The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old January 15, 2002, 04:57 PM   #1
1redneck

Give a little sugar to the kids

You guys run a first rate forum and a great magazine. Thank you for the no doubt long hours and hard work that goes into them.

I have one well meaning piece of advice. In the magazine and maybe in the foruom come up with a well put to gethered and continual spot dedicated for kids. It would be incredible for them, great for the sport and good for buisness. I realy believe somthing like this could be very succsesfull. Every body involved in this sport/lifestyle feels youth involvment is great but there is suprisingly little in the gun/hunting magazines and web sites. With the incredible amount of hunters/shooters out there,it is reasonable to think a huge percentage of them have family out there,and it is the parents primary responsibility to get their children involved any additional sources would be very benificial and enjoyable for our kids. How many of us have gun related material arive in the mail and on our computers? Think if our kids knew there was some thing in there for them how they would focus attention toward that as opposed to other ways to spend their free time that may not be as benneficial as this is. For the industries involved it would also be ensuring more lifelong readers and owners down the road. Start reading a particular magazine when young and it is still interesting when your older that is alot of years or subscriptions. Also if kids start seeing certian gun ads when young this may devolop a habit or desire to own certian brands-I loved the way the SuperRedHawk looked in ads while in school,quess what I hunt with.

Hope I did not get to windy and hope this opinion will help out you and the next generation also.

thanx again

good shootin
Old January 21, 2002, 12:16 AM   #2
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Missed this one...sorry.

I don't know about a dedicated Forum or Column. However, I do know that I agree with the intent. We've asked Ashley Emerson to wrack his earthworm sized brain () for topics he'd like to cover in S.W.A.T.: top of the list:
Training the Young Shooter.

Look for it in the next 3 or 4 issues.
Rich
Old January 22, 2002, 10:03 AM   #3
Justin

What about doing a continual column about young shooters?
You could do a quick interview or overview of what sport they shoot and how they got involved.
I recall reading a blurb somewhere in the past about a 15 year old kid who shot IPSC, and got the money for it by working at K-Mart.
Maybe something like that could be cool.
You could also do stories on the under 18 crowd who shoot skeet, do IDPA, benchrest shooting, hunting, etc.
I don't know if there is enough there for a monthly column, but maybe for something every few months?
Old January 22, 2002, 10:09 AM   #4
1redneck

Thanks for considering it. When I work at a gun club briefly I was supprised at the number of families that came to shoot. I think it would be difficult at first but would work in the long run. There are alot of young shooters out there.

Thanx again for all the hard work.

good shootin
Old January 22, 2002, 12:26 PM   #5
Rich Lucibella
Staff

One has to be very conservative in adding columns. Unless the subject matter can support a new and interesting article every 6 weeks, the column quickly becomes dead weight.

If we've never needed a Juvie Shooter Forum at TFL, I doubt dedicated space in S.W.A.T. would be a plus.
Rich
Old January 22, 2002, 02:47 PM   #6
C.R.Sam

San Gabrial Valley has a very active junior shooters program. Such seem to be very rare.

Could be tough indeed to keep a column going with new and interesting information. Would depend on steady input.

Sam