The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 7, 2002, 11:53 PM   #1
Bull Barrell

Lady Luck smiled on me again...

Been in the market for a shotgun. I don't bird hunt or shoot clays, as I don't own a shotgun. I just wanted one. I don't have to explain that here, do I?
I figured I'd start with a Mossy 500 and get to know shotguns a bit, then move up to something better, as a friend who used to be a ranked trap shooter said he could "show me what not to do" if I wanted to start shooting trap.

Well, that's when Lady Luck stepped in.
A friend bought an 870 Express about 5 years ago. He brought it home, and put it away. Periodically, he took it out, fondled and cleaned and oiled it, and put it away. Bought a case, a cleaning kit and plenty of ammo.
He never fired it.
He took it out one day recently and decided he wasn't going to need or use it, and he offered everything to me for $250.
I'm picking up my new shotgun this week.
Old July 8, 2002, 05:01 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Congrats on the 870, Bull. Now go shoot it until it feels like a body part, not a tool. Use the lightest shells you can find until you get used to it.

HTH....
Old July 19, 2002, 04:24 AM   #3
Bull Barrell

Thanks, Dave.
Picked up the 870, along with the Browning case (!), cleaning kit, bore brush, bore snake, and box of 2-3/4 game loads.
Went with my son to an outdoor range in Va. Beach (GREAT folks run the place) and ran about 20 rounds through it, not really trying to do anything other than familiarize myself with it. Glad I didn't go with the Mossy, as the 870 feels tighter and seems to fit me better. I think I'm going to like it a lot.
As much recoil as there is from it, my shoulder is none the worse for wear-much unlike the day I fired a friend's Model 11 one day. Now THAT thing kicks.
Now to get some light target loads and waste a few clays! Not waste them as in hitting them, but not hitting them! LOL
Old July 19, 2002, 04:37 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

You're welocme, Bull, and congrats. A coupla things...

There's a thread on proper mounting techniques in the Archives that may prove helpful.

Stick to 1 oz, low brass loads until you've got your form right.Heavy loads are counter productive for tyros until they get their fit and form right.

On days when you're not shooting, make a point of handling your 870 anyway. Pick it up, mount it, etc. Of course, you're doing this with a weapon KNOWN to be unloaded, and in a room separate from where the ammo is.

Good luck, and if there's questions, sing out...
Old July 20, 2002, 06:12 AM   #5
blades67

Where can I find friends like that?

Lots of practice and remember to follow through.

I hunt, therefore I am.