The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 1, 2013, 09:07 AM   #1
bigreds

92fs normal wear?

Hi.
I got a new out the box 92fs about a year ago and have shot almost 500 rounds. All the normal wear marks that I read about online are there, ie scuff marks on the barrel as it makes contact with the slide where it passes through.
My question is there are what look to be almost semicircular scuff marks to the bottom left of the barrel on the breech face, by the feed ramp. But none to the right. What could be causing this irregular wear?

Regards
Martin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg face 2.jpg (211.8 KB, 91 views)
Old May 1, 2013, 09:19 AM   #2
sidewindr

That is a normal wear on the beretta's. They don't have the greatest tight barrel lockup(at least not compared to a 1911) with so much room around the barrel's muzzle. I have 4 beretta's and all have odd/one sided wear marks(till I made 2 of them with a bushing at the muzzle similar to a 1911). If you look at where the barrel hits the slide opening at the muzzle, you will see it is at the bottom and to one side slightly. The wear mark you pictured will be on the other side. They are a "combat" gun, not a tight fitted bullseye gun. As long as it locks up the same each time, it will shoot good. Dead reliable also.
With a certain "improvement" they shoot pretty good too, to bad the trigger is what it is.
Old May 7, 2013, 01:36 PM   #3
bigreds

Thanks for the info sidewinder. I am glade to hear its normal.But I just cant work out what part of the slide is making the marks,or they are just machining marks I am now seeing.

Better photo now attached
Attached Images
File Type: jpg barrel2.jpg (203.1 KB, 36 views)
Old May 7, 2013, 03:09 PM   #4
Fishbed77

They look like machining marks to to me that were a little "proud" so the finish is wearing off them first.