaded with Kent TM 3" #1's or Hevi-shot 3" and 2 3/4 #4's fired thru a SRM Terror .675 or a Briley X2 LM.
Fact is this.
I dont believe in the one gun for everything theory, but....
Unless you reload, the factory 12ga 3.5 and 10ga 3.5 loads are so close to one another that it is hard to see the difference. Loads such as 12ga 3" Kent TM and Hevi-Shot now hit harder than any 10ga factory load.
Buy a 10ga if you want one. They are fun to shoot. But with the loads out there today, a 12ga 3" or 3.5 is simply a better option.
Old February 27, 2005, 08:01 PM   #5
artsmom

The new Hevi-Shot, even newer Heavyweight shot from Federal, the old Tungtsen Iron, Tungsten Matrix, Bismuth, and even the high velocity steel loads have knocked down some of the need to go to a bigger shell to offset the No Lead mandates from the Feds.

However, it seems goose populations are exploding, so instead of going back to 3" 12 gauge shells with more effective loads, most will incorporate the new loads and shot into the big shells to get the best of both worlds, as more people are getting geese in places where even a flock sighted would have been new 10-15 years ago.

Hevi-Shot has already put out the world that their raw material prices have increased 257% in the last year, so look for any shells with Tungsten to go through the roof, so steel and Bismuth might have a big price edge this next season.