The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 11, 2019, 08:57 PM   #51
Cosmodragoon

Beretta PX4 Storm. It might be the softest shooting option with a polymer frame. The ergonomics are good. For carry though, you really need to install the low-profile levers.
Old December 13, 2019, 05:41 AM   #52
dontcatchmany

Sorry I did not see your post any sooner.

The Shield 40 is a joy to shoot. I am not bothered with any flip or recoil.

The Shield 40 went from a zero to a hero by putting the Apex Duty/Carry trigger kit in it. It is a 1.0 version of the Shield and the trigger WAS horrible, making the gun hard to shoot with any accuracy (i wanted to throw it in the trash can...lol). Now it is very accurate.
Old December 13, 2019, 01:54 PM   #53
S&W-Keeper

Mine would be a SIG 229 in s semi-auto, and a S&W 646 in a revolver.
Old December 15, 2019, 08:38 PM   #54
Kevin Rohrer

Gunsite-Browning HP.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old December 15, 2019, 08:50 PM   #55
Eric 53

Beretta Storm. Bought one recently that was a police trade in. It's a soft shooter and I liked it so much I ordered another one.
Old December 15, 2019, 09:24 PM   #56
reap

I love the 40... have a USP 40 compact with LEM that is great. Rebuilt a Beretta 96 centurion with every Wilson Combat upgrade I could install... but the one I like bet is the Springfield Armory EMP in 40.

Recoil has never been an issue for me with this caliber... always will be the one I go to. Not the fastest and not the heaviest but the perfect balance. Kind of the light heavyweight of handgun calibers.
Old December 16, 2019, 12:14 AM   #57
doofus47

Walther p99. Great gun in any caliber.
Old December 16, 2019, 12:50 AM   #58
bamaranger

Hi Power

My only .40SW is a Hi Power. When purchased, the .40 was a new item, and as at that time, I had little confidence in the 9mm as a fighting cartridge, yet still admired the HP for its history and appearance. When the .40 became available, it was an easy choice.

My acceptance of the 9mm has altered some, but I am still glad I bought a HP in .40. Not really common, a Browning design (for the most part) and mine has proven accurate and reliable.
Old December 16, 2019, 08:41 AM   #59
IAhunter

Glock 27 and Glock 22, my EDC and HD guns.
Old December 18, 2019, 11:06 AM   #60
Wheelgun

My current favorite for shooting is probably my M&P 40 Performance Center ported model. It is just a sweet shooter. My only problem with it is I need to find a holster that protects the magazine release. I stopped carrying it because the mag release is extremely easy to press. As a result, I have had a couple accidental magazine releases while holstered.

My old favorite was a BHP .40, and I agree with other comments that it is a very nice pistol.

On my list to try in are a Sig 229 DAK and a S&W 4006TSW. I had the opportunity to try a 9mm 229DAK during a course at the Sig Academy, and really liked the pistol. I've also always loved the 3rd Gen S&W pistols.

FWIW, In addition to the aforementioned M&P and BHP; I have owned a G22, G27, M&P40c, and a Rugerr KP94 (my first 40).

YMMV
Old December 18, 2019, 10:35 PM   #61
sparkyv

SIG P320 Full size
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _IMG_000000_000000.jpg (161.9 KB, 279 views)

Last edited by sparkyv; December 18, 2019 at 10:42 PM.
Old December 19, 2019, 07:41 AM   #62
Old 454

My son bought the CZ TSO In 40 S&W.
Its ungodly.... now i got to buy one
Old December 20, 2019, 08:19 PM   #63
the45er

I own the following 40’s:

Springfield Armory EMP
FN FNX
S&W M&P Compact
Glock 23
Para Ordinance LDA

My favorite is my FN. That pistol is deadly accurate and it ha never jammed on me. Hard combination to beat!
Old December 20, 2019, 10:07 PM   #64
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelgun View Post
My current favorite for shooting is probably my M&P 40 Performance Center ported model. It is just a sweet shooter. My only problem with it is I need to find a holster that protects the magazine release. I stopped carrying it because the mag release is extremely easy to press. As a result, I have had a couple accidental magazine releases while holstered.
I've had that happen with other handguns. Sometimes, you have to move things, lift things, squeeze around things and that button can get pressed. Usually, it just disconnects and you notice in time to click it back into place. Once, while carrying IWB and doing some work in the kitchen, I managed to eject a full magazine out onto the floor. That was awesome...

I don't care that it's the most common type of release by a huge margin, or that semi-autos I carry use them. I've come to view button releases that can be depressed by pushing up against something as a design flaw.

I prefer the longer paddle releases on the Walther P99 and PPS M1. There is no button to press. The paddle rides into the holster. With even a tiny amount of practice, they are easy to use and don't require repositioning.
Old December 21, 2019, 01:16 PM   #65
Jack19

Browning Hi-Power is the only answer to this question.
Old December 21, 2019, 03:05 PM   #66
Forte S+W

I'm surprised by all the praise of the Hi-Power. Don't get me wrong, I know that it's a fantastic firearm, but I never would have imagined that such an old design would shoot well with a more modern cartridge such as the .40 S&W, especially when so many other firearms which were essentially converted from 9mm to .40 generally tend to have issues.

One of these days I would like to get myself a Browning Hi-Power, but last I heard they were out of production.
Old December 21, 2019, 03:30 PM   #67
chaim

My favorite .40S&W, I'd have to think about that...

