The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 15, 2019, 01:20 AM   #1
kmw1954

HK VP9??

I just inherited one of these nice pistol and am happy to have it. Only it is quite different than all the other 9mm I have and the 45acp's.

It is much larger in size over-all as is the grip. Which right now feels a little uncomfortable. Also the sights seem smaller and dark compared to my other guns. I was having trouble lining up the target with it at first.

My time was limited with this gun yesterday and was only able to put about 40 rounds thru it. With the last mag the group tightened up but was off to the left and a bit high.

As this is quite different than everything else I have about how long does one take to adjust to a very different gun?

I haven't looked yet but I think the different grip panels are in the box.
Old November 15, 2019, 06:08 AM   #2
Siggy-06

The VP9’s grip is fully modular to fit your hand. Find the panels that work best for you. Look into adding some fiber optic sights as well for better sight acquisition.
Old November 15, 2019, 08:10 AM   #3
Ben Dover

Definitely add the fiber optic sights. The VP9 is one of the really great pistols.

Get to know it and you;ll love it.

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old November 15, 2019, 06:59 PM   #4
10-96

I have a VP9 as well. Man, I love that thing! Mine didn't come with night sights, and they were a booger to install due to the kinda triangular shape of the slide. I'm very tickled with it, but I screwed up and bought it right about the same time I bought a CZ P10C. I shoot the P10 better- as in, I manage better groups with the P10 and thus carry it daily. I do love the VP9 though.

About how long does one take to adjust to a very different firearm? Man, that's a tough question. There's so many variables... Like, How often do you shoot? What's your current shooting experience overall? How well do you adapt to changes? Health issues such as eyesight issues or arthritis? Will you have any shooting buddies available to help spot for you and offer critique or pointers? Hopefully, it won't take you long. And I hope you enjoy that pistol- it's sure enough a great one! Have fun!

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old November 15, 2019, 09:44 PM   #5
kmw1954

I looked into the box to find the gun has the medium grip parts on it from the factory and the large and small grips are in the box.

I think I am going to try shooting it a few more times before I try a change to the smaller grips. Also found out it has glow type sights and was dark because it is kept in a carpet zip case. So there too I will next try to get it into some bright light before I shoot it.
Old November 15, 2019, 09:51 PM   #6
Mosin44az

As others have stated, grip is more adjustable than any other pistol, so you should find something that works.

I sold my VP9 for a different reason: the silly “trench” HK dug below the trigger, apparently to make the trigger guard vertically shorter. A serious ergonomic screw-up in my opinion, causing pinching unless you make sure to put your finger high on the trigger. No thanks
Old November 22, 2019, 02:13 AM   #7
BourbonCowboy

Congrats! You've got one of the best striker-fired pistols currently made. If I were in your shoes, I'd sit down with a small punch and figure out exactly which side panel and backstrap combination fit my hand best. IMO, that's the starting point. After that, shoot it...a lot. That's what I did with mine...and my VP9sk as well.

If you like it, then you can start to mod/upgrade it. Both of my pistols have the Lobos trigger mods (to make a good trigger even better), the enhanced aluminum firing pin support sleeve (because I felt the need to waste $20), and Advanced Design Speed Sights.

The VP9 was designed to shoot 124g NATO rounds, so that's what I train with and carry. However, these pistols will eat anything, and I've never had a problem with a FTE, FTF, or failure to return to battery. They just work - and work well.