The first I shot was a .40S&W SIG P239 (I was shooting my S&W 65LS and a cop in the next stall at the range was shooting his off duty P239, he had never shot a .357mag and I had never shot .40 or a SIG so we shot about half a box of ammo from the other person's gun). It was a sweet shooter and I fell in love with the thing, and it performed like a full sized gun. But, back then, a SIG was well out of my budget (the metal framed SIGs are still a bit tough on a teacher salary). Later, well... There are much smaller guns with similar 9mm or .40S&W capacity, and most guns that size have much greater capacity, so it didn't make any rational sense (but I still want one and probably will eventually buy one).

My first .40 was a CZ 40B. I hadn't yet warmed to the caliber, and I didn't expect to own very many guns, so I sold it to make room for something else (I constantly kick myself over that decision). Not sure where it would land on the list. I love CZs, and have good memories of the gun, but didn't keep it long enough to really know.

The one I had/have had the longest is my Taurus PT140 Millennium Pro. However, it hasn't worked for several years and definitely isn't my favorite (though it was the first that I really liked, as I had it once I started to like the caliber).

I really like my S&W M&P40c. Great platform, shoots like a bigger/full sized gun, holds 10 rounds in a flush mag and 15 in an extended mag, and it is quite accurate and reliable.

Though, I think my favorite is the SIG P229. I had one some years ago, but unfortunately had to sell it when I needed the money more than I needed the gun. It was an absolute dream: comfortable to shoot all day, no bobbles ever, very accurate, and very well built. I missed it for years, until last Spring I finally replaced it with a fairly beat up used 229 I found at a great price.
Old December 21, 2019, 04:02 PM   #68
Wheelgun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forte S+W View Post
...<snip> I never would have imagined that such an old design would shoot well with a more modern cartridge such as the .40 S&W, especially when so many other firearms which were essentially converted from 9mm to .40 generally tend to have issues.
Browning redesigned and beefed up the 9mm Hi-Power for the .40 S&W cartridge. From what I remember, they changed the way frames were made to increase strength, beefed up the slide, and added a third locking lug. The recoil spring was quite heavy as well.

I've only shot a Hi-Power in 40, but fans of the 9mm have said that the modifications to accommodate the 40S&W altered the way the gun feels and balances. All I know is that I did enjoy it in 40S&W.

YMMV,
Wheelgun
Old December 21, 2019, 09:43 PM   #69
Forte S+W

@Wheelgun
Most 9mm firearms were eventually modified dimensionally to compensate for the inherent subsequent loss in material that comes with rechambering a firearm for a cartridge which is roughly 1mm larger in diameter. However, such modifications aren't always successful because it takes more than that to make a firearm designed specifically for one particular cartridge to work with an entirely different cartridge with far more to differentiate it it from the other than its external dimensions.

In other words, FN must have known what they were doing, and clearly put a lot more effort into adapting the Hi-Power for .40 S&W than most other manufacturers.

See, most firearms manufacturers aren't willing to put the necessary funds into R&D to successfully modify a pistol designed for 9mm Luger to function nominally with the .40 S&W cartridge. Why? Because they only bothered to chamber in .40 S&W for the sake of profit, not because they actually cared to produce a high quality firearm.
Honestly, notice how few firearms manufacturers are offering new designs chambered in .40 S&W since the cartridge was dropped by Law Enforcement and subsequently declined in popularity with civilians as well?

So yeah, for FN to actually put in the effort to redesign a 9mm pistol, especially one as old as the Hi-Power which obviously has higher production costs and requires greater precision, when most other companies put in the absolute bare minimum of effort, content with their firearm to function "good enough" with little or no concern to how well it actually shoots or how well it holds up to a steady diet of .40 S&W. Well, that just goes to show that they actually have passion towards their profession, they're not just another cold, soulless corporation in which everything they do is; "strictly business" and exists solely for the sake of profit.
Old December 21, 2019, 09:47 PM   #70
sparkyv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack19 View Post
Browning Hi-Power is the only answer to this question.
...but this answer bites!
Old December 22, 2019, 08:25 AM   #71
HistoryJunky

You all are making me reconsider my lack of .40SW pistols. The deals going on them right now are looking at me hard.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old December 22, 2019, 10:49 AM   #72
hodaka

The only 40 I own is a Walther PPQ. Once I moved the mag release to the right I love it. Accurate, great trigger and never skips a beat.
Old December 22, 2019, 02:48 PM   #73
Forte S+W

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryJunky
You all are making me reconsider my lack of .40SW pistols. The deals going on them right now are looking at me hard.
Now is most certainly the time to buy a .40. They're cheap, highly available, and in relatively low demand.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, even if you hate .40 S&W, you'd have to be a fool not to take advantage of these deals considering just how easily/inexpensively a .40 can be converted to a 9mm, and the fact that there will most likely be another ammo shortage soon provides a good reason to have the option of shooting a less popular cartridge.

Even if you don't want to spend much money at all, their are some very cheap deals out there. I found a S&W SW40VE at my LGS in like new condition for $199, and I actually know a guy who found the newer model SD40VE for $175. Sure, they're value-priced guns, but getting a S&W for the price of a Hi-Point when they usually run anywhere from $250 to $330 depending on the model, that's one heck of a savings.
Old December 23, 2019, 03:17 AM   #74
WVfishguy

I love my Springfield XDm in .40. I also have a S&W SW40VE which has a trigger job and shoots like a well-used Glock. But my favorite medium size pistol is a Steyr M40!
Old December 23, 2019, 03:26 AM   #75
Aguila Blanca
Staff

CZ-40B
Jeepaholic